flygrrrl95

How many lawyer/skydivers?

Of course I know you love me, but don't let the other docs know your dirty little secret or you might get the boot.

It's amazing that people (skydivers) have such distaste for lawyers, until they know one and want free legal advice. :P

I just think its cool that as skydivers we have such amazing resources within our own community. Someone at the DZ (or on DZ.com) can help you with just about any problem or answer any question you have. I love skydiving!!!

Counselor Fleep Flops

Same goes for us in the medical profession...really not different except we can write prescriptions;)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Just hit 10 years of practice. Currently with a great small defense firm litigating products liability, employment and commercial matters. My partners think I'm insane for skydiving. But I did get one of the associates to agree to come do a tandem this year at Skyfest.

Licensed in Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana. I will NEVER take another damn bar exam.

In Louisiana you don't have to take the multi-state portion but I had to un-learn everything I knew about common law property, contracts etc... and learn it from a civil (french) code. It has been interesting to say the least.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Lawyers only detract from society and add nothing to the GNP or society in general thus all the parasite analogies."

I was admitted to the Illinois Bar in 2004. I currently work as a law clerk for a federal district court judge in Chicago. It's a nice job to have, although the pay is not amazing.

For anyone out there considering law school, listen very carefully to people like Thanatos340. Many people dislike lawyers intensely, for reasons that are not always completely rational. "Lawyers only detract from society?" Try telling that to a criminal defendant accused of a crime he didn't commit. Or to an indigent person facing eviction from section 8 housing. But my point is not to quarrel with people like Thanatos. These folks simply hate for no reason, and this is what you will face as a lawyer. Not to mention long hours and terrible stress. Check out the job satisfaction statistics for lawyers - very low. Think long and hard before choosing law as a profession, folks.

Many people dislike lawyers intensely, for reasons that are not always completely rational. "Lawyers only detract from society?" Try telling that to a criminal defendant accused of a crime he didn't commit.

Again.. It is not the Person, But the profession that I have distain for. I do understand that some Lawyers are necessary.
Also please note that the actions that you mentioned were initiated by a Lawyer (Prosecutor or Real estate attorney) requiring someone else to have to get a lawyer to fight the action.

As the number of lawyers in this country continues to increase, you will see more and more frivolous actions as these people need work. Every time an action is initiated by one lawyer, That just creates work for other lawyers. None of this is productive to society in way at all.

Also adding to many people distain is the fact that any interaction with lawyers is almost always under duress.

Way too many of our Brightest Minds are going into law. Science, Engineering and Medicine are suffering because of this.

Like I said, I know MANY lawyers that are genuinely good people and I personally respect but that doesn’t change how I feel about lawyers in general. They are truly blight on society sucking huge resources away and contributing little in return.

I have repented myself Pro Se in Criminal Court, Federal Civil Court and Family Court (And yes, I had Lawyer friends silently guiding me through all that thankfully). The Lawyers opposing me in all those cases had one objective… Hide the Truth through any means necessary. Much of the fault lies with the judicial system itself but the Lies, distortions and tricks each lawyer would pull would just continue to amaze me on every motion.[:/]

I haven't been much of a poster either and probably won't become one. I do lurk and read from time to time though. I'll definitely admit I was hesitant about admitting my lawyerlyness, but then again I'm proud to have made it to this point so I don't care too much when the "lawyers are scum" bit comes up.

I'm glad to know you're out there. Skydivers seem to need a lot of free criminal defense advice and family law help as well. :P:P

don't think I'd ever get married without a prenup. It's a way of protecting the person I love from anything I might try to do to them financially should things not work out.

Ahhh, the choice of "to prenup or not to prenup." When there's a bitter divorce and a prenup, the first thing lawyers do is try to get the prenup thrown out.

If there is a huge estate and huge earning potential, prenups are worth the investment. It's worth the big money litigating the validity of it if it holds up. But for most people, I don't think prenups are worth it because of the problems they can cause. Divorces need not be nasty.

As for me, my main practice area is real estate litigation, family law, and general civil.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I loved that future interest stuff. It was like a little puzzle you could diagram. Life in being plus 21 years anyone??? Contingent remainder subject to condition precedent? Was that executory interest shifting or springing?

I still haven't figured out why you needed to name them like that. It didn't seem to make too much difference in the outcome of a case, just a test to see if you could figure out what to call it. :S I don't think I could even do it now, I think I've forgotten everything I learned in law school.
:S Oh well, that's what we have Deskbooks for right?

oh, and one more thing - as i study here i can just say...

the rule against perpetuities can suck my balls.

Before the bar I kept having nightmares that I'd open the test book and all it would say is "explain the rule against perpetuities."

I'll probably have the same nightmares.... the funny thing is i looked in my barbri books, my old case books, to find a suitable explanation that makes sense, but i couldn't. then i looked on wikipedia and now i understand it a lot better (but not completely). :S

back to outlining crim law!

the rule against perpetuities can suck my balls.

Just do what I did: when you come to a RAP question on the Multistate, have a little chuckle, mark B, and move on.

Worked for me.

:)
Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Since Im not yet a practicing attorney, I'll ask this -- with billables, how is it that any practicing attorneys are able to post on dz.com during the day???

Just take less than 6 minutes to post and don't go back to working on the same thing.

;)

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

haha I'll have to keep that in mind. Im just kind of writing off real property as something i have troubles in and need to compensate with something else...of course i love how all my study in IP is glossed over in 2 sentences involving equity with trade secret and patent stuff...

Tomorrow I have PMBR for the weekend so I'll see if my MBE score improved any from the practice one i did for barbri about a month ago.

:S

I'd recommend buying the Multistate review book by Finz. The questions are much closer to what is actually on the multistate. PMBR is an awesome review class, though, but I'd practice the Finz questions more. I used both books equally, and Finz was much more help (So I ended up using PMBR strategies on the Finz questions, which raised my score considerably).

I'm in my sixth year of practice. This means I am approaching the level of conscious incompetence. In another 5 years or so I may have a general idea about what the heck I'm doing.

Honestly - the practice of law is just a total eye opener. You won't know what is going on, and few will expect you to know. If you feel like you don't know what you are doing, then you are right where you should be in your development.

WARNING - DOC IN THE HOUSE

I'm a medical malpractice defense attorney.

:)
Brie

If I could go back to doing that exclusively for the rest of my life, I would be a very happy man. I have never had more fun than doing med mal defense.:)

WARNING - DOC IN THE HOUSE

I'm a medical malpractice defense attorney.>>>

Thanks!!:)
I have only needed your type once in 24 years of practice, but he was my best friend in keeping me sane for 3 years until the suit got dropped 1 week before trial:ph34r:
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Honestly - the practice of law is just a total eye opener. You won't know what is going on, and few will expect you to know. If you feel like you don't know what you are doing, then you are right where you should be in your development. >>>

Geez - sounds a lot like medicine. Even after 24 years there is not a day that goes by that the thought "I have no clue what is going on" goes through my mind!!

Just what you non medical people wanted to hear I'm sureB|B|

Ed
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"