martimarr

FrEe FlY RiGs

I'm looking to get a rig that I can try to free fly with , It will have to be used as I'm very broke, so what are the key fetures that I'm looking for?

Also I have a Dolphin now and was told never to sit fly it ( Head Down is all ready out for this one )

But realy ? Don't sit fly it?

YeS dOn'T....and yes, maybe either in caps or NO CAPS.

In a sit fly, your are exposing the bottom of the container to the higher speeds and the dolphin has very little bridle protection. Ever seen a humorous after a pilot chute deployed under your arm? It ain't pretty.
my pics & stuff!

Key features: velcroless, stiff tuck tabs on riser covers, reserve, and main flaps, BOC or pud, total bridle protection.

Every used rig is on a case by case basis and is best to have a rigger examine it before deciding if its 'freefly safe.'

Do not sitfly in the Dolphin. In many many circumstances, flaps have come open, bridles are exposed... and nasty situations can arise quickly.

Catching air underneath 'flaps' or a bridle at high speeds is what you want to avoid. So doing a front or back loop at 120 mph may not present a great of risk as the same maneuver or head down position at 180 mph... but there's still a slight risk involved. Basically you want your container exposed to the least amount of air possible in freefall.

I bought a '98 Dolphin recently and had it sent to Altico for modification. They made every possibly freefly update to it and completely re-modified the front to the style of the newest Dolphin containers (freefly friendly tuck tabs). It costed me about $200-$250 (but that included having the container re-sized for me as well) and is like having a new custom made rig! Contact Mike Fury at Altico, maybe you can do something similar with your container...

YeS dOn'T....and yes, maybe either in caps or NO CAPS.

In a sit fly, your are exposing the bottom of the container to the higher speeds and the dolphin has very little bridle protection. Ever seen a humorous after a pilot chute deployed under your arm? It ain't pretty.

Umm, doesn't do much for bridle protection, but you do know that its "legal" to pack a Dolphin with both the top and bottom reserve flaps over the pilot chute/cap, like a Javelin, rather then just the top flap over the pilot chute/cap... makes it more freefly friendly.

Umm, doesn't do much for bridle protection, but you do know that its "legal" to pack a Dolphin with both the top and bottom reserve flaps over the pilot chute/cap, like a Javelin, rather then just the top flap over the pilot chute/cap... makes it more freefly friendly.

No it doesn't. The freefly unfriendliness of the dolphin has nothing to do with the way the reserve flaps are closed. It has to do with the riser/bridle protection and the tightness of the BOC. And I'm not disagreeing with the earlier post saying it's possible to make one ff friendly.

No one is having premature reserve deployments as a result of the flap configuration. I have personally seen and filmed a dolphin premature main deployment from a sit fly.

*sigh*

I SAID... doesn't do much for bridle protection... but that packing a Dolphin with both the top and bottom flap over the pilot chute/cap is legal and IMO would make it more FF Friendly, didn't say it solved all the problems, as your all enclusive and conclusive observations indicate... or so you sound.