SeaKev

Once you go Mac...

I have gone and done something I swore I would never do. I purchased a Mac, MacBook Pro to be precise. I'm posting wirelessly via the new home network I just finished setting up.B| It was not without a few struggles, but it's up.

Now that I've moved into the 21st century, I figure I'll spend the next five years learning how to use this thing. So, any hot tips? Must trys?

Sorry, dude. What games I have, I'll be able to run once I get Parallels and XP loaded.:)

Good luck with that!! I've heard it can be...problematical...;)

Fortunately, Parallels is located about five minutes from me. I can knock pretty loud.:D

I figure I'll spend the next five years learning how to use this thing.

I bet you'll soon learn it's about like going from windows 98 to vista, not that hard to learn, if I can do it anyone can. And way better then windows crap, ilife rocks!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Sorry, dude. What games I have, I'll be able to run once I get Parallels and XP loaded.:)

The best games are ported to mac and will probably run very well on your new computer's graphics accelerator.

Smart things?

"alt-apple-esc" If any application misbehaves, you can kill it with this command. More effective than the windows task manager. I've had to use this quite a bit, as I run unstable beta software from time to time.

Adressbook synchronises with your bluetooth mobile phone if that phone uses v-cards.

Don't buy anti virus software, but do keep your computer's operating system up to date.

aMSN is a great replacement for MSN messenger, it supports video chat and is significantly faster when transferring files than msn messenger. It uses the same network and login.

Grapher is a really cool graphical caltulator, but this might only interest nerds.

Your computer will remember the password to your home network. It can also remember other passwords to other networks, and recognize them at once. It you need a fixed IP adress at one place, then go to a place where they use DHCP, your computer will remember, so once you've made the initial settings, you won't have to do anything to get online. Neat, huh?

Your computer will probably ask you to install something called "flip for mac" when you try to play wmv videos. It's a plugin for quicktime player that allows you to play wmv files.

I hope this was of any help!

:)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Did you make ANy attempt at setting up security on your wireless network?

Or are your neighbors really happy with their new wireless connection:D

Speaking of which, I need to put a wireless network into my house that'll run my desktop, my IBM laptop, and my girlfriend's mac laptop (after we get it fixed...fucked up power supply). Additionally, I'd like some sort of port near my entertainment center so I can route audio/video from the computer to the TV/surround sound. I've never built a network, wireless or otherwise. What do I need to buy to make all this work?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Hell, Dave. If I can do it, anybody can. I used a Linksys wireless-n router to bring everything together. Go to Linksys, click on support, and use the tutorials. They run the gamut, from "what is a network" to layouts that are way beyond me.

*DISCLAIMER* I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express

:o

I just have to say most of the computers in my company are Macs... The IT director ordered two Dell's for me and one of the interns, and attempted to set them up... The Dell machines were not working properly, so he starts a chat with the tech support. It went something like this:

IT: I've had more problems with these two Dell's in the last 12 hours than I have ever had with 27 Mac's in the past 2 years....

A day later, the CEO demands the Dell PCs to be shipped back to where they came from...

So, good for you on the Mac decision! :)

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Additionally, I'd like some sort of port near my entertainment center so I can route audio/video from the computer to the TV/surround sound. I've never built a network, wireless or otherwise. What do I need to buy to make all this work?

Make sure that you get a Wireless hub that also has a hard wire Cat5 capability..... and run a CAT5 cable to the system that will be plugging into the Entertainment senter.... Better performance that tossing it out on wireless for that application.