patrickweldon

Mosquitos....

I am considering putting a mosquito misting system in my back yard. Does anyone have experience with these, or with any of the other mosquito systems - such as the propane CO2 tanks, etc.

I live on the water in Mississippi, about a 2 acre back yard. Mosquitos limit the fun close to sunset.

The ones that seem to work best are based on CO2 emissions as that's supposed to be the main attractant for the little pests. They're not cheap, but if the blood suckers are really crimping the fun, it might be worth it. The other side of the coin, if there are that many around, for every one that gets trapped, there's several of his siblings around to continue the family business.

Try putting in a bat house; or even more of them. That might be better than pumping stuff into the air for your family to breathe. Even CO2 isn't the best thing in the world for your family to breathe.

2 wet acres in Mississippi is definitely prime mosquito country.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

2 wet acres in Mississippi is definitely prime mosquito country.

We all know that mosquitos are Mississippi's state bird, right? :|

ltdiver

Those suckers will pick you up and carry you off!:D

Chuck

Mosquitoes zone in on your CO2 emisissions, like bees do. Try not to exhale! :)
Put a smoke emitter downwind.. elephant dung works great!

Seriously, you can spray your house with a general repellant (ask dairy farmers what they use to keep flies away). That repels mosquitoes for 6 months at a time. We use Cynthisun and it keeps a 10 metre buffer zone. My offspring have 15 toenails and a hairy patch in the centre of the forehead but no mosquito bites! :P

Rob-By
Check it out at http://www.skydive.co.zw Clicky!

The mosquitos are really bad here this year and I planted some Pennyroyal (herb) in a pot on my deck. I've seen a few here this year but it seems to be working to keep the little buggers away. They say it's a natural insect repellent. It makes a good ground cover and it likes moist conditions so your yard sounds like it'll LOVE it there.

It probably won't get rid of all them but it might make things a little more bearable.

Good luck with whatever you choose!!
'Shell

Growing up on the Alabama coast just east of you, I saw people have great success using the all natural method...Purple Martins.
You have to find a place locally that has the gourds for sale with the proper sized hole for the Martin.
If you put up enough places for the Martins to nest, they will take care of your mosquito problem without any further input from you. They are known to eat pounds of mosquitos every day.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"