BillPaine

Leg strap "slippage"

Is anyone out there having problems with leg straps slipping through the buckles when there's no weight or pressure on them? It happens primarily when I'm sitting in the aircraft. With my legs bent up in the seated position, the straps start to slip through the buckles. I have to tighten them up each time before I get out the door. It also happens once I'm under canopy and I squirm down in the harness to get into more of a seated position. However, the reason why I'm writing this is because of a more disturbing incident over the weekend. It was my first attempt at freefly. I did a solo jump and practiced getting onto my back (in the "recovery" position) and flipping back to the normal flat-fly position. While on my back I practised stretching my legs out straight (back track) and then tucking my legs up to my chest just to see how it felt and to make sure I could keep stable and maintain a heading. When the time came to dump, I flipped back on to my belly, waved off and reached back for "the ball". To my horror, it wasn't where it was supposed to be. The leg straps had slipped a good six inches and the whole rig had shifted up my back. My first attempt to grab the ball failed. I quickly went back to the normal box position and then threw my right arm around the back with more force. I just managed to grasp the ball and managed a successful deployment. I've spoken with the manufactures of the rig (a Talon FS built in Australia) and they have indicated that this is not a common problem. I've also spoken with various instructors at my drop zone and they also don't experience anything like this. I would be interested to hear from anyone who HAS experienced this (not to mention their solution to the problem).
"We have met the enemy...and he is us." Pogo

www.mondo-fiasco.com

I quickly went back to the normal box position and then threw my right arm around the back with more force.

What position were you in the first time you tried to pull?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I jump an infinity so the upper part of the leg pad is open. If it's sewn shut, a modification can be made to open it up.

The keeper is above the tread through instead of below it the usual way. I tighten the leg straps, the make one forward fold in half with the excess leg strap. I pull it through the keeper above the thr(ead through and into the upper part of the leg pad. The free end does not get pulled through the keeper)

It's really easy to do. It doesn't slip even with stainless hardware. (mine has stainless).

I'll try and post pictures but my stuff is temporarily in storage.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Leg straps slipping is a common problem.
The simplest solution is to sew an extra layer of webbing onto the leg straps.
For example, in 2004 Aerodyne International issued a Technical Bulletin to upgrade Icon leg straps by sewing on an extra layer of Type 12 webbing. This "bulks out" the leg strap buckle and reduce slippage.
I have done the same modification on Talons, Vectors, Sidewinders, etc.

For example, in 2004 Aerodyne International issued a Technical Bulletin to upgrade Icon leg straps by sewing on an extra layer of Type 12 webbing. This "bulks out" the leg strap buckle and reduce slippage.

Every time my gear starts to slip, I get my rigger to wash my rig. The dirt and oils in the webbing cause it to slip through the hardware. After every wash my rig is good for another year or two before the hardware starts to slightly stlip. This is the time between washings.

Seems like a simple fix to try before getting a rigger to modify the original design of your rig.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Which kind of buckle (quick fit adapter) you have on your rig? Is it the stainless steel type made by PdF? I have a Wings with this PdF ss buckle and it also tends to slip very slowly due to the smooth finish but nothing to be concerned about.
A couple of months ago I experienced an unusual slippage under canopy but I noticed it was mostly “caused” by the jumpsuit material. I was doing a BBF training and as I didn’t have a RW suit at that time I picked one from the DZ. Right on the first jump my canopy started to turn to the left noticeably (it has always flied straight). On the following jumps I checked the leg straps while in the air and I was able to see that the right strap was loose. The only thing I could think about was the jumpsuit material which was really slippery. The turns stopped a few jumps later when I switched back to my ff suit.
If the problem continues I strongly suggest that you contact the manufacturer. Uneven leg straps may cause opening problems.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I don't know what the technical name for the buckles is but the manufacturer tells me that they are the standard buckles for that rig. But they are not stainless steel. I'm driving up to Sydney this weekend to see the manufacturers. They're going to change the buckles and check out the leg straps in general. I'll jump the rig the weekend after that and then post another entry here to let you know how it went.

www.mondo-fiasco.com

Every time my gear starts to slip, I get my rigger to wash my rig. The dirt and oils in the webbing cause it to slip through the hardware. After every wash my rig is good for another year or two before the hardware starts to slightly stlip. This is the time between washings.

Seems like a simple fix to try before getting a rigger to modify the original design of your rig.

The design of the hardware is what should be modified, but unfortunately we can't do that on our own.

Washing the rig to prevent slippage is not reasonable, in my opinion. We shouldn't have to put up with slippage at all, but an extra layer of webbing seems more reasonable - unless there is some safety concern that is not obvious.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Washing the rig to prevent slippage is not reasonable, in my opinion.

Do you not think that all the dirt and oils in the webbing makes a difference to the webbing and how it reacts with the hardware? To me rig washing is a maintance chore, not a shiney look at my clean rig chore. However, I would like to know what your thoughts are.

Why would it get oil on it?

Maybe from our hands?

I've jumped a lot of old gear that did not seem to ever have been washed without such a problem. That includes years of jumping in the dirt/dust of Phoenix long before any dropzones had grass.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Maybe from our hands?

Exactly.

I've jumped a lot of old gear that did not seem to ever have been washed without such a problem. That includes years of jumping in the dirt/dust of Phoenix long before any dropzones had grass.

Ok. Well, our experiences are different, a bit, then. Although I do have sweat that eats away at the aluminium of Gatorz and makes them fall apart and wears the plating off of expensive brass trumpets. So maybe I'm special in that way.

I do have sweat that eats away at the aluminium of Gatorz and makes them fall apart and wears the plating off of expensive brass trumpets.

You should definitely wash your rig often. :D

Maybe from our hands?

Exactly.

Ok. Well, our experiences are different, a bit, then. Although I do have sweat that eats away at the aluminium of Gatorz and makes them fall apart and wears the plating off of expensive brass trumpets. So maybe I'm special in that way.

Toxic by the sounds of it!!;)

Mick.

We had similar issues with the MS 22040-1 leg strap adaptor hardware. We solved it by using a type 8 non-structural sandwitch with the type 7 structural leg strap webbing, worked fine. Easy to retro fit too.

Mick.

As Bill Booth is a known member here, and one who tests things extensively... I wonder if he would care to comment on this issue and whether he would approve the addition of webbing to the leg straps on a Vector?

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Are your leg pads too long? Sometimes that can keep the leg straps from being as tight as they should be. Then they'll slip.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I wonder if he would care to comment on this issue

Actually my brand new Micron seems to have a progressing "slippage" issue. I tried emailing several people from RWS but apparently their spam filters don't like the word "slippage" :P so I had no response so far [:/]

I had the rig custom made to my exact measurements but I'm visitong the manufacturers this weekend to see if any errors were made (or maybe the measurements I sent them were not correct). More news about this after the weekend.

www.mondo-fiasco.com