BillyVance

Did the flight attendant go too far?

This little kid wasn't being a problem, wasn't talking any louder than the adults, the bitch attendant could have given the mom and kid a little more leeway. But yeah, you'd think the mom could have coaxed the kid to be quiet for a bit, but I don't think the attendant even gave her a chance to because the mother was just in shock at the whole thing.

That's why the attendant is a skank whore bitch cuntface. Now, if it had been a male attendant - miserable fucking snot-nosed little dipshit. :P

I disagree. The mother was teaching her kid that an inappropriate behavior was perfectly acceptable by not controlling the behavior.

It was a case of poor parenting.

What if I was seated next to a kid on a plane teaching the kid to say choice phrases like, "Go fuck yourself", or other inappropriate phrases. Would that have been ok?

Walt

This little kid wasn't being a problem, wasn't talking any louder than the adults, the bitch attendant could have given the mom and kid a little more leeway. But yeah, you'd think the mom could have coaxed the kid to be quiet for a bit, but I don't think the attendant even gave her a chance to because the mother was just in shock at the whole thing.

That's why the attendant is a skank whore bitch cuntface. Now, if it had been a male attendant - miserable fucking snot-nosed little dipshit. :P

I disagree. The mother was teaching her kid that an inappropriate behavior was perfectly acceptable by not controlling the behavior.

What if I was seated next to a kid on a plane teaching the kid to say choice phrases like, "Go fuck yourself", or other inappropriate phrases. Would that have been ok?

Walt

Are you SO ignorant as to believe that that DOESN'T happen?! :D:D:D
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Of course not. What I was pointing out is that teaching a kid that an inappropriate behavior is ok is not a good thing, even if the "teacher" is the parent. *Especially* if the teacher is the parent.

Walt

So the lady sat in the seat with the kid screaming and doing what kids do to get out of being held, all probably because the kid knew we had stopped and wanted off the damn plane.

It's not poor parenting, it's not bad kids, it's just kids.
Yes it's annoying, whoop dee doo. Lots of things are annoying.

A kid who has learned that screaming gets them nothing more than a sore throat doesn't tend to scream (except possibly in pain, as you and normiss both correctly pointed out regarding pressurization). Yes, I think a parent who can't control their children is doing a poor job. Sure, there are exceptions for pain, and many will experience isolated incidents regardless, but if the child normally screams and kicks when not getting their way, it's almost assuredly the parents' fault.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

That's why the attendant is a skank whore bitch cuntface. Now, if it had been a male attendant - miserable fucking snot-nosed little dipshit.

So a male would be stupid and the female would be a slut.

Nice.

Lesson #1 in namecalling
-----------------------------
The names you call someone you don't like have nothing to do with literal definitions or social commentary or anything else. They are meant to be offensive and get under the person's skin.

A *bitch* is a woman you don't like. Same goes for whore, slut, cunt. skank, etc.

An *asshole* is a guy you don't like. Same for bastard, sonofabitch, cocksucker, fuckwad, dipshit, etc.

Pop quiz:
1. What do you call a black guy you don't like?
2. What do you call a Mexican guy that you don't like?
3. ...a Jew you don't like?

------------------------------

Billy's phrasing was not necessarily an indicator of a double standard on his part.

Walt

Of course not. What I was pointing out is that teaching a kid that an inappropriate behavior is ok is not a good thing, even if the "teacher" is the parent. *Especially* if the teacher is the parent.

Walt

The point you made above is a good one, however it doesn't match the scenario.

I just don't think anyone here is really getting the whole picture...if YOU were stuck in a freaking airport on an 11 hour layover -when you finally boarded the airplane, are you trying to tell me that nobody on that aircraft is going to say something inappropriate, i.e., 'Thank God we're out of that fucking airport. I'm tired as hell and want to get home'.

By your rationale, that person should be booted from the airplane until they can 'control themselves' as well.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I tend to be more conservative in my parenting views, probably because I'm not one myself. I'll admit that while I understand that children need space to be children and more flexibility and understanding than the rest of us, I get frustrated when parents act as though they are completely incapable of doing anything when their children get out of line.

THIS little boy may not even have been acting inappropriately, given his age and the circumstances. It still doesn't mean that his mother was completely powerless to change what was going on. Flying with children is challenging, no doubt. The problem is that it sounds like the mother didn't really make an effort at all. That doesn't mean the flight attendant was right, either, but for a relatively short flight, it surely seems as though there should have been ways for everyone to get along. Then the mother could have taken the problem up with the airline and accomplished the same thing without making the plane go back to the gate.
TPM Sister #102

This child is a year and a half. If you've never had a toddler or studied child development you won't understand. The child was not acting inapproprrate and she could have ignored his talking the whole time or threatened him, etc and he still would have kept on talking. He was not being "bad." Kids this age also throw tantrums because they don't know to express that they are tired or upset. It's actually part of the normal and healthy development of a child. You can't reason with kids this age. I'm not talking about a 5 year old throwing a tantrum because you won't buy him a new toy. That is completely different.

However, in this particular case there was nothing she could do. Her baby was talking. People seriously need to lighten up.

am I the only one that caught the "multiple witnesses" part of the article?

"He wasn't any louder than the adult passengers on the plane," said passenger Stacey Watts.

Watts sat just a few rows back from the Georgia mother and heard the entire conversation.

"Katie was in shock at that point," Watts explained. "You could tell. She was in row 3 and I was in row 6. She just kept saying, 'I don't know what you expect me to do. I don't know what you expect me to do.'"

Suddenly eyewitnesses say the flight attendant announced they were returning to the gate and Penland would be removed from the plane.

No, you're not the only one. I read it too but some are choosing to ignore that part of the story and assume the mother was just a bad parent because her baby was talking.:|:S

but if the child normally screams and kicks when not getting their way, it's almost assuredly the parents' fault.

Blues,
Dave

I don't think the lady was being a poor parent. Kids throw tantrums for who knows what reason. Kid could have been tired, hungry, who knows. Kicking and screaming can be a parenting problem, I just think the plane environment is different for kids.

It's not exactly easy to discipline your kid on a plane as well. You can't yell at them because your being a nuisance then. Most likely you can't hit or spank.

I'm betting most parents on a plane pray from boarding to exit that the kids just behave and when they don't most try to do what is best given the situation.
There are bad apples who do nothing and well an adult should point it out to them, or hell point it out to the child if he/she is old enough. Kids generally listen to strangers authority more than they do parents.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

This child is a year and a half. If you've never had a toddler or studied child development you won't understand. The child was not acting inapproprrate and she could have ignored his talking the whole time or threatened him, etc and he still would have kept on talking. He was not being "bad." Kids this age also throw tantrums because they don't know to express that they are tired or upset. It's actually part of the normal and healthy development of a child. You can't reason with kids this age. I'm not talking about a 5 year old throwing a tantrum because you won't buy him a new toy. That is completely different.

However, in this particular case there was nothing she could do. Her baby was talking. People seriously need to lighten up.

So if I'm in a restaurant and someone has their kid with them and the kid shits in his diapers, making the whole restaurant smell like a sewer, then it's ok because the kid was doing something normal for his development stage?

Walt

I keep thinking of that commercial with the pro football player on the plane, and a little boy keeps kicking the back of his seat. Then the pro football player has a vision of Terry Bradshaw telling him "You have to put kickers in their place!"

The next scene shows the luggage compartment with the muffled voice of the kid coming from it, & the football player is sleeping in his seat with a big smile on his face.
:D

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

at least we ALL know what "ho", "nappy headed ho", and the "n" word mean.
and so long as Al Sharpton is around to remind us, we're all set. SWBC and cracker appear to be safe bets for the time being.

YES, people need to control their children in public - a lot of them do a very poor job of that. YES, this woman is probably playing the role of innocent mother in the search for a lawsuit - we're covering that in another thread aren't we? We all also know how accurate the media is, more so in cases they can add fuel to.

So if I'm in a restaurant and someone has their kid with them and the kid shits in his diapers, making the whole restaurant smell like a sewer, then it's ok because the kid was doing something normal for his development stage?

The parent should change the diaper. You can't "shut a baby up." Unless of course you want to be abusive and just knock the kid out or duct tape his mouth shut.

The parent should change the diaper. You can't "shut a baby up." Unless of course you want to be abusive and just knock the kid out or duct tape his mouth shut.

The problem is not so much the kid, but the *parent* who clearly doesn't respect others' space. Prevention of the situation is the way to handle it. A parent with a kid who is not a fit for a public environment should not subject other people to the kid.

Walt

"Shut a baby up," no. Change the course of the behavior, yes. I would be a lot more receptive to listening to a little one laugh about a toy or a game than I would be to hearing the same phrase repeated over and over. Sometimes it's not about hearing the child at all; it's about what you're hearing.
TPM Sister #102

The problem is not so much the kid, but the *parent* who clearly doesn't respect others' space. Prevention of the situation is the way to handle it. A parent with a kid who is not a fit for a public environment should not subject other people to the kid.

I didn't realize that a talking baby was unfit for public environment where other adults are talking as well. I know that I have been frustrated by more adults in public places than I have children.

Do you let kids trick or treat at your house ?:ph34r:

Lets break in down in simpler terms..

The child was interupting an FAA mandated safty briefing.
The FA asked the Mother to control her child.
The Mother said she could not.
The FA then had them removed.

Sounds reasonable. If the cant control the child and says as much, Then they should not be on the plane.

I especially like your response cause you actually have a kid. It's nice to know that you as a parent agree that parents need to control their children.

Adding on - it was said in the article the child kept repeating 'bye bye plane'. If thats the case, the mother should've known not everyone wants to hear some kid say 'bye bye plane' over and over. She should've known to tell him to be quiet. Just cause she thought it was cute and harmless doesn't mean jack shit. After an eleven hour delay i sure the fuck wouldn't wanna listen to some kid saying 'bye bye plane'. i totally applaud the flight attendant for saving the other passengers the annoyance of listening to the kid the rest of the flight.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!