SarahC07

Navel Piercings

I have one. :)
Wow... You just got that tattoo and now you're getting pierced. Hmmm... Mid-life crisis? ;)

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Hahaha... Oh -it's even worse... my tattoo artist spent a good 20 minutes with me drafting up my next tattoo... which he estimated would cost about 350-400 bucks AND multiple sessions (YES!)... but the guy is an awesome artist and I love what he designed... I'm gonna tweak it a bit and start saving.... but I'm already excited!!!:)
Mid-life? Ha - I think I'm just crazy... as do my friends. :S The only other piercings I have are in my ears (one in each).

Was it the nickle that you were allergic to? They told me they have 2 different metals... one has a tiny trace of nickle and the other none at all.

I was allergic to niobium, which they no longer use. Since it's healed the second time, I've had stainless steel to titanium to cheap ass .99 barbells stuck in me, and haven't had any issues. I forget I have it most of the time. I have two piercings other than my ears and two tattoos. The third tat will be put in place shortly. :)
Sit back, relax and it shouldn't hurt too bad. Be patient while it's in it's healing stage though. It can take quite a while to heal. Follow instructions and if for some reason it keeps hurting after 10 months, take it out and try again in a couple of years. :|

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

For me, the healing hurt a lot more than the actual piercing. But, needles don't bother me after years of allergy shots when I was young. There have been a few threads about this that have hints in them. I sprayed Bactene down in the hole. It brought tears to my eyes, but it helped. It took a good 6 months for it to feel ok though.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have one. It took a while to heal but that's the only complaint I have. I was super nervous to get it done. I've got many tattoos but that was my first piercing and I was almost panicking. I have a huge feel of needles. The piercer took awesome care of me though. She could see my nerves and was like "you, stand here" and i walked over we discussed placement and she pulled a clamp out of know where and clamped me. She got me to turn my head when she grabbed the needle. I didn't even feel it! When she took the clamp off I truly thought she hadn't done it.

The funniest part is I still nearly passed out. I suppose all the anxiety needed somewhere to go. I had to lay down while a friend of mine pierced her eyebrow.
I'm the twist that turns your key....

I got my navel pierced about 12 years ago. It took awhile to heal and I finally found that if you fill a shallow bowl full of hot water and epsom salt and then lay down on the bowl with your belly button soaking in it then it healed right up. Also keep your jewelry in otherwise it closes up fast. Every time I have surgery they make me take it out and I have to re pierce it. :P

i had a lot of piercings done.. including my dick. what really hurt was my nipple.. but even that for woman is much less worse than for men.. different tissue, more pain for men..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I got my navel pierced about 12 years ago. It took awhile to heal and I finally found that if you fill a shallow bowl full of hot water and epsom salt and then lay down on the bowl with your belly button soaking in it then it healed right up. Also keep your jewelry in otherwise it closes up fast. Every time I have surgery they make me take it out and I have to re pierce it. :P

I've never had to remove mine for a surgery. They have always been cool enough to cover it with bandages. I've never been shocked or burned. :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I've never had to remove mine for a surgery. They have always been cool enough to cover it with bandages. I've never been shocked or burned. :)

Lucky! I just recently had foot surgery and they wouldn't do the surgery until I removed my navel jewelry. I was really mad because I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Oh well.

Lucky! I just recently had foot surgery and they wouldn't do the surgery until I removed my navel jewelry. I was really mad because I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Oh well.

Even for foot surgery? Damn, that sucks. I kept mine in even when I had my hysterectomy.

Knock on wood you never have to go through surgery again, but if you do...ask for the bandages.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Even for foot surgery? Damn, that sucks. I kept mine in even when I had my hysterectomy.

Knock on wood you never have to go through surgery again, but if you do...ask for the bandages.

I will! The time before that I had gall bladder surgery and they took it out through my belly button. I could understand they didn't want the jewelry in the way then. But yeah! Foot surgery??!! I didn't get it. Next time I'll ask for a band-aid. I like that better!

I'm sure I'll have more surgeries though. So thanks for the advice! ;)

Mine also took a long time to heal (at least a year) but the piercing itself didn't really hurt. When it was finally healed, I broke my ankle and needed surgery. I took it out and never put it back in. I won't do it again or have anything else pierced because it took so long to heal. Could be I'm just sensitive to piercings, who knows?

I had my done about seven years ago. My piercer gave me a page of instructions on how to care for a fresh piercing. Basically cleaning twice a day with anti-bacterial soap while rotating the jewelry and cleaning it with Bactin (sp) in between. He specifically forbade me to change the jewelry (a small hoop) until it completely healed which took about a month or so.

As far as for medical procedures, I took it out before abdominal laparoscopy that went right through the belly button (I put it right back after) but my doctor said there was no need. You will have to remove it before getting an MRI though along with all other jewelry.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

I usually just run fishing line through my piercings if I need to take them out for some reason. That, or you can also get clear plastic jewelry that's either hard plastic or flexible. Your piercer can order it for you if you can't find it. Plastic jewelry has worked just fine for things like x-rays, EKGs and Echocardiograms.