Perriscicaba

Velocity Hard Opennings !!!

Hi everyone !

I need help !

I buy my velocity at few weeks ago, is one "old" velocity (DOM 09/2001) but with only 6 jumps, really 6 jumps, the canopy was very slippery to pack. I read the PD manual about this canopy and the all caracteristics, like, pack same the Stiletto, Slider in cross, roll the tail, make the wrap in the lines tight and between 2"-3" and ..., but, I can't imput my canopy in the bag in the first time I pack and ask for help to my friend and rigger, he did and I have one good openning, but, now start my problems, I did same job him and I have more 2 hard opennings, in my last jump (jump #4 with the canopy and # 10 total in the canopy, I have one REALLY bad openning, like my pilot chut was my canopy. Result, my steering line in the right side split in half, or, broke.

My rig is a Javelin J1, my reserv PDR 143 with Cypres, my WL is 2.2 and deployed position stable after follow one tandem jump.

What can I did wrong ?

Cheers.

Mauricio

The Velo I've jumped and every other Velo I've seen opens really pretty well. A lot of them out there the jumpers are taking steps to speed the openings up a bit (after about 900ft of snivel, things get a little long to open).

Have you considered talking to PD about having your canopy checked out? Assuming that your can do your standard propack well and that you're even in the harness, etc, your problem may lie in the canopy its self. They can put a few jumps on it and tell if you have a problem or not.

Edit:

Is the "hardness" of your opening in the snatch force, the beginning of the snivel or the end of the snivel?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

* disclaimer*
I only have about 15 pack jobs on a velo and 20-30 on stilletos. the following are the tips I recieved the first time I pro-packed a velo and come from a seasoned Velo pilot on the PST. Ive had good openings.
Hope this helps a little:
normal pro-pack except for the following.
make sure the slider is well quartered and enough sticking out of the nose you can grab it before you wrap the tail.

take the outer 3 cells on each side and tuck them in, back toward the tail. I grab about 3" of the material, and just a little fold inward and back . NO rolling or stuffing.
Pull the slider out just a touch and "wrap" around the nose material directly behind the slider material.
and by "wrap" I do not mean rolling and or intense action. Through the exposed slider material I merely grab the 'A' line group and thats it.

Wrap the tail tightly and rest as usual.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I buy my velocity at few weeks ago, is one "old" velocity (DOM 09/2001) but with only 6 jumps, really 6 jumps, the canopy was very slippery to pack

velo's use vectran line, when vectran is new it is very very slick. the lines dont have much friction on them to slow the slider down.

put about 75 jumps on it and the openings should get better.

Here's a few more thoughts -

- If the canopy is slippery, and tough to get in the bag, the slider gromments may be working their way off the stops while you are bagging the canopy. Check them once the canopy is in the bag, and re-seat them if needed.

- PD has two sizes of slider for the Velo. Measure yours, and call PD to see if it's the big one. If it's not, get the big one.

Make sure the slider is all the way against the lines just before you roll the tail. Try rolling the tail tight and a lot. It's all about the slider. Find me in Perris and I'll help you. Forget flaking.

peace
Karen Lewis
http://www.exitshot.com

Try rolling the tail tight and a lot.

I would highly recommend AGAINST that. It's a good way to cocoon the canopy and cause it to spin up in the shape before it grabs enough air to inflate. I've seen it more than once. A light roll is only needed to keep control of the packjob, nothing more. Like you said, the slider is the most important part. Keep it up against the canopy as far as possible.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

I disagree. What about a tight roll of the tail is going to cause an asymetrical condition?

Line twists (recoverable or not) are generaly produced either through an interaction between the back and continer (or riser hang up of sorts) or through an asymetrical inflation of the canopy AFTER bottom skin inflation. The first can be mitigated by clean packing of bag into container and good body position in the pull sequence, and the later through harness shifting and proper nose treatment. IMO the tail treatment has very little to do with heading control on deployment.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

IMO the tail treatment has very little to do with heading control on deployment.

I've seen people roll it so tight that the canopy stays 'cocooned' for up to 2 seconds before unravelling. During this time it's quite susceptible to spinning up prior to beginning to inflate. I've also seen, first hand, it be responsible for being the start of spinning malfunctions for this reason.

YMMV but this behavior is more pronounced on hop n pops. Rolling the tail tightly serves no purpose whatsoever. The packer should ensure the slider is seated correctly.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

While it is cocooned there is really nothing to cause it to spin. Even signifigant harness input won't have an effect till the tail comes open and the bottom skin begins to inflate.....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Psycho-Pack (a.k.a Precision pack)

Same pack job for Xaos or any other canopy for that matter

I would never want someone to psycho pack my velo after seeing what psycho packing is doing for our tandem canopies. Personally, I pack it exactly like my stiletto. Leave the nose open and pull the slider towards the nose a little making sure the slider is open as much as possible. Then I roll the tail 2-3 times. Of course, nothing is perfect! Its a Velocity. They do what they want on opening most of the time. But damn is it worth it on landing!!!

I would never want someone to psycho pack my velo after seeing what psycho packing is doing for our tandem canopies.

Did it rip the topskin at the attachment point or something else?
[/offtopic]
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

i've had a canopy stay in the "cacoon" shape for 2000' doing absolutely shit. even with me yanking on the risers like a mad man it wouldn't come out of it's shape. it also never spun up. it was a canopy with probably 2000+ jumps, with an RDS, and the tail rolled very tight. it didn't look like the RDS was restricting the opening at all either, so i don't know what caused that one. but it was a fun reserve ride.:S
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

FYI,

I psycho pack my Velocity and get excellent openings.

I think the key to it is getting the slider stuffed down in the pack job tight and on the slider stops, equally quartered, flush with the nose. Then, whatever packjob you can do better that keeps from letting the slider get off the stops, do that.

If psycho-packing, I defintely recommend flaking the tail folds back to center to keep the brake lines and d lines back in the center of the pack job...

peace, Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

I disagree. What about a tight roll of the tail is going to cause an asymetrical condition?

Line twists (recoverable or not) are generaly produced either through an interaction between the back and continer (or riser hang up of sorts) or through an asymetrical inflation of the canopy AFTER bottom skin inflation. The first can be mitigated by clean packing of bag into container and good body position in the pull sequence, and the later through harness shifting and proper nose treatment. IMO the tail treatment has very little to do with heading control on deployment.

I dont think rolling the tail does anything but ceate the possibility of a malfunction.

it is the "pre snivel-snivel" I hate the thought of my pack job being shaken around for 300 ft while the tail unfolds.

u no if u just jump precision u wont have n e problems

Are you sure about that?

It seems you may have been knocked silly a few times yourself. You forgot how to spell and complete full sentences. :o:P:)

I hate to burst your bubble, but ANY canopy has the potential to spank you.

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.