swedishcelt

Finally forced to take GRE... anyone take it recently?

I think it costed 30 dollars or so.

How'd you do on the verbal part?:|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I had to take it not that long ago... less than a year.

They should mail you some prep software when you register for the test. I bought a workbook to prepare with, I think it was called the complete idiots guide to the GRE or something like that.

It was a really helpful book, especially because it was written with a good sense of humor.

My advice is to review all the math stuff because it is really easy to boost your score there. For the vocab, start learning morphemes.

A bank of essay questions is posted on the official GRE website. Definitely browse through those. I actually liked the essay part. For the opinion essay you will get to choose between two prompts (my optins were both "profound" quotes) and then you get to say why you agree or disagree. For the argument analysis they will give you an article type thing and you have to analyze where leaps of logic were made in the article. I thought the argument analysis part was reaaally easy.

Link to the essay questions:

http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menuitem.1488512ecfd5b8849a77b13bc3921509/?vgnextoid=6a9ca76d0edd5010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD&vgnextchannel=06c7e3b5f64f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

It is helpful to learn about how the computer testing differs from paper testing. It is adaptive, so the early questions make a larger impact on your final score than the later questions. Weird stuff.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I think I did pretty well, I dont remember my exact number. it was well above 50%. Bottom line: do well enough to get where you want to go and its all good. :)

I think this is what nwflyer was referring to:

I think it costed 30 dollars or so.

:P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm not worried about the verbal and I have a handle on morphemes. I am most concerned with the Quantitative/ Mathematics section. Which workbook did you get that had the sense of humor? Was it Princeton Review by any chance? I've never seen an ETS prep material that was funny before... just curious, I would be more apt to buy one that was easy to get through.