Cokie00

Container/Main

Hey folks. I just recently purchased a complete rig from one of the jumpers at my DZ. The harness is a C14 Javelin. There is a 190 ZP in there right now. My question is this... I'm still not at the level where I can be jumping a high performance canopy yet. One person has a F11 210 and a 230 that they said I could use. Now, will that fit in my container or did I basically screw myself with this entire purchase?

*Hope*
Living: The only thing worth dying for.

Go ahead and fill out your profile with your jump numbers and exit weight [your weight + ~20-25lbs] so we can get a better idea of how the setup will be.

What canopies are you jumping now?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I dont know how many jumps you have todate?? but with any purchases via internet, DZ, friends, etc... Always get a rigger to look the gear over before any real cash is put on a rig, then of course get permission from the owner to do a jump or two on it to make sure this is what you want.

I do not know your current wing loading?? but from a 210 to a 190 is not that far off in a general sense.

So with these two questions it is hard to say for certain. But ask an instructor at your home DZ for their input also.

Please Update your profile with number of jumps etc so we all can give you some input here.

Thanks.;)
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

My exit weight is about 200...So my wing loading is about 1.1:1 and I am having zippy openings and hard landings. Someone I know is selling a 230 canopy for 250 and one of the instructors told me it might be better but these were the same ones that told me that with 14 jumps I could jump a high performance one when I was standing landings on f11's. So what do you guys think? Think a 230 would be better and do you think it would fit? And how much does it cost to put on risers? As you can see, I'm totally new to this sport so thank you guys for helping!

*Hope*
Living: The only thing worth dying for.

Generally if a zero-p canopy of a certain size will fit into a container, an f-111 canopy of one size up will generally fit. However, check the size of your container, C14 is the harness size. It doesn't say anything reallyl about the size of canopies you can put into your Javelin.

Your instructors are the best for information regarding which canopies you should be flying. However, with that said, keeping in mind I have never seen the condition of these canopies. A zero-p canopy generally has much better flare power than an F-111 canopy. If these canopies are bagged out, you might not have any better luck with the landings with a bigger canopy.

Even though they are bigger they might let you down like a sack of potatoes. As for costs for putting a canopy of risers, that is a question best asked to your rigger. As they are most likely the one who will be doing a swap for you. They would also be the best person to ask about which canopies would fit. Being so new into the sport, your packing might not be up to packing a large canopy into a rig that is a little bit too small. If you're paying people to pack your parachute, you don't want them cursing your rig every time you drop it off.

1My exit weight is about 200...So my wing loading is about 1.1:1 and I am having zippy openings and hard landings.

Someone I know is selling a 230 canopy for 250 and one of the instructors told me it might be better but these were the same ones that told me that with 14 jumps I could jump a high performance one when I was standing landings on f11's. So what do you guys think?

2Think a 230 would be better and do you think it would fit? And how much does it cost to put on risers? As you can see, I'm totally new to this sport so thank you guys for helping!

As far as question 1 is concerned, it sounds like you are having difficulty making the transition from an F111 canopy to a ZP canopy. The landing flares are different. If you flare a ZP canopy the same way you flare the F111 you will have hard landings. Do some searches on "ZP vs F111" and "flare techniques". You will find some good advice helping to make the transistion from an F111 student canopy to the ZP Sabre.:)
The $250 you're looking to spend on a different canopy might be better spent in a formal canopy control course. http://www.freedomofflight.tv/public/index.php?which=canopy Scott Miller's essentials course appears to save you almost $100.:)
Question 2 is best taken up with a local rigger who can look at your equipment.
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Take a second look at the data panel (near the reserve pin) and tell us what size the container is: TJN, J4, etc.

C-14 referrs to the harness size, in this case, short with big shoulders. "C" refers to the size of the yoke (distance from the top of the reserve container - over the shoulder to the 3-Rings).
"14" refers to the length of the main lift web (distance from 3-Rings to the hip joint). "14" is almost the shortest harness available on a Javelin.