ACMESkydiver

My Son Was Eating a Slug...

My sister spent the weekend with our kiddos so we could catch a business planning seminar in Portland. I got a phone call from her on Saturday night...

"I made hamburgers and fries for the kids, but Joey didn't seem very interested. Then I saw why...I guess he had been eating a slug."

"WHA...?!?" :|

"He's ok, his face is getting kind of rashy and I'll put some ointment on it."

Slug slime causes kind of a red, bumpy rash. How do we know this? Because little Joey loves to pick up slugs and play with their slime and then squish the poor helpless creatures in his hands. :S:( Now of course we make him drop them when we see him pick them up, but soemtimes the boys will be playing behind the trampoline or near the front of the deck where I can't see them from the kitchen window...and of course we're all going to be more watchful now, but he's quick when he sees something he wants.

His face still looks yuck today...red and bumpy around his mouth. I'm wondering if anyone has had a dog or little kid eat a slug and I know it shouldn't be, but is there any way that it could be toxic? It's so difficult taking Joey in to the doc that we try to minimize it, but if this slug slime is dangerous I'll need to take him.

Anyone have experience with...uh, slugs? :|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Dose him with Benadryl... When he gets sleepy, put him to bed and enjoy the break. :P

Benadryl hypes my kids up. Caffeine will calm him down.

I'm not sure if the reason behind that is the age (many times meds have the opposite effect on kids as they have on adults) or the Autism, but I know that many ADD/ADHD and Autistics calm down with caffeine.

I'll probably give him some Benadryl and an energy drink when he gets home off the bus. :P
~Jaye

My son (7) has severe allergies and allergy induced asthma. At the first sign of him touching/ingesting something that his body doesn't like (such as grass, weeds, trees, dogs, cats, mammals, nuts, peanuts, or just about anything else containing atoms (or so it would seem)...) we dose him and watch for further changes. It def calms him down and makes him sleepy... Obviously, YMMV. :)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I've eaten slugs in SERE school and can tell you the slime itself is on dangerous. Now whether or now your child has an allergy to slugs is a different story.

And for those of you now wanting to try raw slugs now...remember to roll them between your fingers before you eat them. Interesting little surprise :)

SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

I've eaten slugs in SERE school and can tell you the slime itself is on dangerous. Now whether or now your child has an allergy to slugs is a different story.

And for those of you now wanting to try raw slugs now...remember to roll them between your fingers before you eat them. Interesting little surprise :)

Ewwww!! :D My hubby went to SERE school too, but I don't think he ever had to eat slugs. Rotten rice, bugs, and other nasty stuff that made them puke, but I don't remember him ever mentioning that slugs were on the menu. B| I guess he was lucky. :D
~Jaye

We would get tons of slugs around the pool at night. Just stepping on them barefoot was gross enough.[:/] I did have fun dosing them with chlorine or salt. I was such a cruel kid.

Anyway, my advice: Get him to Madame Pomfroy immediately.:P

I did have fun dosing them with chlorine or salt. I was such a cruel kid.

Chlorine!!! :D:D:D I don't have any of that stuff. How about bleach? :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Slug? That kind of bug I wouldn't eat. Only I will eat worms and etc for survival. Well, which I mean I actually ate worms before. The facts is all bugs have 70-80% protein than meats. Mostly people eat worms alive. Often to cook spiders, crickets, and etc.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

Dude, chlorine is more violent to a slug than salt. It was awesome.

So what did it do? A descriptive analysis, if you please... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Dude, chlorine is more violent to a slug than salt. It was awesome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what did it do? A descriptive analysis, if you please...

All you need is just a pinch of powdered chlorine. Drop it on the slug and in seconds...I mean literally seconds, the whole damn thing bubbles up, flops around, thriving in pain until there's barely anything left.B|

Eventually we got the pellets to put down around the pool area and that was the end of the slug torture.[:/]

yeah, but you could buy a whole bunch of those and then put them around the yard. Then when he eats one it's no biggie.

ok, yeah, it's the worst idea ever.
that website has some cool stuff on it.

:D:D:D:D:D
~Jaye