BillyVance

Glavine has done it

So I have been wondering this as I have been watching more baseball in my Japanese hotel room for the past few days than I ever have in my life.

What qualifies as a win for a pitcher, and how many wins will someone typically average in a season?

-S

If you are the pitcher of record at the time your team scores the winning run, you get the win.

Losses and saves are more complicated.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If you are the pitcher of record at the time your team scores the winning run, you get the win.

Losses and saves are more complicated.

Yeah... well you get the loss if you are credited with the winning run by the opposing team, even if you weren't on the mound at that moment it was scored. If you allowed that runner on base, then the manager pulls you out and the next pitcher lets him score, you lose.

If all that happens, THEN your team scores a run to get back to even or ahead, then loses later, then you get a no-decision.

I've never been as sure about saves. I think if you pitch the 9th inning or whatever last inning it is and face the batter that could knock in the winning run and get him out to finish the game, you get the save. If your team is way ahead and you get the side out without facing the potential game winning play, then there's no "save".
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Very nice to see Tom Glavine reach this milestone. He is only the 23rd pitcher to get to 300 wins.

Especially when he is a pitcher that has won with his head...changing speeds, hitting spots, putting the ball in play....and not because he has incredible physical ability like Roger Clemens and the ability to blow the ball past people when need be.

My hat's off to him.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Very nice to see Tom Glavine reach this milestone. He is only the 23rd pitcher to get to 300 wins.

Especially when he is a pitcher that has won with his head...changing speeds, hitting spots, putting the ball in play....and not because he has incredible physical ability like Roger Clemens and the ability to blow the ball past people when need be.

My hat's off to him.

Yep... Greg Maddux is another example, and he has about 340+ wins

John Smoltz might be approaching 300 as well if he had not spent 2 or 3 years as a closer, and he was one of the very best closers during those years. He also missed most of a year with Tommy John surgery.

I don't know what to say about Roger Clemens though, he's a unique case. We'll never see another one like him again. Not one that has played as long as he has.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I believe the rule for saves is the go ahead run must be due on deck. If you pitch the ninth and you are ahead by three, you get the save because the fourth batter is due on deck; If you come in with one out you only get the save if the lead is two or less unless there is a runner on because then the go ahead guy is due on deck.

He and A-Rod made me forget about Bonds...and that's a good thing.

Until Bonds hits his 756th... the media will forget everything else for a while. :P:S

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until Bonds hits his 756th... the media will forget everything else for a while.

True, but I think it will be anti-climactic with all the accusations surrounding him. Some people will love it while others won't. It won't be the same as when Aaron did it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until Bonds hits his 756th... the media will forget everything else for a while.

True, but I think it will be anti-climactic with all the accusations surrounding him. Some people will love it while others won't. It won't be the same as when Aaron did it.

No... Bonds might meet a couple of fans running the bases alongside with a fist in the mouth! :o:D

You got a point there.:D

What some people may not know is that Aaron actually received hate mail and death threats when he was closing in on Ruth's record and it was due to the fact that he was black.:S

You got a point there.:D

What some people may not know is that Aaron actually received hate mail and death threats when he was closing in on Ruth's record and it was due to the fact that he was black.:S

Times were different. [:/]

Baseball is for the second TV unless Bonds is up.:D

To further compilicate things, here are the official rules:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/official_scorer_10.jsp

10.17 Winning And Losing Pitcher
(a) The official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher that pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, unless
(1) such pitcher is a starting pitcher and Rule 10.17(b) applies; or
(2) Rule 10.17(c) applies.
Rule 10.17(a) Comment: Whenever the score is tied, the game becomes a new contest insofar as the winning pitcher is concerned. Once the opposing team assumes the lead, all pitchers who have pitched up to that point and have been replaced are excluded from being credited with the victory. If the pitcher against whose pitching the opposing team gained the lead continues to pitch until his team regains the lead, which it holds to the finish of the game, that pitcher shall be the winning pitcher.
(b) If the pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, is a starting pitcher who has not completed
(1) five innings of a game that lasts six or more innings on defense, or
(2) four innings of a game that lasts five innings on defense, then the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher the relief pitcher, if there is only one relief pitcher, or the relief pitcher who, in the official scorer’s judgment was the most effective, if there is more than one relief pitcher.
Rule 10.17(b) Comment: It is the intent of Rule 10.17(b) that a relief pitcher pitch at least one complete inning or pitch when a crucial out is made, within the context of the game (including the score), in order to be credited as the winning pitcher. If the first relief pitcher pitches effectively, the official scorer should not presumptively credit that pitcher with the win, because the rule requires that the win be credited to the pitcher who was the most effective, and a subsequent relief pitcher may have been most effective. The official scorer, in determining which relief pitcher was the most effective, should consider the number of runs, earned runs and base runners given up by each relief pitcher and the context of the game at the time of each relief pitcher’s appearance. If two or more relief pitchers were similarly effective, the official scorer should give the presumption to the earlier pitcher as the winning pitcher.
(c) The official scorer shall not credit as the winning pitcher a relief pitcher who is ineffective in a brief appearance, when at least one succeeding relief pitcher pitches effectively in helping his team maintain its lead. In such a case, the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher the succeeding relief pitcher who was most effective, in the judgment of the official scorer.
Rule 10.17(c) Comment: The official scorer generally should, but is not required to, consider the appearance of a relief pitcher to be ineffective and brief if such relief pitcher pitches less than one inning and allows two or more earned runs to score (even if such runs are charged to a previous pitcher). Rule 10.17(b) Comment provides guidance on choosing the winning pitcher from among several succeeding relief pitchers.
(d) A losing pitcher is a pitcher who is responsible for the run that gives the winning team a lead that the winning team does not relinquish.
Rule 10.17(d) Comment: Whenever the score is tied, the game becomes a new contest insofar as the losing pitcher is concerned.
(e) A league may designate a non-championship game (for example, the Major League All-Star Game) for which Rules 10.17(a)(1) and 10.17(b) do not apply. In such games, the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher that pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, unless such pitcher is knocked out after the winning team has attained a commanding lead and the official scorer concludes that a subsequent pitcher is entitled to credit as the winning pitcher.

10.19 Saves For Relief Pitchers
A save is a statistic credited to a relief pitcher, as set forth in this Rule 10.19.
The official scorer shall credit a pitcher with a save when such pitcher meets all four of the following conditions:
(a) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
(b) He is not the winning pitcher;
(c) He is credited with at least a third of an inning pitched; and
(d) He satisfies one of the following conditions:
(1) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning;
(2) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batters he faces); or
(3) He pitches for at least three innings.

who's glavine!?

Tom Glavine. Pitcher for the New York Mets. Spent most of his career and earned most of his wins with the Atlanta Braves...

Quite possibly the last 300 game winner we'll ever see.

Tom Glavine is the man...I'm sorry he ever left the Braves. [:/]

Ditto and Greg Maddux too... those two with Smoltzie was quite possibly the greatest pitching rotation in MLB history.