1 1
ikebonamin

Sabre 1 Vs Sabre 2

They are pretty much two totally different designs. The Sabre 1 is not eliptical at all, the Sabre 2 is lightly eliptical or tappered as PD describes it. The Sabre 2 is a big improvement from the Sabre 1. The openings are not as brisk as the Sabre 1 and I think the flare is much better on the Sabre 2. I would recommend the Sabre 2 over the Sabre 1 any day.

What robert said. The Sabre 1 is an old design the Sabre 2 is a totally different canopy. The only thing they share is a name. I own 2 Sabre 2's and personally think it is the best all around canopy on the market.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

There is still nothing wrong with a Sabre 1. I have been jumping a 150 for around 90 jumps now, while demoing a Pilot 150, 140, 132, Safire2 149 and Sabre2 135. While I like the Sabre2 much better, I just bought a Sabre1-120 with ~500 jumps or so....for only $250. If you are looking for a first canopy and cost is an issue, don't completely discount the original Sabre. If you are NOT on a tight budget, then yes, definitely get a Sabre2.

Also, the more experienced people on this site (in both years and jumps) would support the Sabre1 while there are some less experienced who think it is a deathtrap.

Well, imagine that the Sabre was designed in 1990ish, and the Sabre2 was designed in 2000ish. Maybe they figured out some things about ram-air canopies since then.

They are totally different, and the two sharing the name is very misleading, except for marketing power. My first new canopy was a Sabre2, after jumping a Sabre. I remember I pulled on the toggle up high, playing with the new canopy, and it spun me into induced line twists. The Sabre2 is an excellent canopy if you are stuck on PD...
Gravity Research Institute

Saber 2's are definitely "better", softer openings, better glide, quicker turns for instance, but if you're on a budget there's nothing wrong with a Sabre. If you have one that opens hard, then get a pocket slider and problem solved.

My advice is to stay away from a pocket slider as you will have much better results with a domed slider.

Actually, if you put an "H" mod on the nose and then use a dome slider, the openings are comparabile to a Crossfire.

You can also install a Vectran Line set to keep the canopy in trim.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Well, imagine that the Sabre was designed in 1990ish, and the Sabre2 was designed in 2000ish. Maybe they figured out some things about ram-air canopies since then.

They are totally different, and the two sharing the name is very misleading, except for marketing power. My first new canopy was a Sabre2, after jumping a Sabre. I remember I pulled on the toggle up high, playing with the new canopy, and it spun me into induced line twists. The Sabre2 is an excellent canopy if you are stuck on PD...

The Stiletto was made in 93 and it's still a nice canopy. Just because it's an older design doesn't mean it's bad. IMHO with maybe 40 jumps on a Sabres and ~300 on Sabre 2's I think that the Sabre 2 is a definite improvement, but I don't think it's as huge of a change as people say. The only thing I'd say that's totally different about it is the opening.

Actually, if you put an "H" mod on the nose and then use a dome slider, the openings are comparabile to a Crossfire.

Whats an "H" mod?

I asked this question already in another thread. Also, how much would it cost? I wonder if Clay @Byron knows how to do it (he's a masterrigger). I think some here told me $150 a couple of weeks ago. Would it make the performance closer to a Sabre2? Just curious.

Differences:

Sabre1 tends to open harder. They require a bit more care in packing, and many people add pocket sliders to slow them down. I put about 1000 jumps on a Sabre 1 150 with a pocket, and it worked well for me.

Landing stroke on the Sabre1 peaks early. If you're used to canopies from Icarus and Aerodyne, you'll tend to balloon until you learn to keep flare effort lower during the first part of the stroke.

Sabre 1's have been around a long time, so it's easy to get sold a lemon that has 2000 jumps on it and should really be retired. Buyer beware.

In terms of construction, Sabre2 is an elliptical, Sabre1 is a square. So you'll see somewhat higher performance in many areas (glide, turn rate etc) with the Sabre 2.

I am jumping a Sabre 1 170, for a first canopy and I feel that it is just fine, if you find a good deal on one go for it.
They do open hard unless you learn how to pack it just right. I have not made any mod's to mine but have learned how to slow the opening down a lot by rolling the nose and it works great! Really soft openings!!

I’ve got 200+ jumps on a Sabre1 170. Ehh I got slammed a few weeks ago at skyfest, I think I must have been rushing my pack job. For the most part I can get it to open soft and on heading. I think the flair leave a little to be desired at least as compared to the sabre 2’s I’ve jumped. I would trade it in for a sabre 2 170 any day, but it gets me down safely, It gets me down where I want it to go, and I don’t have the fundage for a new canopy at this time so all is good.

Other then the rare slammer (like 2-3 in the 200) I find it to be a VERY consistent canopy.

neilp

>and still think the ford pinto was a good car....

I think the analogy for that in the skydiving world would be the Nova. (Which is also a car, come to think of it . . .)

BTW I still have a Nova 150, if anyone wants a canopy real cheap!

The other opinion...

I prefer the Sabre 1.
I jumped a Sabre1 150 for 400 jumps, and really liked it (when packed right, I had no hard openings at all!). Then I tried the Sabre2 135 (2 different canopies) for about 30 jumps and didn't like them at all. The glide ratio was lower, it was NOT as responsive, and the flare wasn't as nice. I admit - I was used to the Sabre1, but I just didn't like the 2. I didn't keep it.

Sometime newer is not necessarily better...

From PD’s web sit.

A Note on Comparing Canopies: When comparing two different canopy designs, such as the original Sabre and the Sabre2, an accurate comparison can only be made if the canopies are the same size, they are flown under similar conditions, and they are flown by the same jumper, or by two jumpers of very similar size and weight. Comparing a 150 Sabre2 to a 170 square foot canopy, for example, would not yield an accurate comparison.

Comparing a Sabre1 150 against a Sabre2 135 is apples and oranges.

Straight Flight at full Glide: The Sabre2 and the original Sabre both fly at about the same airspeed, but the glide angle of the Sabre2 is a bit flatter. You may notice the Sabre2 gives you better penetration when flying into the wind, and carries you farther when flying with the wind at your back.

According to PD the glide is better with Sabre2

But like you said what you are used to can influence your perceived feel for the canopy.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

There are some more experienced people out there who thought and still think the ford pinto was a good car....

:P

HEY! I had a '74 Pinto (ugly-as-sin brown), and I thought it was just fine....

But then again, I also liked my '75 Vega hatchback...

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Steve
The definition of insanity is to keep doing things the same way, but then to expect different results. -Einstein

From PD’s web sit.
[

Straight Flight at full Glide: The Sabre2 and the original Sabre both fly at about the same airspeed, but the glide angle of the Sabre2 is a bit flatter. You may notice the Sabre2 gives you better penetration when flying into the wind, and carries you farther when flying with the wind at your back.

According to PD the glide is better with Sabre2

But like you said what you are used to can influence your perceived feel for the canopy.

mjo,
Can you explain "better penetration" but a flatter glide? To me, a flatter glide would imply less penetration, not better. If winds were such that I was barely moving forward or standing still, I was told that fronts (risers) would help penetrate to get some progress.

friday999,
Sabre1 better....you're just weird. I have no problem with my Sabre1's, but I'll take a Sabre2 anyday under equal considerations.

I'd also like to point out that the Sabre2 is a more advanced canopy than a Sabre1 in it's handling. I'd even venture to say that it is tuned to be the highest performance in its class (comparable canopies being Safire2 and Pilot, amongst others).

Turns are faster on the Sabre2 over the original Sabre, and the recovery arc is also different. Lightly loaded (<1.1) I don't know, but moderately loaded (1.3, 1.4 say) the Sabre2 is really quite an aggressive canopy.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13