samt

Free Packing video and guide ?

Hi

I m an AFF student and need some help with packing. I took a packing class but it went so fast that I need some help.

I ve looked around and there are a few different videos on sale, was wondering if there is one thats free close to free in price and if there is a handbook or guide that i can use to learn.

Thanks
/sam

I took a packing class but it went so fast that I need some help.

>:( I really hate hearing this. Please go find someone on your DZ, bring some beer after the beer light's on and ask for additional help. IT really is performance-oriented training best learned by observation and then by the numbers assistance.

In the meantime... http://www.cafepress.com/sidspecialties.5768447
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hi,
I don’t know about any free videos, but here is a link for 2 owner’s manuals that helped me with packing. What I find particularly interesting about these manuals is the way you separate line groups and the fabric between them. Instead of placing both risers on one shoulder, separate left and right groups keeping the slider behind your neck. This will allow you to identify and separate clearly A, B, C and D line groups (one of the most difficult tasks when you’re learning). When you do that you’ll notice that the center cell is in front of you and that is very easy to keep everything symmetric. In quick steps:
1. Separate the nose inlets (3 or 4 to each side, depending if you have a 7 or 9 cell canopy);
2. Pull the stabilizers out;
3. Using your forearm pull the steering lines out of your way;
4. Grasp all D lines close to the attaching points and start aligning the fabric panels between D and C groups (use the seams between the line attaching points as a guide);
5. Pull the fabric out keeping the lines at the center;
6. Repeat for the other line groups (both sides) until you have the canopy properly flaked like shown on picture 8 of the Techno manual (picture 10 of the other one);
7. Flake the fabric between the steering lines to the outside and keep the steering lines in the center;
8. Bring the slider in front of you and quarter it. At this time you may find useful to move both risers to one shoulder;
9. Treat the nose as desired (roll it, tuck it in or leave it hanging exposed depending on your canopy characteristics);
10. Place your hands down close to the steering line attaching points and gently pull the tail until you can grab the warning label (this will avoid disturbing the previously organized folds while pulling the tail to wrap around the canopy);
11. First roll a small portion of the trailing edge at the area close to the warning label then while holding this first fold with your finger, start rolling the rest of the tail to the same direction. This little trick will maintain the roll tight close to the lines which will help keep the slider in position (you sure want that).
12. Gently lay the canopy on the floor while keeping the lines taut;
13. For dressing the canopy and putting it into the bag you may try the reverse fold technique or even psycho-pack;

Parachute manuals:
http://www.parachutes-de-france.com/sources/doc_tech/51_fr_Manuel_Voiles_Princ_Ed4.pdf
http://www.parachutes-de-france.com/sources/doc_tech/52_fr_Manuel_Techno_Ed5.pdf

The most important thing is not only to learn how to pack but also understand why a canopy is packed this way. The canopy pressurizes from center to tips, while it happens, the air pushes everything (lines and fabric to the outside). Fabric has much more drag than lines so it will run faster to the outside. That’s why you should keep the lines at the center otherwise the fabric will run over them causing burns. This is valid for every area of the canopy (line groups, tail and stabilizers)

I’m not pretending to give you packing lessons here just to show you what helped me while I was learning. You may practice at home but always have someone experienced watching you pack before you attempt to jump your pack job.
I still pack this way with great results. Hope it helps

Safe skies!

Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I ve looked around and there are a few different videos on sale, was wondering if there is one thats free close to free in price and if there is a handbook or guide that i can use to learn.

Thanks
/sam

You can call Performance Designs, they will sent a free packing DVD. I had it couple weeks ago. It's amazing clearly and understandable!
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

Hi

I. I took a packing class but it went so fast that I need some help.

get additional help from people on the dropzone. i find it sad that the packing class didnt leave you feeling confident with knowing how to pack. when i took mine, my 'teacher' made sure i was fully compitant in packing for myself.. not the best packjob, but had the right idea, and could get it in the bag and such. then i had others see me packing, and give some pointers when they saw me struggling into the bag. bring beer, and get help. hands on will be much more usefull than a video can provide.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

You can call Performance Designs, they will sent a free packing DVD. I had it couple weeks ago. It's amazing clearly and understandable!

Is it that one where Scott Miller packs a darkgreen/pink/white sabre?
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

Wow, my packing class was *SLOW*, because I had to pack in it, at least twice.

As others said get help around the DZ. You can always just watch too, people are packing all the time and if you know what you're looking at (you should by now) that can help.

I'm really glad that people are finding the PD packing video helpful. As a few people have already stated, though, packing is something that you need to learn through supervised, hands-on instruction. The video PD offers was never meant to be a substitute for direct instruction. Written instructions or advice can also be helpful, but can't really replace supervised lessons, either.

Sam, you mentioned that you're still an AFF student. If one of your instructors gave your packing class, just let him or her know that you need more help.

if you paid someone for the packing class then you should have left that class knowing how to pack. Don't hesitate to go back to the person who taught the class and politely let him or her know that you need more instruction.

If it was just an informal, free packing lesson from one of the jumpers on the DZ then speaking with your instructor is still a good idea. He or she should be willing to give you more help, or at least direct you to someone else who can.

You might certainly find the PD video helpful. Someone at your DZ might even have a copy already. But you still need to have someone supervise and assist you while you're learning to pack.

- Scott