joeylad

buying secondhand rig from us?

i live in the uk and have placed a wanted add on the classifieds for a new rig.I have received a good offer from someone in the US but am very reluctant to part with the cash because i have no guarantee that the goods will ever arrive!? what is the best way to go about this?and is there a way to guarantee both parties receive there goods?

Yo. I am off to the US and would be happy to bring something back fro you if you are interested. I am off to two different boogies.
Maddy from DZsports will vouch for me.

On the other note. I can kit you out with gear at US prices.
Will send you a PM.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

On the other hand though you can pay for the services of a rigger in the US to work as a middle man. Get him to check the gear, when he receives your cash he will post it to you and then pay the guy.
You will always need to pay first. standard practice. I also work that way when people from outside the UK buy off me.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

i live in the uk and have placed a wanted add on the classifieds for a new rig.I have received a good offer from someone in the US but am very reluctant to part with the cash because i have no guarantee that the goods will ever arrive!? what is the best way to go about this?and is there a way to guarantee both parties receive there goods?

Pay by paypal and have the shipper use USPS global express.

Paypal will reverse a transfer if the seller can't prove the goods were delivered.

The least expensive shipping method with confirmed receipt for the seller is USPS global express mail.

Shipping should run about $100 and change for 25 pounds. To get that rate you need to fit your goods within the length + girth limit which is 79 inches for the UK.

In theory, the seller could send you a box of bricks. In practice, if you buy from known people (you can cross check their contact information with public phone listings) you shouldn't have problems.

I just sold my rig out of country and was very happy with how it went down. I contacted the local rigger and had them hold the money (cashiers check not a personal check), I then sent my rig to the rigger (not the buyer), after he inspected it and okayed it he sent me the money and gave the buyer the rig. Seemed to work fine for both of us.

Hello,

I just bought a rig from someone in the US and I'm in Canada. The sale went very smooth. AS I was told by alot of people, the skydiving community is so small. If you are willing to steal gear or screw someone over. Their skydiving days are very limited.

See:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2298885;search_string=david%20leif;#2298885

That guy probably isn't very popular I can imagine. Basically he borrowed a canopy, used it to pay his DZO outstanding dues. The owner got the canopy back by the use of these forums.

Everyone knows someone who knows you, it's pretty safe, but I do recommend going how others have stated. Do what you can to check out the seller, call his local DZ and ask about him, Use paypal etc. There's a bunch of things you can do to prevent things from going down.

As for me, the owner was very trusting, she sent me her rig, I liked it, I paid for it via money order. This is all happened last week.

Hope everything works out for you, be careful of duties and taxes etc, I got nailed pretty good!

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Hope everything works out for you, be careful of duties and taxes etc, I got nailed pretty good!

I always get the sender to say write on the customs form that it is demostration gear and must be returned.
Always works a treat.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I always get the sender to say write on the customs form that it is demostration gear and must be returned.
Always works a treat.

What if good go missing as they somtimes do, if you have no value cited you get Zip back.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My new rig got held at customs from US. They held it until I could tell them exactly waht it was. I told them it was a new harness/container system and they released it.... I still never got hit with any charges B|

Do you still pay taxes on secondhand items? I thought ws only for new :S

I got stiffed for £75 (inc. £5 admin) on a $600 rig. About 20-25% would be the bite on the declared value then.

I suppose giving it some value (ie $600) means the courier is less likely to be careless with it.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com