likez2fly

Argus AAD

Hi,

I am looking for a bit of feedback on the new Argus AAD. I am looking at buying a new AAD, and am looking at the Cypress 2 and the Argus. I currnently have a Cypress 1 with about 4 years left on it, which I am selling to my brother to get him started. I just wondered if anyone has had any experience of the Argus, good or bad, to help me make the decision!!!

Cheers

Hi,

I am looking for a bit of feedback on the new Argus AAD. I am looking at buying a new AAD, and am looking at the Cypress 2 and the Argus. I currnently have a Cypress 1 with about 4 years left on it, which I am selling to my brother to get him started. I just wondered if anyone has had any experience of the Argus, good or bad, to help me make the decision!!!

Cheers

I currently have two Argus AAD's in my Wings. I took out the expired Cypres units and replaced them with the Argus units. I have been very impressed with the construction and quality of them. They come with four modes, Expert, Swoop, Student and Tandem, have a jump logging and freefall speed system, and are completely field serviceable. The best part is the batterires get replaced once per year and are only $6 compared to the Cypres $100+

They are also less than $1000, so I expect you'll be seeing a lot more of them around too.

The best part is the batterires get replaced once per year and are only $6 compared to the Cypres $100+

They are also less than $1000, so I expect you'll be seeing a lot more of them around too.

As soon as this recall matter goes away.

BTW, Cypres2 batteries are $0 for the 12 year term. Only accounts for < 100 of the price delta, but noteworthy all the same.

I've heard something about a recall as well, but all i know about it is that they made a whole new batch, all of which are sans the defect. My rigger is bringing some in, and both my fiance and I are both buying them.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Unfortunately they have posted nothing on their web site. Being secretative about this issue is not helping them. Having start up problems is expected, its how they handle the issues that says a lot.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

The best part is the batterires get replaced once per year and are only $6 compared to the Cypres $100+

As soon as this recall matter goes away.

I believe that the recall was limited to a batch of 40 units (might be wrong there) that needed a software revision. The company replaced them all with units with the newer software. AFAIK there's been no problem with them since then.

I guess Argus can now join Cypres and Vigil in the product recall club. It happens.

> My rigger is bringing some in, and both my fiance and I are both buying them.

I hope people know to check that their rig is approved for use with them before buying them. Would suck to buy one for a Talon only to realize they cannot be used with RI rigs.

No problems since? It was only 3 months ago.

Yeah, the other two had their issues. Esp in the case of Airtec, the key word is "had."

Indeed, and they had them at about the same time in their development as Argus. In fact, Airtec had a little bump in the road recentlty after the fatality of the swooper, which was well discussed elsewhere in these forums. Vigil just had to issue a notice about cutter gromets. Nothing's foolproof, so it makes sense to see how issues are dealt with when they arise. I think Argus handled theirs quicky and efficiently

> My rigger is bringing some in, and both my fiance and I are both buying them.

I hope people know to check that their rig is approved for use with them before buying them. Would suck to buy one for a Talon only to realize they cannot be used with RI rigs.

I belive that Argus have visited all the main container manufacturers to ensure that their AAD is compatible with their products. I know that they certainly did with Wings. A call to RI would be all that is needed.

I so also have argus in my rigs (micron), also some of my fellow slydivers. We have the july version and no problems what so-ever. And AIRTEC had problems but they NEVER >:(published anything about it!!! Missfires, no-fires (heard about incident few years ago in Germany DZ Schweighofen) etc...
Vigil in fact punished itself :oby publishing every incident. Argus made publishment in skydiving magazine.
I feel happy the airtec monopoly position is broken!!!
Now lets go up & fly, cause thats what it is all about no...?:ph34r:
Lets fly, thats what it is about no...

Yeah ,and i like vigil's and argusses way of handling the problems also the pr i think it's very @ argus vigil maybe less but cypres...
If you have a freakn missfire or somthing is wrong they send you a t-shirt
Like that' going to solve the problem and maybe safe your life>:(

>I belive that Argus have visited all the main container manufacturers
>to ensure that their AAD is compatible with their products.

From their website:
-----------------------------------------------------------
STATUS OF ARGUS AAD
Posted August 9, 2006
The Argus AAD is currently being tested our in our products. At this time the Argus is not approved for use in any RI products.

yeah, my rigger told me that they have been in contact with all container manufacturers and all are approved except talon and voodoo, which are in the works.

From the Relative Workshop website:

Argus Clarification

On April 12th, Carl Goortz visited Relative Workshop with several Argus AAD mock-ups, a unit was measured, and it was determined that it physically fit in our Vector, Micron, and Sigma rigs. At this point, a Relative Workshop engineer gave Mr. Goorts a letter stating that the Argus was compatible with our rigs. This simply meant that the Argus unit fits in our rigs. We apologize for the use of the word "compatible", because it could be taken to mean that we certify that the Argus actually works in our rigs. Because no working model has yet been made available to us, we have done no performance testing. Therefore, we can make no statement as to how well the Argus will actually perform in our equipment.

Every owner was notified, only 40 units were effected and every1 on their mailing list got a mail explaining the why and how. Not very secretative.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I just spoke with Bill Booth about this quote and he confirmed that the Argus AAD fits in our Harness Container System. This is as far as we will go in stating that it is compatable with our system.

Mark Klingelhoefer
United Parachute Technologies

From the Relative Workshop website:

Argus Clarification

On April 12th, Carl Goortz visited Relative Workshop with several Argus AAD mock-ups, a unit was measured, and it was determined that it physically fit in our Vector, Micron, and Sigma rigs. At this point, a Relative Workshop engineer gave Mr. Goorts a letter stating that the Argus was compatible with our rigs. This simply meant that the Argus unit fits in our rigs. We apologize for the use of the word "compatible", because it could be taken to mean that we certify that the Argus actually works in our rigs. Because no working model has yet been made available to us, we have done no performance testing. Therefore, we can make no statement as to how well the Argus will actually perform in our equipment.

Sorry, I replied to the wrong thread.