Ronaldo

Stainless steel grommets for slider

Tried that, but it seems like they have only small dia grommets.
Shipping is not a problem, I've bought from Para-gear a couple of times. Customs is the real problemB|
Thanks
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Good idea, I guess canopy manufacturers will be the best option.
BTW, thanks for the DJ & Associates link. I didn't know that one, very good source of supplies.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

You're welcome. The really good thing about DJ & Associates is, they fill small orders and their products are top of the line. Manufacturers are very helpful in regard to selling to 'the public'. I've ordered materials from them for repairs and their prices are good, also. Good luck to you!

Chuck

Why do you want stainless steel grommets?
SS grommets have fallen out of fashion since soft connector links (i.e. PD Slinks) were introduced.
Now that we no longer have to worry about metal banging against metal, brass slider grommets are back in fashion.

Besides, stainless steel grommets require very strong/large/expensive presses to install.

Rob,
SS grommets are required for Vectran lines.
Vectran lines will saw right throught the soft brass ones and destroy the line set along with the grommets.

Try Challenge Sailcloth on the East coast.
You will need a 20 ton hydraulic press, the die set and 25 mm rings(grommets).
I buy my stock from them.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Thanks Mel, you’re right, I need ss grommets because I may reline my Cobalt with Vectran in a near future. I just did an h-mod on it to fix some opening issues, so far it seems to be working well but I still have an Xfire on the closet in case I get another slammer.
Although I can have access to a large press and die set I’m starting to think it would be much simpler to order one. BTW, could you install these grommets for me? Is it possible to replace the original ones instead of making a new slider?
Safe skies

Although I can have access to a large press and die set I’m starting to think it would be much simpler to order one. BTW, could you install these grommets for me? Is it possible to replace the original ones instead of making a new slider?

Ronaldo,
We can remove the brass ones and install SS with no problem.
Just let me know if we can help you.

Thanks,
MEL

Are you saying that Vectran is as abrasive as Kevlar?

How abrasive is HMA?

Ya know, reading on Spectra, Dacron, Vectran, Kevlar and HMAs at places like...

http://www.fibersource.com/f-tutor/prods.htm

I have a tough time understanding the difference between an HMA and Kevlar... they both seem to be "Aramids", but not quite the same thing?

Anyway, I didn't think the problem with Kevlar was that it is abrasive, but rather that it is suseptable to abrasives? ... i.e. when used as suspension lines on parachutes, Kevlar doesn't play nice with the sand and grit it encouters on "landing", "packing", etc.

Rob,
I do not have any thing to compare with in the Kevlar end of things.
The only canopies I have dealt with Kevlar lines are reserves and they are not used enough to see if they are wearing the grommets.

The earlier "course' braided Vectran was extremely abrasive to brass grommets.

BS,
MEL

Are you saying that Vectran is as abrasive as Kevlar?

How abrasive is HMA?

I was also curious so I did a quick test rubbing a piece of Vectran line against a brass grommet to see if there was really a possibility of damage. It took only a few seconds to see the marks inside the grommet.