phoenixlpr

Was: Recommended specs on reserve exit weight, do you go over max?

You still have not provided any explanation to why I'm wrong.

I gave you several reasons you were wrong but it seems you choose to ignore them.

Are the smaller canopy built weaker than the larger ones?

One of the factors would be the fill time; this will make the peak force greater on a smaller canopy.

A canopy deployment does not consist of just a single factor. It is a dynamic event and involves many actions happening very quickly. Changing one will affect the outcome of the others. Don’t try to over simplify it. It must be analyzed in its entirety.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

***A canopy deployment does not consist of just a single factor. It is a dynamic event and involves many actions happening very quickly. Changing one will affect the outcome of the others. Don’t try to over simplify it. It must be analyzed in its entirety.

This is exactly what I would like to learn. Where can I find information on all the events involved in deployment? I would like to have a much better understanding of the events and their cause/effect relationship. I know there are MANY variables involved and finding out about them has proven difficult so far. Is there any resources out there such as books, websites, etc.? Thank you for your help.
Stuart.

Like I said, I'm here to learn I'm all ears.

Doesn't sound like it.

BTW why do I go against what everyone has to say? Maybe because at one time everyone thought the world is flat and someone was not afraid to question it.

Or maybe several hundred years of collective experience in a sport/ industry that you have almost zero in, provides "them" with a greater insight. Oh what am I saying??? of course YOU are right because you are of above normal intelligence, like MOST of the people you are argueing with.

(sigh) Here we go again kids.

Mick.

BTW: Fill out your profile, it adds (some) credibility to your statements, no one likes to talk with people who don't have the guts to identify themselves.

Thanks sparkey thats the answer that I'm looking for. Without that bit of insight I could not for the life of me figure out why a smaller parachute would blow up. It seems that the quicker fill time coupled with the fact that it takes longer for a heavier object to decelerate would cause the canopy to open at higher airspeed and overstress the canopy.
I do realize that there are many variables affecting the opening sequence and that I'm oversimplifying things. I will however get a copy of the book you recommended as I find this subject fascinating.

I apologize if I seem to come across as a smartass and a know it all. This was not my intention. Thats why I want to stress again that I am a newbie. I do not proclaim to be right or wrong on any subject. I am merely presenting the information I gathered from reading this forum and questioning it to further my understanding. Some of my comments are directed only to those who want to discredit me without giving any real information. To the rest of you, thank you, you've been extremely helpful.

Thanks sparkey thats the answer that I'm looking for. Without that bit of insight I could not for the life of me figure out why a smaller parachute would blow up. It seems that the quicker fill time coupled with the fact that it takes longer for a heavier object to decelerate would cause the canopy to open at higher airspeed and overstress the canopy.
I do realize that there are many variables affecting the opening sequence and that I'm oversimplifying things. I will however get a copy of the book you recommended as I find this subject fascinating.

I apologize if I seem to come across as a smartass and a know it all. This was not my intention. Thats why I want to stress again that I am a newbie. I do not proclaim to be right or wrong on any subject. I am merely presenting the information I gathered from reading this forum and questioning it to further my understanding. Some of my comments are directed only to those who want to discredit me without giving any real information. To the rest of you, thank you, you've been extremely helpful.

Ahhhh grasshopper, now that you have taken the pebble from my (sparkeys) hand the real learning can begin!!:ph34r:. BTW it is always a good idea to question CW, just be cautious of how you approach it. I like the fact that you are THINKING, ultimatly it leads to awareness. Look into becoming a rigger , just being around the field will amaze and astound you and will ultimatly fill in all the gaps that you currently suffer from. It's fun too!! Who knows you may become the next Dominia Jalbert!! Who you ask? look him up in poynters and other publications. He is considered by some to be the father of the ram air parachute. Ya never know until you try.

Mick.
PS: hook a brother up and fill out your profile:)

I am merely presenting the information I gathered from reading this forum and questioning it to further my understanding.

I hate to say it but a great deal of the information you will gather on this forum will have little or no basis in fact. Skydivers tend to take thinks like excerpts out a causal conversation and turn them into hard and fast “facts”. “My buddy says his rigger said this so”, next thing you know someone thinks he is a parachute designer.

Continue to do your research and really look hard at what people preach as gospel. With just a little knowledge and common sense you will be able to see probable fact from fiction.

If you can find a copy of it, “A short course on Decelerator System Technology” by Helmut G. Heinrich makes for good light reading.

Like Mick said, you want information, give some information. File out your profile.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals