Anyone tried VOIP lately?

Boring day. Decided to try Skype VOIP on the cheap. Grabbed the software. Got a cheesy microphone from Dollar Tree for $1, changed the connector so it would fit my soundcard and used my pc speakers to listen. Total cost, $1+ tax. Calls are free in US + Canada until 2007, maybe longer.

Worked pretty good considering what a hack job it was. The person I called said it sounded kind of like a speaker phone, probably because of slight feedback from speakers to mic. There was also a fairly large impedance mismatch between mic and soundcard. Currently wiring up and old telephone handset to replace the mic and speakers.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

My whole company is on VoIP and it's great. We also have unified messaging so when I get a VMX, it forwards my voice mails & faxes to my email which I play/open on my Q cell phone.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I am a firm believer in Vonnage.

Where else can you call people across the USA at no long distance fees.

I try to tell everyoe so it will put a hurting on those companies that charge you $10 to call someone 30 miles away for 30 minutes..then send you a bill for 30 or more with all those tax this and that...

What a rip off.........

Stay with Vonnage or your other lower cost VOIP....

Pass the word..
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

my friend has the comcast triple play (which includes voip). the quality is equal to a regular hardline. only problem is he needs a cellphone for whenever the cable goes out.

I've been on Vonage since their inception. All Cisco gear, sounds like POTS line, internet access to voice mail...great service!
Love it and it's the ceapest and best around.:)

Woo hoo....woo hoo hoo...Woo hoo....woo hoo hoo...Woo hoo....woo hoo hoo

Now you are gonna be stuck with it in your head for the rest of the day :P
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

I've been on Vonage for a while now too. It works well, but not great. I've had people complain that they can't hear me too well, although that could be just my phone. I occasionally have a little trouble if I'm really taxing my DSL (viewing a webex on one PC, DLing music on another and on vonage), but that doesn't happen often. For the price, you can't beat the level of service you get. I especially lovve getting my voicemails in an email.
Why does it say "Append signature to post" when I don't have a signature?

Well I have long distance on my cell phone so that isn't a big problem for me.

However I have been looking to get one of those Skype phones they have been pushing at BestBuy. They run anywhere from 20 bucks to 80 bucks. Apparently you can call anyone with an internet another phone for free.

It costs you a "small fee" if they just have a regular land line or cell phone.

Still seems like a cool PC gadget I "must have" lol

Also my work has VOIP and it sounds ok.

Vonage seems liek a rip off compared to it. This is just a USB phone. Vonage you need a router to split your internet signal. Most people now adays use cable internet soDSL or dial up and vonage would just be redundant!

DBR

Thanks for the info. Vonage seems to be better developed than most others. Since I have Skype working great now using a hacked cordless phone, I might stick with it for a bit longer. Watching the major VOIP players fight for market share in the next couple years will be interesting.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I just got a Skype phone finally. I got a GE which has two cordless phones and bases. So I like how I am not "wired" to the computer. Also the phones can be used in dual mode where you can use Skype or a traditional land line. I don't have a home phone so I paid the $30 a year to get my own phone number through Skype. Seems to be working ok. Bummer is you have to have high speed internet the computer turned on and the software running. Other than that it sure beats paying another home phone bill. I already have to pay a cell phone bill each month.

DBR
"... and I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it...."

Skype works well enough. Vonage is on the verge of going dark, Verizon has them strapped with lawsuits and it isn't looking good.

I won't use Cable as the telco because it isn't VoIP, it's a regular circuit and they can't sustain power if the power goes out.

So, yeah, I have a regular twisted pair POTS line, DSL, and a cell phone. If I lived in a Verizon telco area, I would try to get FiOS. But, I'm in a BellSouth/AT&T area, and their "U-Verse" isn't available here yet, and it's not true FTTP anyway.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Gawain,

Do you know if Verizon FIOS is on backup geneterators systems?

I don't know. However, since they're running it out of their COs and it's a combined service offering, it would stand to say "yes". Fiber costs about $40-50K per mile. I used to sell SONET rings in a previous job for VZ and it paid to keep as many systems up and running as possible in order to recoup investment.

However, that's no guarantee. I know that when the power goes out here in Kentucky, BellSouth only maintains power to POTS and the telephone switch, "internet" services halt, so the DSLAM goes dark.

Some cable companies have back-up power set up for their telephone service, but it's not universal.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!