Allballs

STDs on your dz

@Lisa and kbordson

I'm implying that you would tell in that situation, so does it matter if they're using precautions or not? In my opinion the only precaution is absentise.

@everyone

So if someone is sleeping around reguardless of precaution or not, will you still tell?

good thread,

I have a question, if someone is sleeping around but using precautions would you still tell? Example, The guy has the STD, but using a condom. The Girl doesn't know about the STD.

Okay...so say the guy is using protection and you THINK that he hasn't discussed this with the girl. So you tell her.

And she goes off and hangs out with the guy anyway (I won't say have sex because who knows what goes on behind closed doors?) Do you assume that she has whatever he has and tell everyone to stay away from her? Do you think she's nuts because she went away from the watchful eyes of everyone and hung out with the guy? Is she now branded as a risk to everyone who is remotely attracted to her and must be outted?

And at the point of informing someone their potential bedmate is infected with something, do you expect to be informed of THEIR status?

You can be sued for disclosing someone's HIV/AIDS status in the US. You can also be held liable if disclosing results of another person losing their job (insurance companies aren't allowed to tell employers) or their lives, their home, or cause them mental anguish by being outcast.

I would still go to the person who I believe is infected and encourage them to and tell them 'please tell them the deal or at LEAST get them to a testing site.'

If the person who is 'not infected' is making bad decisions, wouldn't his/health be better served in making sure they haven't ALREADY done themselves damage?

If the person were someone close to me, I think a simple 'you don't want to go there, I think s/he sleeps around a bit too much for you' would suffice.~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

I have no idea about Canada, Richard. I do know that in Missouri, I have rights regarding my privacy whether in the work place (where it was leaked out), outside the work place and what goes on in the Dr.'s office. I would have no problem of someone, who knows of my status, asking me if she knows. I would, however, have a problem with a person going around the dz telling every person of my own or another persons status. Whether that person thinks that they are doing the right thing and are protecting everyone from a diseased person has no bearing in regards to another's privacy. The person disclosing, for one thing, would not had been privy to the conversation that would had taken place before the two had relations, therefore, the person would only be disclosing the status of another based soley on what they believe of the person they are outing. By disclosing another's status to others opens the poz person to discrimination not only at the dz but outside as well. Information that is treated as confidential can leak into the work place via one person knows another person who knows someone who works with the person who is HIV+. It is quite possible that the persons family may not even know and again information that is private can leak back. The consequences of exposing ones status can affect that persons life in a negative way. HIV/AIDS has a huge stigma attached to it and the majority of those infected keep it between themselves and those extremely close to them. (As you can tell, I am not one of those people:)Disclosing someone's status on an assumption could set a person up for a lawsuit. There are plenty of lawyers who handle nothing but discrimination lawsuits as it is a lucrative business.
If a person is concerned the right thing to do would be to go directly to the person who is poz (or whatever std they may have) and ask them (don't accuse them).
If you want more information, one only needs to do an internet search on the legal rights of such. The ACLU is a good place to start as is the many HIV/AIDS organization websites.
Oh, by the way, I wasn't trying to personalize when I refered to those guys as friends but thanks for thinking that I am "sunny" :D. No one has ever said that to me before. :D

"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

but thanks for thinking that I am "sunny" :D. No one has ever said that to me before. :D

:D

It was that warm and fuzzy avatar of yours.:D
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

If you knew someone on your dz had an STD and they are sleeping around, spreading it around, Would you tell?

Would that be considered a HIPAA violation? :D

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

If you knew someone on your dz had an STD and they are sleeping around, spreading it around, Would you tell?

*****shudder******

Don't get me wrong, pt confidenitiality is a GOOD thing, just the paperwork to try to get consults or other opinions or ..... paperwork sucks!

If it were a friend sleeping with someone I knew had an STD, I'd prob'ly just say something like, "There's some really funky stuff getting passed around the dz. I'd be really careful if I were you. Some of that shit sticks with ya' a LOOOOONG time."

OTOH, if they get the clap or something, maybe it'll be a reminder to take more precautions next time. Who knows....
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Im a jumper in Australia. I don't know of one person who jumps over here that is so concious about taking out health insurance. Why is it so prevalant in America?

PSSST,, Scotty,,, we are married now. WE don't have to fear anymore.
Its a good day to LIVE, why puck up a good thing.

There is no reply in aad section for. " hell no i would not put an AAD on my back"

i know it not the case with you, but was there a case a while back where someone was charged with murder or something like that, because they had aids and were sleeping around?

I've seen many male prostitutes arrested for "felony prostitution" when the pros. is hiv positive.

Ya' know....all the teenagers I see in clinic, I discuss sex with 'em. We go through every STD and immediate and long-term consequences. It blows my mind how many just don't realize that there's more to STDs than a little stinky discharge. We discuss protection, and what condoms protect against and what they do not. Sometimes people think they're being safer than they are.

On another note, I've thought and thought about Gardasil. I AM recommending it to all the kids and young adults. BUT I inform them the best I can about its limitations and the importance of continued pelvic exams/ Pap smears, and why.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I have HSV-1, otherwise known as oral herpes. So do most of the rest of you, even if you don't know it (and many of you probably don't). I generally get cold sores once or twice a year, especially after a weekend of jumping in the spring without using Carmex. Who here would take it upon themself to ensure any woman I hooked up with knew that I sometimes get cold sores? Not that I wouldn't tell her myself, but what would make it your business to check up on me?

Personally, I don't want to be involved in drama, so unless it was a particularly good friend being exposed to a particularly nasty disease (i.e. deadly), I wouldn't say a word.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

ONly if you are their direct healthcare provider. However say you were an ex or something like that. I would say it is free game. However the next question is would be can you stand this person not talking to you ever again?
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Have manifest announce it over the loudspeaker.

Have her say it as not to offend. Maybe name your team something like "Melissa's Got Crabs" so everyone gets the point but it is not calling her out.

:D

bwahahhahaha

MB 3528, RB 1182

Personally, I don't want to be involved in drama, so unless it was a particularly good friend being exposed to a particularly nasty disease (i.e. deadly), I wouldn't say a word.

Same here.

We're all adults (physically, anyway). As such, we should already know the risks. If someone chooses to sleep around unprotected and "catches" something, then they get to deal with the consequences of their decision.

The concepts of personal responsibility and risk management apply to many dz situations other than skydiving. imho, this is one of them.

ONly if you are their direct healthcare provider. However say you were an ex or something like that. I would say it is free game. However the next question is would be can you stand this person not talking to you ever again?

Screw it! I say "Stop spreading the HIV"

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!