simplyputsi

Do you care about drug use at your DZ?? edited

Drug use by minors would have been a better title.

Personally I think teens could do a lot worse then smoke pot occasionally. Harder stuff is another story.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Underage or not, drugs or alcohol, doesn't matter. My problem is with people who stay up until the wee hours of the morning partaking in their drug of choice then think they are safe enough to jump. They can barely focus, talk or walk but they can get on a load. Scares me sometimes.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

I really have no patience for that nonsense. Drug abuse at the DZ has hurt our sport, our image, claimed lives, and run Dropzones into the ground. (Don't believe me? I'll get you in touch with a former DZO friend of mine who's DZ lost everything because of drugs right after he bailed out and sold it.)

There really should be a zero-tolerance policy. Do drugs at my DZ, then Audios Amigo.

I went to a boogie once where the DZO spent a good deal of $ to bring in a well-known Freefly organizer for coaching and organizing - he was the highlight of the boogie. Guess what I saw him do after the party that evening got going... I would never hire him. :|

=========Shaun ==========

I personally have no tolerance for it during jump hours.
After hours, it's pretty much none of my business for fun jumpers. So long as they are functional the next day.
There could be HUGE implications should a staff member have an incident.

There could be HUGE implications should a staff member have an incident.

It's happened before, and It'll happen again if DZO's allow that stuff on their premesis during, before, or after hours. Off the DZ, then it's too hard to peg, but on the airport, that's serious schiznit...
=========Shaun ==========

what, then no beer??

I'm sorry - I was refering to some things that are....a little bit....harder....:)
so pot would be OK then, right?
Since alcohol is a harder drug than pot.

Nice to see someone calling out the "alcohol or drugs" silliness. In my mis-spent youth I was around lots of legal and illegal drugs, and the one drug that stood out for being the most incapacitating, and causing the most unpredictable and violent behavior: Alcohol.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I know of a few people that have been kicked off DZ's for smoking up in the past. There have been even more staff walked out when they refused to take a random drug test.

Drug testing is the McCarthyism of our generation. You are presumed guilty until you prove your innocence, and you are called upon to prove it even though there is no probable cause to suspect you.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I know of a few people that have been kicked off DZ's for smoking up in the past. There have been even more staff walked out when they refused to take a random drug test.

Drug testing is the McCarthyism of our generation. You are presumed guilty until you prove your innocence, and you are called upon to prove it even though there is no probable cause to suspect you.

I'm not a big fan of drug testing, mainly because I see it as a waste of money on me. When a place has a no drug policy though what are you going to do. And if you are hired there you should take one if they ask, but if it's frequent I'd call it harassing.

Maybe the people phree was talking about were seen doing something and the dzo just wanted an excuse to get rid of them.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I'm not a big fan of drug testing, mainly because I see it as a waste of money on me. When a place has a no drug policy though what are you going to do. And if you are hired there you should take one if they ask, but if it's frequent I'd call it harassing.
Welcome to my life... have I mentioned the 4 random drug tests I've recieved w/in a 6 month window... :S and I have never nor will ever touch anything illegal... :|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You look like a user though.:P

Is that personal attack? j/k... :P;)

Do other people you work with get tested as much or just you?

I work with mostly Civilians but I imagine the military guys get hit periodically... also once your name got into the system it happens all the time as I understand it... :S

(i.e. I didn't have a single test for almost 4 years and then in the last year they've made up for it... w/4 tests w/in 6 months :S)

...and the one drug that stood out for being the most incapacitating, and causing the most unpredictable and violent behavior: Alcohol.

And yet, at every DZ across the country (world) we encourage drinking by virtue of the Beer rule. Why is it perfectly fine to get shitfaced hammered on your alcohol of choice, but get 'accused' of hitting a joint at 10 pm (whether true or not), and your branded and shuned as the dreggs of society. :S

To the boards in general:
I personally don't care what others do on THEIR time. If I don't like it then I won't hang with ya... your loss. ;) I would rather see someone spark up a fatty while sitting around the bonfire then watch em get stumbling drunk and acting like complete asshats.

What fun jumpers do on their own time (when it doesn't interfere with jumping) is their business and I'm not qualified to judge them. :) What staff / instructors do is, IMHO, everybody's problem. They're the ones whose taken upon themselves the responsibility for the safety of their students. Along with that responsibility is (should be) the ethic that they will be of clear mind to do the job. alcohol or drugs, I make no distinction and it garners the same amount of respect from me.

Now... having said all that... I buy my fair share of beer for the DZ. It's my choice whether to drink it or not, and I usually choose not to (I'd rather spend the funds on jumping versus lawyers, bail, insurance costs, etc.). ...and I'm always us for a safety briefing! So the next time your heading out to the car/rv/bushes/pea pit, give me a gently nudge and I'll happily tag along if I'm not already leading the way. :)

And yet, at every DZ across the country (world) we encourage drinking by virtue of the Beer rule.

That's precisely why I've provided fixens for root beer floats in the past...

And if you are hired there you should take one if they ask, but if it's frequent I'd call it harassing.

How about this true story:

I used to work for a large Fortune 500 company whose name rhymes with "Victrola". They had a mandatory "random" drug testing policy. My co-worker had been there 14 years and hadn't been "randomly" called for testing in years. He put in his two-week notice that he was quitting. A few days later he was called to take a drug test.

A couple years later, I put in my notice that I was quitting. A few days later I was called in for a drug test.

Coincidence? I was leaving because I had had my fill of the bureaucratic idiocy of that company, but learning that they used the random drug test as one last way to f*** employees who were leaving certainly didn't make me sorry I left.

Edited to add: I had not had a drug test since the day I started, and had been there 3 years when I gave notice.

Holy crap that is shitty!!!!!

It's odd the company I work for now does not have the policy. I was very amazed when going through the hiring process. Yet amazingly, well in my office, everyone SEEMS to be clean.

Really what they do outside the job is none of my business though.
Skymama's #2 stalker -