apt3studiodiver

dont trust it...

.. Had my very trusty altimeter go out for the first time ever.. On the way up, checked it periodically, perfectly fine. Just like any other jump..., however after exit, halfway into our free fall of a 3 way belly, I noticed that I was consistently at 8 thousand feet. Checked my alti moments later and was still at 8k. Realized very quickly that my altimeter was malfunctioning. Tracked to the outermost position that I could get to while still seeing my dive group, and pulled at the appropriate time.

As a relative newb to skydiving (50 jump wonder), the posts that iterate TRUST YOUR EYES!!!.. are not to be taken for granted. An altimeter being a man made device WILL NOT ever do as good as a job as the two orbs that sit between your head.. The alti I used is an alti master II full analog. Trust your your instincts not your gear. I ve read many a posts about it and this is one of first times those pearls of wisdom many has shared has rung true for me..
www.apt3studios.com
www.musicpromotiononline.com
www.internetcafegaming.com
D.S. # 4321

or just have more than one altimeter.

Or just trust your eyes enough that you don't have to throw more gear at a problem to get past it safely.

What are you saying here.... is it better to have 2 altimeters... or 3 or 4 or wtf?

Go jump without an altimeter once. It aint hard. If it is then think about that.
Owned by Remi #?

Go jump without an altimeter once. It aint hard. If it is then think about that.

I'm not keen on this advice. Even in countries where it would be legal (it wouldn't in mine), you're introducing a potential risk to prove a point.

I'd prefer someone jump with an altimeter but make a conscious effort on that jump to use his/ her 'internal clock' and visuals to judge altitude, cross-referencing with the altimeter as necessary.

I'm not keen on this advice. Even in countries where it would be legal (it wouldn't in mine), you're introducing a potential risk to prove a point..

In principle, it's a better idea than you're giving it credit for. I remember, shortly before I got my A license, the first jump I made without any kind of AAD or RSL (1970's technology). My very first jump in which it was a 100% certainty that if I didn't pull, on my own, I would die. Making that jump definitely boosted my self-confidence.

Andy, I know where you're coming from and I'm very big on self-reliance. I made my first 800 jumps on my own gear without any kind of AAD, and it never bothered me. These days I'll still happily jump my rig even when my Cypres is away for a service, and it surprises me how many people won't - but on balance, I'd prefer to be with my AAD than without it.

Even though I seldom look at my altimeter, I admit it'd give me the jitters to jump solo without one. In a trusted group with one or more working altis between them, much less of a problem.

For me it's about breaking the infamous 'chain of events' early. Being able to know exactly how high you are (rather than just believing you have a rough idea) is one way to lessen the likelihood that you'll be needing that AAD.

You know thinking about it, it's so many years since I last jumped solo from altitude that it'd probably give me the jitters anyway! ;)

Any sound reason for running away from the two workable altimeter of your partners?

We already had a good amount of separation happening, that would mean me working back down to get to him. Since I was above, i just tracked to clear some horizontal separation and kept my eye on his pull time and the ground so if he was off or i felt i as too close i woud've pulled regardless of his outcome
www.apt3studios.com
D.S. # 4321

Good on ya! Nice situational awareness. Back in the day our learning started at 2500 feet and went up from there. You learn what 2500 looks like.

I think you did an awesome job. Now, go get a new alti ;)

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I'd prefer someone jump with an altimeter but make a conscious effort on that jump to use his/ her 'internal clock' and visuals to judge altitude, cross-referencing with the altimeter as necessary.

Granted I'm an ole fart, but that's what I do EVERY jump.

My altimeter is mostly used to check exit altitude to make sure I got my $'s worth, and to see if I actually opened where my 'eyes' told me to. ;)

I suggest one way of training yourself is to constantly look outside the aircraft during the climb out, and then check the dial.

Especially at lower altitudes.

It's best to train yourself to rely on your 'ass-o-meter' instead of your 'alt-o-meter'...if you look down in freefall and can't pound a furniture tack in yer ass with a sledge hammer, you are below the hard deck and better get busy unpacking.

It's better to rely on instinct once properly conditioned, looking at the dial might cost you time you might need on the bottom end. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm not keen on this advice. Even in countries where it would be legal (it wouldn't in mine), you're introducing a potential risk to prove a point.

Visuals OK

Internal clock doesn't work so well on, for example, a wingsuit jump if you've become accustomed to head down or RW.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

if you look down in freefall and can't pound a furniture tack in yer ass with a sledge hammer...

Interesting metaphor.

I just got back from a couple of weeks in romantic Italy, forgive my tendency to wax-poetic. ;)

if you look down in freefall and can't pound a furniture tack in yer ass with a sledge hammer, you are below the hard deck and better get busy unpacking.

And if you look down and you could pound a furniture tack into a piece of furniture, then... you're probably too late to unpack. :D

It seems your altimeter got really jammed. An altimeter can also shows the wrong altitude for few seconds when it is mounted in such a way that it is in a partial vacuum (in this case it will indicate a higher altitude). It depends on the jumpsuit or/and the location (wrist, chest strap...).
Mechanical altimeter have to be serviced once in a while. They comprise several gears, levers and a tiny chain + pivots which need to be lubricated with a special oil made for watches maintenance.
Now, I suggest you to also wear a audible altimeter.
Trusting your eyes only is not always a solution since you can have a wrong perception of the distance from you to the ground. Over water for instance, it is difficult to judge this distance, same over a uniform ground like the desert with no known objects as a reference. I was jumping at Orange Massachusetts in 1975 and after a style jump, I looked at the bowl below me and right away I pulled. I was still at 4500 feet. No wonder, at the time, Orange had a 300 feet diameter sand bowl. I was just used to smaller 30 feet bowls. More recently at Rantoul at the World freefall Convention, one time I was just over the town in freefall and when I saw the houses and the street right below me I pulled immediately. I was at 5000 feet.
The safest way is to use a combination of several devices like: altimeter, beepers and eyes and make sure to pull according the "device" indicating the lowest altitude.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

For me it's about breaking the infamous 'chain of events' early. Being able to know exactly how high you are (rather than just believing you have a rough idea) is one way to lessen the likelihood that you'll be needing that AAD.

Yes, well... I paid over 1000 euros for my brand spanking new AAD.

Might as well get my money's worth by breaking another chainlink downstream of altitude awareness.:)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

altimeter, beepers and eyes and make sure to pull according the "device" indicating the lowest altitude.

Yes, I never thought I would want an audible, but this incident made me rethink that stance. I think a new altimeter, an audible and keeping my eyes 'in training' is definitely the way to go. The alti I was using was one of the rentals at the the DZ, so this winter (Ohio) thats the first two things I will be getting, new main alti and an audible. My eyes are staying put so that device will be around for a while. :)
www.apt3studios.com
D.S. # 4321

i had mounted my viso in a way last week that blocked the 'hole' on the backside(no pun) which I believe needs to be clear for accurate reading. It would function, just not very quickly, ie during my 270 if gave a glance at the start of the turn. made a mod to the mount that allowed the 'hole' no blockage and all was fine. Always trust your eyes.

Standard equipment in the old days was to have a stop watch in addition to the altimeter.

Though many used it as a timer for maneuvers such as style, others used it as a backup.

I agree that the newer method would be an audible but the one I bought isn't very reliable.

I forgot my wrist mount altimeter recently on a jump but just watched the other jumpers and pulled accordingly. I realized how much I relied on the altimeter for canopy setup but it wasn't that big a deal.

In the round days I don't think I even looked at it once opened, but with squares I found it to be a great reference tool.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I suggest one way of training yourself is to constantly look outside the aircraft during the climb out, and then check the dial.

I seem to remember that method being taught to students back in the day.
Students were first out and since there were not seats or doors it gave you something to work on during the lighting like climbs to altitude.:P

Sparky

P.S. When you are looking at the ground look at cars and houses. They are always about the same size.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

(breaking out the popcorn - again)

I have an internal clock, my eyes, a varying number of jump buddies, a wristmount, and an audible (which is set at 3½, 2½, 1½). I sometimes take a second wristmount and/or a second audible. They still come last.

Glad your audible works for you.
Johan.
I am. I think.

A nice little reminder at three points in the jump. I have mine set for 7k, 5k and 2.5k

What's the 7k 'reminder' for...that yer still fallin'?! ;)

Mine's set for break off, deployment, and then my hard deck...and it's usually going off as I'm already doin' 2 out of the three.

Mine's set for break off, deployment, and then my hard deck...and it's usually going off as I'm already doin' 2 out of the three.

At Kitty Hawk mine was set at 7,000, break off, 5,000, deployment and 1.500, my hard deck. :P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals