Viking

Can't make up my mind on an MMORPG

To me, playing an MMO is like watching TV or a movie.

Exactly correct. Only instead of passively watching the story, you're part of it. Instead of simply sitting next to your friends while watching the story, you get to play with your friends.

Unless a person's "hobby" is curing cancer . . . I don't see how playing WoW or any other game is any less "productive" than any other "hobby".
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So WOW players tell me about making weapons and items with the Professions system. Also how vital is it to choose a good Race/Class combo? Can you screw yourself if you choose the wrong class? Have they balanced out the system enough so you won't be struggling the entire game?

No matter what, someone will always be bitching about someone else being overpowered.

Each profession has its merits, although enchanting is one thankless mother fucker.

...Fuck me....I am NOT getting into this discussion today.[:/]

Edit:

Oh yeah, a dwarf priest will get you into any guild. Fear ward ftw.
But fuck healing. Go shadow. Much more fun. :-P

/NO NO NO MORE!

Clicking on links between whatever else you're doing hardly takes the effort & focus of WoW.

So . . . time wasted while being mindless is somehow "better" than time wasted while being mentally enganged?

Hmmm.

Yes there is a difference between filling idle moments and a huge time sink that absorbs massive personal resources. Why pretend otherwise, is there a reason for your denial?

Everquest earned the moniker Evercrack for a reason.

EQ, WoW etc. have caused people to flush degrees and careers down the toilet.

Apart from the people I've met and discussed this with there are ample examples of this online. Now not everyone has an issue with these games, but I've met plenty of people with vastly unhealthy relationships with their WoW accounts.

There's nothing wrong with occasional gameplay or even the occasional PC game butt-numb-athon, been there done that. But MMORPGs aren't as benign as that for all their players, even for the 'average' player I suspect. Most of whom have been compelled to play into wee hours going through the same instances with their guildies yet again. This is not rare it's absolutely typical.

But hey, if it's no big deal just post your /played numbers.

To me, playing an MMO is like watching TV or a movie.

Exactly correct. Only instead of passively watching the story, you're part of it. Instead of simply sitting next to your friends while watching the story, you get to play with your friends.

If movies were 5000 hours long with simple repetitive plot lines.

MMORPGs are engaging and interractive on the level of having a pigeon peck on the red button for seed.

Unless a person's "hobby" is curing cancer . . . I don't see how playing WoW or any other game is any less "productive" than any other "hobby".

I refer you to Plato's cave.

dorbie Please take this Private. This is not why i made the poll.

This discussion has moved beyond your poll. I am having a valid discussion responding to other posters including a moderator posting on exactly the same topic I am, all of whom are free to take this to PM's and none of whom you have asked to use PM's. So thanks for the invite but no thanks.

So WOW players tell me about making weapons and items with the Professions system. Also how vital is it to choose a good Race/Class combo? Can you screw yourself if you choose the wrong class? Have they balanced out the system enough so you won't be struggling the entire game?

There are a number of choices to be made right up front and a number of them that can wait for quite awhile.

If you want to play and interact with your friends, then you need to be on the same "team" as them; Horde or Alliance. I believe BikerBabe has already mentioned she is in a guild made up of some skydivers on the Alliance side of one server. If you want to play with them, then you'd need to choose Alliance.

The next level down is race and class. Each has advantages and disadvantages depending on the class within the race you want to play. It's fairly well balanced and it depends on exactly what you think you might want to do later in the game. Unfortuantely, you have to pick this before you actually know anything substantive about the game. You can do all the research you want, but sure as you're reading this you'll eventually find a slight flaw in the system somewhere; the grass always at least appears greener on the other side. If you're "hard core" then a couple percent advantage in one thing or another might mean a bit, but to the average player, it's really not going to be game breaking. Face it, you're not Fata1ity and you're not going to be the single world's best WoW player unless you're a professional game player. Don't sweat it. Just have some fun. I don't think it's possible to "screw yourself" if you pick the "wrong" class. I think a good player can make anything work. The real question is will you like the style of play that class offers, but only you can determine that by actually playing it for a bit.

Professions . . . you actually can blow these off for a bit until you learn a bit more about the game. Nothing earth shattering will happen if you don't pick up a money making profession in the first few weeks of game play. When you've decided what you might want to do as a profession, you can then blow through the lower levels of it and catch up in almost no time. There are secondary skills however, that everyone should pick up; Cooking and First Aid. These just help you survive a bit longer while out questings.

All along the game you need to make decisions about certain "factions". Some are more important than others. Some are simply there as a training level so that you'll understand the importance of factions later on.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

no actually you are not.

We get it. You dont like video games.

Dont Play them. But Viking did specifically ask for the opinion of those you play...

If you'd like to discuss why video games are 'evil' please make your own thread.

its rather odd to be lectured on what 'life' is about and how computers are evil life consuming endevours on an internet forum isnt it? if you like 'outside' so much go out now, or at least stop posting about it in this thread.

to much to ask?

I played WoW, raiding high-end content during the majority of the time I was in law school. It didn't impact my social life, or my academics (in fact, I finished a semester early because I worked my ass off). If I had to study, I blew off the raid and studied. If I wanted to go out with my boyfriend, I blew off raiding to go out with my boyfriend. Sure, it was easier for my guild to kill Nefarian with me, but they could do just fine without. No player is essential.

Like any hobby, it can get out of control IF YOU LET IT. How many marriages have ended because of skydiving? If it wasn't very many, we wouldn't have the term "Altitude Induced Divorced Syndrome". Every hobby has it's fanatics. The thing with WoW and skydiving is that most of us participants are not "obsessed" (at least not after the first few levels or skydives). We only hear about the ones who go nuts, because someone with proper balance in their life just isn't worth talking about.

why waste your money on that...

look into the actual math sometime, a subscription to most MMORGs cost less per year than many skydivers spend in a day... for HOURS more entertainment.

Ok so I went to the store and saw that WOW was only $19!! so ya I' have a lvl 5 Night Elf Rogue
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Ok so I went to the store and saw that WOW was only $19!! so ya I' have a lvl 5 Night Elf Rogue

Cool, have fun with it. I played up till TBC including TBC alpha and beta. Then I got distracted. Just remember to maintain balance. I was really bad at that for awhile which is why I have killed every raid boss up to TBC except for KT.

Im working on getting my priest to 70 these days, play a little here and a little there. I mostly go nuts over winter when I don't have any skydiving to fill my time.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

haha nope no robe or hat. I just hit lvl 10 about 30 minutes ago. I'm going to bed now. Gotta get up and help a friend move before i go to work. lol
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I want an MMORPG where I can pilot a jet/space ship/mech and have my personal skill count for something. The one thing I hate about 'em is that if some fucker who plays the game for 20 hours a day decides to kill me, it doesn't matter how good of a pilot I am in a simulator, I'm just toast because he's got Level 809230123 masturbatory deathray skill.

My ideal one would be something based on the BattleTech universe, where you could be a dropship pilot, jumpship pilot, mech pilot, aerospace fighter pilot, infantryman, etc. Let people pick at the beginning if they want to manually pilot shit, or typical RPG piloting shit where they can control a capital ship or whatever btu don't have to worry about actually controlling anything. Let people who want to manually pilot use the smaller combat craft and actually control them and stuff. People who don't want to fight can be traders or ferry pilots or politicians, whatever.

There was a game that had a brief run called Battletech 3025. I was in the closed beta for it. It was a simple concept that essentially needed something else to make it stick. The map of the Innersphere was broken up into individual systems and you would pick a system to do battle. It was essentially mech death match 2v2-4v4 I believe.

Had it not had to compete with the MechWarrior community, it would probably have done well. MechWarrior has such a hold on the pc flavor of the genre that until they make a MW MMO, you're pretty much screwed.

As far as space sims go... there is a newtonian physics direct-control mmo called Jumpgate. Your problem there is that the only people left in that very smally community are the types of people who would get together and set up their own knockoff server if the official servers were shut down.

What I really want to see is an MMO that combines the command element of Homeworld and direct-control space sim combat. Imagine being the commander of a fleet of real people who were actually flying the ships. The only thing stopping this would be hardware and network limitations.

Oh the cliche'.

:D

If the rogue hack and slash ever gets boring to you, create a druid. Druids have the most diverse playstyle in the game IMO. Their learning curve is higher, but it was the only thing that kept me playing the game. I have not logged in to my character since 2 weeks after TBC. He's stuck at level 65 and I'm selling my account. I just got burned out like I do. Any other class would have made me quit a lot sooner.

Also the sad thing is that unless you just love leveling characters (i know a few people like this) the game doesn't really take off until you hit 70 and get into PvP or end game PvE raiding. Everything between level 1 and 69 is just teaching you how to play your character.

haha nope no robe or hat. I just hit lvl 10 about 30 minutes ago. I'm going to bed now. Gotta get up and help a friend move before i go to work. lol

Good choice on class, rogues are fun all round classes and can solo pretty well, and add alot to a group. What server did you start on? I've got a 68 NE hunter on Thunderlord.

I used to play like a second job, then I got a second job and now only play a little bit on the weekends. Still a fun distraction though :)

|>.Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

"I put on my robe and wizard hat"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm probably one of the two people who'll get that joke hahahahahah
cavete terrae.

"I put on my robe and wizard hat"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm probably one of the two people who'll get that joke hahahahahah

Not 100% sure here but......

+------
|@..@.