greybeard

Death is overated. Who has been there and back?

I bled out in '78. Auto accident. Police photos show the baggie zippered up. Last tech at the morg, decerned a pulse two hours after shippment. Upstairs to the table, and here I am, 29 years later, breathing and copulating like a regular guy.

Sorry, no bright lite! Just gone, then back.

Any other stories?

I got out of the Navy Thanksgiving of 1972....got home and went and got drunk with my hometown buddies.
Long story short , I was riding in the back of a Ford Ranchero and fell out on the hiway. I hit my head, which isnt that bad of a deal cuz I have a pretty hard one. The bad part was that my foot got caught in the left rear wheelwell. My buddies, also drunk, didnt realize I had fallen out , for three miles.

I woke up in the back of a police car with the siren wailing. I was looking at an ear. The ear belonged to the policeman giving me CPR. All I really remember is this incredible rush of pain after having been so calm.
I spent three months in a burn unit from the road rash and the associated head injury.
The CPR cop visited me several times during that period and he related to me that he had lost me several times.
The reason I was in the police car was that there were no ambulances available in the rural area where this happened.
So I was dead for a bit but dont remember much.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I don't think I was dead and my story certainly doesn't compare to your stories, but I did have a clear out of body experience. When I fell down the stairs and struck my head, I was suddenly above myself looking at my own dead body. No white light or anything. I assume it was a hallucination from the trauma, but damn it was so real. And it is extremely freaky to see your own dead body.

Sorry, no bright lite!

Thats dissapointing. But did there happen to be a bright light?

Or maybe a Lite Brite?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

never actually been clinically declared dead, but ive been closer to it more that a few times,

the first was in 2003 when i was standing outside our barracks in baghdad when a 50cal round came whizzing out of the sky and slashed my arm.

the second was in april of 2004 when while patrolling the sunni triangle near yusifiyah 3 155mm rounds fashioned into an IED exploded on our howitzer, caught a peice of schrapnel in the leg

the 3rd was also in april of 2004 when i was given the option to hangback with the howitzers on the road while the platoon elements combed the fields to the left and right of the road during a route clearance, just so happened that day that the element that i would have been patrolling with got hit with a VBIED and the dude subbing for me got waxed.

the 4th time happened in april of 2006 when i nearly drowned in iraqi sewage cess pool after my jack ass driver missed the turn and tried to turn around in waht looked like mud but was in fact a canal that contained everything bad in the world

OH and a little before that i tripped over a small 60mm mortar rigged to blow.

and then i dont remember when it was exactly i think june of 2004 i had an RPG whizz by my truck door that i was about to step out of.

ive been shot at more times than i can count.

damn close but no cigar. and people woder why i want to be a nurse:D

Fly it like you stole it

Death is overated, I think most people will be disappointed when they get there....;)

What are you saying? A person has to be in a concious state of mind to be disappointed.
How high are we going? Oh about 9000. Oh Mr. Pilot! How high are we going? Oh about 12000! That's the ticket!

Death is overated, I think most people will be disappointed when they get there....;)

Hey, death is the best.

They save it for last. :D
Not if you are Hindi
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

June 1986. I was in a off-road (enduro) motorcycle race. I lost control and left the trail (high speed 60ish)connecting with the ground and then a tree at that same high speed. The next person along stopped to see if I was OK. I did not respond. The person happened to be a EMT and after checking me out and finding no heartbeat or sign of respiration, began to administer CPR. After clearing my throat of my swollen tongue and doing the compression thing, he got a heart beat. No bright lights. No flames and pitch forks. Just dead a little. No bigs.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Been down that road but stopped a block from the end of that street.

Whole body blunt force trauma (full body posterior hematoma)

You don't have to be a skydiver to bounce.

Suprising how easily someone can die, also more suprising is how much damage others can endure and live on.

No life passing before your eyes.:|

yeah except he walks with a limp from all the medals on one side.

Strange when a full grown man has to come to terms with wearing so many fucking ribbons.

I see friends in dress uniform rarely, but a few look fucking embarrassed at all the ribbons and hash marks.(the guys who have been nowhere and done nothing);):P

I think they long for the days of being a nobody.

17 years old, pumped full of morphine sitting in a hospital bed covered in blood muttering to myself and throwing up occasionally. I dont remember after that.

My family were warned by the Dr's for the worst.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Everytime I go under the knife, they lose me. My blood pressure bottoms out and my heart stops. The last time, I was just having a simple pin removed from my foot, it was only supposed to take around 45 minutes..... it ended up taking 2.5 hrs, they lost me 3 times...... I didn't feel a thing.
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

Everytime I go under the knife, they lose me. My blood pressure bottoms out and my heart stops. The last time, I was just having a simple pin removed from my foot, it was only supposed to take around 45 minutes..... it ended up taking 2.5 hrs, they lost me 3 times...... I didn't feel a thing.

Same thing happens to me but I don't think they lose us really... I could hear everyone freaking out the one time. To avoid that issue they gave me an epidural, and my BP still dropped. They kept talking about me, and finally starting talking to me and my pressure started to rise again. I think we are there but just very slowed down. Otherwise, we'd notice it. Now one time when I was about twelve I was in a clinic and was administered an adult amount of stadol twice in a row by mistake. Now that felt like I was floating away from myself and watching the whole scene.... but I was probably just really stoned. LOL. I was watching them yell at each other and it was funny but I couldn't respond. I remember thinking to myself, "12 is a really shitty age to die."

What is 'dead'?

If its what I'm lead to believe from this thread then I've been there countless times, in controlled situations, and have no recollection of them or even worry about it anymore (they continue to happen and will for the rest of my life).

If its your time, its your time, IMO.

Jen
Arianna Frances