cocheese

Shuttle launch Wednesday

Here's the Shuttle view from my driveway. We watch it on tv and then run out and about 30 seconds later see it clear the treeline. B|

I am so incredibly jealous that you get to see that from your house....thats awesome great pics!!! B|
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Shortly after they cleared the tower the NASA guy said:

"Barbara Morgan riding into space on the wings of a legacy."

That brought tears to my eyes . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

One of Fresno's finest! :)
She's been waiting 22 years for this ride. That's an example from which I think we can all learn. A legacy? Yes. But I think she sets enough of an example on her own.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Shortly after they cleared the tower the NASA guy said:

"Barbara Morgan riding into space on the wings of a legacy."

That brought tears to my eyes . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

One of Fresno's finest! :)
She's been waiting 22 years for this ride. That's an example from which I think we can all learn. A legacy? Yes. But I think she sets enough of an example on her own.

And she sat in the same seat location as McAuliffe did, on the shuttle that was built to replace the Challenger.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I got to do one (the last one) before the 911 restrictions that shut them down the entire day of a launch. Ive also got to jump with 10-20 rocket launches (not at the same time). I think the days of Shuttle Jumps at SSC are done for good though. I'd love to see them come back however.

Mark Klingelhefer

Coach,
A pilot I know told me that they get 3 g's constant during launch,
3 G's straight up, ain't that somethin'

Former Booster team member here......

Not really true. During powered flight they are indeed accelerating but the G's are less than 3.0. However the three main engines throttle back during the last minute of flight to limit the G's to 3.0 as the vehicle burns prop/becomes lighter/accelerates. The throttle back is constant to stay at that limit until Main Engine Cut Off (MECO).

I envy you. I, too, am one of those people who hopes to see a manned launch some day. Last night My wife and I watched as the shuttle/station flew threw our night sky. Despite the fact that it's only a light in the sky, knowing that there are ten people up there working in space -- including my countryman Dafydd Williams -- inspires a feeling of awe.