jumppilot01

Pissed

WARNING: self-rant

OK, I have not jumped since October. I moved to Seattle, have no health insurance, which means no jumping for me. I am very ticked, since I've practice packed my rig 4 times since then.

Pretty much it equals this: I graduated college, moved in with my parents and they won't let me jump due to the no insurance issue.

At the 2002 WFFC I had the time of my life...Jumping partying and living! But alas, the real world struck.

Man I need another beer.

Thanks for listening.

-Jump

PS: I am going to the drop zone next month come hell or high-water.

I graduated college, moved in with my parents and they won't let me jump due to the no insurance issue.

Since you've graduated from college, I'm assuming you're in your early 20's and are technically considered an adult. I think you could probably make your own decisions now and not just do what your parents say you can do. Now, I won't jump without health insurance, but that's just my decision. But, I know plenty of people who do.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

(grabbing another beer)

Andrea, good point. However, my parents are my bread and butter, and you can't bite the hand that feeds you. Like I said, I'm going to the DZ next month (when the Seattle wx clears), so they'll have to deal with it...I've gone too long without an air bath (and spent too much money!)!

blue skies,
-jump

moved in with my parents and they won't let me jump due to the no insurance issue

Do they ever need to know?

Why not take them to the dz one weekend, show them how everything works, show them how safe it can be and have them watch you jump - if they've built skydiving up in their mind to be this big death-wish thing it may help them understand the reality.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Hey, Adam! I'm guessing that you were under one of your parents' health insurance during school, right? If you were, you can usually purchase extended coverage so that you are covered for a few extra months after a recent graduation. (Most insurance companies have something like that since it's somewhat uncommon that recent college grads have a job right out of college that gives them health benefits immediately...I got lucky with mine, though!)

Come back to Indiana!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

However, my parents are my bread and butter, and you can't bite the hand that feeds you.

In the long run, an attitude like that will get you farther. You're at least considering issues besides what you want RIGHT NOW! There's probably a part of them that's worried about losing their child, and another about being bothered for hospital bills because you don't have insurance. Yes, you're an adult and it shouldn't happen, but do you really think the hospital wouldn't? Yeah, right.

There are years and yeard to jump. Of course, you can always change your mind >:(.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You can always get individual insurance. Blue Cross/Blue Shield are good about skydiving-caused injury coverage, and an individual plan for someone in their 20's is usually less than $100/month for a basic HMO. That way, you can keep your parents happy, cover your a$$, and get back in the air!

Good luck!
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Yes,
Wiser to wait it out until you have medical insurance.
While in SoCal, I did about a thousand tandems without medical insurance. It always scared me when they hauled one of my colleagues off to the hospital to get his knee/ankle, etc put back together.

I think you could probably make your own decisions now and not just do what your parents say you can do.

Mama, do your kids have an Email address? I want to send them some advice. Don't listen to your parents...well I never.:P
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Excellent! Finally, someone pissed about something in their control to fix.:S

In all seriousness, my friend, I'm in nearly that same position. I just recently passed one year without a single jump because I have a shitty job and no insurance and I have other things that absolutely must be paid on. I love skydiving, it hurts not jumping, but in the next few months I'll be back in the sky AND I won't have a lot of worries hanging over me. My advice to you would have to be....and this is gonna hurt....don't jump until everything's right for you. The insurance thing, whatever you feel you do, but me, that's a risk I'll take but I won't try any craziness then. If you've got bills or needs that require money, do that first. Of course, that's just my opinion;)

Truman Sparks for President

The insurance thing, whatever you feel you do, but me, that's a risk I'll take but I won't try any craziness then. If you've got bills or needs that require money, do that first.

I was screwed financially for years because of a car accident without enough auto insurance. Even a short hospital stay would be much worse. You think you're strapped for cash now....hoo boy!!

Jumppilot01 -- did your parents happen to see on tv the reports that KIRO-TV did on Kapowsin recently? Could that play a role in their decision...?

>:(>:(>:(GRRRRRRRRRRR>:(>:(>:(
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I'm an aviation major...The industry isn't doing too well.

I actually do have a job as a flight instructor, but I have no benefits.

I've found a new job though and start that next month...No benefits...The life of a starting pilot.

It's disgusting the way they treat pilots.

"Here, you're responsible for the lives of everyone aboard the aircraft, you're highly trained, you've had to go deep into debt to get that training, you've shown dedication, intelligence, and skill. Now shut up and accept $19k/yr with no benefits."

:mad:

When you think about it, it's really pretty psychotic how they piss on people who fly thousands of pounds of people and metal overhead. They even tell them that they're not worthy of carrying a sidearm to defend against hijackers. But, um, we can trust them to fly the plane at 400mph.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

I'm an aviation major...The industry isn't doing too well.

I actually do have a job as a flight instructor, but I have no benefits.

I've found a new job though and start that next month...No benefits...The life of a starting pilot.

what are your ratings? You fly a Caravan, Otter? Several DZ's lookign for pilots...Tons of flight instructing jobs in Texas! They can't find enough instructors....... Most regional airlines are hiring. Some with 500 TT, and 100 hr multi......(although your are right, pay sucks starting out)

Im a jumper in Australia. I don't know of one person who jumps over here that is so concious about taking out health insurance. Why is it so prevalant in America?

I think in Australia you have some basic coverage provided by the government and so you don't have to pay if you get hurt. That is not the case in the USA. If you get hurt in the USA and don't have insurance, you will get a bill that can be very large. When I go to the USA I get travellers insurance coverage so I won't have pay a large bill.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy