MB38

Protective Helmets

I recently did some base-jumps with a mountainbike, and as I landed on the bike, I wanted to have the best available protection: I went with my Motocross-helmet, a 661 Flight. On the first test-jump I ditched the bike and tracked for 15-20 secs, so I opened at full speed. I also had side-mounted a camera and so I was a bit worried about risers and weight.
No problem with tracking, opening or anything else - I just turned the head slightly to avoid the riser slap the cam.
But I have to admit that this a bit hardcore and I wouldn't use it for jumping all the time. There are lighter mtb-dh-helmets like the 661 full bravo carbon for example and my skiing helmet even weighs a fracture of this and it does a good job - I did hit my head hard with it while skiing and it saved my head from getting a big hole.
I do not believe at all in skydiving-helmets when it comes to protection. Like mentioned above they are designed to protect you from cold wind, noise and maybe a knee hitting your nose - period.

Does anybody actually jump any of the charly (or similar) helmets? They look great

I use mine predominantly for BASE although I have skydived with it as well ( no problems with security...head up...down and flatflying)
Its comfortable and very well padded ( the right way)
Also offers excellent peripheral vison.
Because of the padding its quite big.

can someone explain to me why I can't get the Ozone helmet from cookie composites as a student?

I am newb and posted in another thread and was told I have to get the pro-tec.

I don't understand why they said the protec is the best protective helmet there is [for students]? The Ozone is a carbon shell, which is stronger than the plastic that the pro-tecs are made out of, so how can that be an issue? Is it heavier? Does the closed ear make it harder to hear people in the jump plane or the radio?

I'd prefer to get something that looks nice if there is no disadvantage in doing so for a student.

can someone explain to me why I can't get the Ozone helmet from cookie composites as a student?

I don't understand why they said the protec is the best protective helmet there is [for students]? The Ozone is a carbon shell, which is stronger than the plastic that the pro-tecs are made out of, so how can that be an issue? Is it heavier? Does the closed ear make it harder to hear people in the jump plane or the radio?

I'd prefer to get something that looks nice if there is no disadvantage in doing so for a student.

OK, a response from a grumpy old fart.

Please read what people wrote in the other thread.

They did not tell you you couldn't get the Ozone that you so badly want so you can look cool. They said the Protec will provide better protection. The Protec has actually been designed and tested to provide a certain level of protection. As a student, your landings will suck and bonking your head while doing a PLF is always a possibility. Skydiving helmets are made to be light weight, have a location for an audible, and maybe hold a camera. They are not made to protect your head from much more than bumping your head on the door as you exit the plane.

So if you want protection, get the Protec. If you want to look like the cool kids, buy the much more expensive and non protecting Ozone.

And for god sake, FORGET about sticking a camera on your head until you get the suggested jumps. If you have read the two stickies in the camera forum and you still think you are more skilled than the folks that have a bit more understanding than a zero jump newb, please do us all a favor and take up bowling instead. We don't like having to write up accident reports for the kid who didn't listen because he had mad skilz.

--sigh--

Man I am getting old and grumpy.[:/]
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

You clearly have no idea about how helmets protect you, or not.

As stated here and in the other thread, skydive helmets are made to look nice, hold your audibles, protect your face from a knee in relative work, hold cameras, protect your head from a glancing blow from say the airplane door or the risers. They are NOT rated for head protection, as stated before. They are NOT made to protect your head like a skate, snowboard, canoo helmet is, which is what a pro-tec IS.

Do a bit of research into just HOW (mechanically) a helmet protects you head. You may be surprised!

And do buy a pro-trec/benny type helmet (WITH ear protection) if you want actual PROTECTION. If you just want to look COOL and spend a lot, get one of the quite expensive skydive helmets. Which may not even be the right one for your further skydiving plans off student status, so be prepared to buy another one soonish.

I still have my pro-tect from my student days, still comes in handy now and then.

Oh yeah, for the nth time, camera flying is best left to 200+ (or IMO 300-500+) jump jumpers. So it is of NO consideration to a student.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Most of the time the radios used to help guide studetns to the DZ for landing will be mounted, either whole or in part, to the student helmets procided by the DZ. End result, you have to jump their helmet.

If you find a DZ that uses radios with no attachment to the helmet, and your instructors approve of the fit of your own helmet, and it's ability to let you hear the radio through the helmet, you may very well be able to jump your own helmet.

However, there's a chance they won't and a chance you're not going to like skydiving (or be any good at it) and then you just wasted $250.

I suggest not being such a pansy, and just jump the same helmets that most students end up jumping. Throughout the day of your first jump, you're going to be intentionall falling down and rolling around on the floor (PLF practice), laying down in various locations at the DZ (practicing your arch), crawling around on the floor of the plane, and then most likely falling down in the dirt when you land. If you think a 'clean' helmet is going to make for a 'clean' experience, you're sadly mistaken.

I don't understand why they said the protec is the best protective helmet there is [for students]?

This is the key…..you don’t understand. But you are not going to let that get in the way shopping for an answer that you like. You are still on student status and you already know more than those moron instructors.

I think they look like they are made for the kids on the short bus……….but if you like them go ahead and buy tomorrow. What could possibly go wrong? :S[:/]

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

What could possibly go wrong?

The very words I live by.

On a related note, I bought myself a protec-style helmet for my student jumps, and I still use it. It was second hand, very cheap and very comfortable. I would say go right ahead and buy a helmet which you like and are allowed to use.

What could possibly go wrong?

The very words I live by.

On a related note, I bought myself a protec-style helmet for my student jumps, and I still use it. It was second hand, very cheap and very comfortable. I would say go right ahead and buy a helmet which you like and are allowed to use.

And can die by. ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals