JoeBobinNC

Who bought an iPhone today?

Anybody? I am very excited about this thing. I'd like to be my next phone. The reviews are consistanly positive. That's rare for something with this much hype surrounding it's release.

Anyone have any first hand experience?

It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice.

If somebody did buy one today, wouldn't that prove the existance of time travel?

'Cause like, I don't think they go on sale until the 29th.

I knew that I was just being proactive. I may be too busy to post this on the 29th

It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice.

remember the ROKR?
Lisa?
Cube?
Newton?
Quadra?
Network Servers?
:|
I'm thinking this one may have a shot at being added to this list also...especially given that AT&T is now involved.
besides...it's only a cell phone people!

Anybody? I am very excited about this thing. I'd like to be my next phone. The reviews are consistanly positive. That's rare for something with this much hype surrounding it's release.

Blah. I don't get all the excitement. Its just gonna be old, tired technology
this time next year and the simple fact is that people just don't need this shit.

Surf the internet from anywhere? Big freakin deal. If I'm surfing the internet from the meadow then I'm not really "in the meadow", now am I?
Maybe my body is, but my mind isn't.

This technology just robs people of fully experiencing "the moment", and stops you from having your whole mind with you wherever that may be
at any given time.

I have a cell phone. I forget it and leave it in the car most of the time.

I don't "text".

The only time I use the damn thing is when I'm on call or I call my wife to tell her I'm on my way home from the DZ :)
I'm just not available to everyone 24x7 and I like it that way.

I know I sound like a crotchety old man.

Well, good! :)
Next thing you know people will be taking calls and surfing the internet in freefall :S
__

My mighty steed

booyah!

I think more of us will feel this way as time goes on.
I would prefer to have my life and personal time to myself and not the entire planet!
As if drivers aren't distracted enough already...give them a hand held computer that does everything???

:S:S:S:|

first gen IPODs with no removable battery?

same story this time you know...battery is fixed and NOT user replaceable. This will be the only cell on the market with that "feature"

good luck with that.:D

Apple already knows that the battery only needs to last until the next super exciting, must have, better thing comes out :S

After that, who cares? :)
__

My mighty steed

exactly...but apparently you and I are the only ones that don't care.
Isn't it nice to actually stop and enjoy life?
Why is it when I have a beer with my buddies I never get interrupted while they are always going outside every few minutes????
:)I'll pass on the technological implant into my existence thank you very much!B|

Surf the internet from anywhere? Big freakin deal. If I'm surfing the internet from the meadow then I'm not really "in the meadow", now am I?

This technology just robs people of fully experiencing "the moment", and stops you from having your whole mind with you wherever that may be
at any given time.

Kinda like post-whoring, right?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Will you PLEASE stop with all the hand-waving and noise!>:(

How are we going to get useful feedback from the beta-tes^H^H^H...errr...early adopters if you discourage them from test^H^H^H...err...buying it?[:/]

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

+1 here!!
I am not a fan of Apple. They are Master of Style and Hype over Substance.

I still think the iPod sucks (Over priced, Limited Functionality, Disposable) and have no reason to think that the iPhone would be any better. But the sheep will line up to say how great it is because they bought one and it does everything Apple told them they wanted to do.:S:D

And on Cingular EDGE As well.. That is strike 2, 3 , 4 and 5 right there.

Yeah, well, sure...if you want to be all fuckin' sane and reasonable about it.

FallRate

+1 here!!...

Add me to that list too!

I don't carry a brick around, but my phone is fairly old school. I certainly don't run out and get a new phone every year! I have yet to drop my phone in the toilet, or off several stories, or lose it, but if I were to get a $600 phone (is that still the going rate?), that'd probably be the first things I'd do, knowing me! :S I'd rather have my cheap (but good) phone that I can replace. Plus my phone has little features that I personally care about, that some of the newer phones don't have! I don't care about my phone doubling as an MP3 player, or video camera, or mini computer with internet connection. I want to call and text with it. And the two cell phones that I have had were either free, or damn near free after a mail in rebate/contract extension. Call me cheap if you want, but my current phone (almost free) has everything I need in a phone! It's not even blue tooth capable, but I don't think I want to encourage myself to be on the phone while I'm driving anyway! I'm just not that way. I'll call back when I pull over/get to my destination!
~skysprite

Just take a look at this if you think the iPhone will be a flop.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ta?s=AAPL&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&p=&a=&c=

How many people here would be willing to bet against that track record. Personally, I'm not going to buy one. I'll wait a year or two for the 2nd and 3rd generation But I think Jobs is on the right track with the iPhone and combining everything into one portable unit.

I'll just wait 2 years until it's practically free, like I did with the Razr ;). That thing was $600 when it first came out, now they give them away. Somehow I doubt Apple will let that happen, though...

Given that Apple has a whopping 2-3% of worldwide sales...I wouldn't go betting the farm on it.
but then again, statistics can always be massaged to one's liking and support...:P
and I still only need a phone to be just that. there are different experience evironments based on the tool or function I desire. with the audio and home theater setup a lot of us have at home, why would I want AM radio performance? I have a wide screen PC at home that doesn't require reading glasses and magnification to read...why change that to a pocket window??
it's all about choice I suppose...choose your weapon.B|

2-3% of worldwide sales on computers maybe, but i'd be interested to know what the stats on the MP3 players are and i'd put the iphone much more squarely in that sort of a market.
That said, i'm not getting one. I use my phone for phonecalls and texting, have been there done that with all the other features and most of them are just a PITA
Never try to eat more than you can lift

have been there done that with all the other features and most of them are just a PITA

I have no interest in the iphone either, but I think the whole point of the iphone was to make those PITA features actually work well. No idea if they accomplished their goal.

Dave