sundevil777

Atlantis space shuttle takes strange route from CA to FL

Why it would go to Amarillo, Texas, then up to Offutt air force base near Omaha, Nebraska, on its way to Florida?

I understand the 747 with the shuttle on its back doesn't have the range to go across the country, especially at the relatively low altitude it flies on the way. I cannot understand why it would go from Amarillo up to Omaha. It appears that both Amarillo and Omaha are about the same distance from their final destination in Florida.

Any insight would be appreciated. Perhaps it is doing a publicity tour?

Aviation Week story where I got the info on the stopovers:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/space/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=04ce340e-4b63-4d23-9695-d49ab661f385&plckPostId=Blog%3a04ce340e-4b63-4d23-9695-d49ab661f385Post%3a270c0d81-35b9-4601-af1f-e43536446e63&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Has to go around the rain/storms. Lots of that in Texas/Ok today. It can survive 2000 degree heat on reentry, but no rain.

At least that makes some sense. I would have thought it would go straight to Omaha instead of bothering to stop in Amarillo. It seems like it can't be much farther, but maybe it just doesn't quite have the range.

Remember how the Bond movie had it lighting its engines and going into orbit, straight from the 747 - fueled, ready to go, no need for solid rocket boosters or external tank! That ranks high in the category of most implausible Bond moments. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am