eeneR

Do you smoke?

Unfortunately, once people are addicted, smoking provides a multitude of pleasures. To quit smoking would mean giving up those pleasures.

I hate cigarettes.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I know someone that had instant success in quitting with acupuncture.

He says he never had any withdrawal.

Anyone else had any experience with acupuncture to quit?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The battle is 10% physical and 90% mental/emotional. Your smokes share everything with you; the highs and the lows, the smokes are always there. In some ways it is like giving up a best friend.

I was mentally and emotionally ready to quit when I did. Believe me, I tried SEVERAL times before the last one.

You can't wait for everything to settle down in your life. That time will never come. You do have to make it a priority and be ready to tackle it no matter what. Because I was so ready and I used the patch, the physical parts wasn't that difficult.

Six months or so ago I was gathering my stuff to leave the house. I had a brief thought "where are my cigarettes". Yes, almost 12 years later!! I laughed it off, but it still surprised me.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

i hope this doesnt sound smartass, b/c its not how i mean it.... but how exactly would you say you prepared yourself emotionally? or was it just a place you came to over time?

ive been a smoker for 3ish years and know that i need to quit. and soon. before it gets even more out of control (started with one or two a day, now up to about 3/4 of a pack). my main problem being that every time i get to the point where i am fed up and try to quit, it flashes back to me how much i ENJOY smoking. i really do just like the habit of it. every time i get in my car (by myself or with another smoker), i light up a cig. when i drink a cup of coffee, i think how much i would enjoy a cig. when i have a stressful day, i want a cig. when im anxious, i want a cig. the first thing i did after my tandem?? lit up a cig!!! i agree that they have become one of my dearest friends. they have been there through it all, and im not sure how to let them go.
i watched my grandfather die from lung cancer and promised myself i would never smoke. yet, here i am. and if that wasnt enough, what is???
sorry, im rambling, i just become so frustrated (obviously with myself, as it is my decision) that i cant let go of something that is hurting me. (but feels so good!!!)
so what would you say helped you get to "that point"? or was it just determination??

I do - I know the risks but I enjoy it. It is similar to Skydiving in that respect - both are found enjoyable by some people in a way that others cannot understand. Both carry inherent risks that are totally avoidable yet some of us chose to continue nonetheless.

It's exactly like Skydiving in fact its so like it that only smokers should be allowed to Skydive.

Regards

redkite

PS I'm glad you don't jump at my DZ - you come across as a bit of a PITA. Do you lecture fatties as well about being overweight and thus shortening their lives?

The battle is 10% physical and 90% mental/emotional. Your smokes share everything with you; the highs and the lows, the smokes are always there. In some ways it is like giving up a best friend.

Quite right. People want to smoke when they're stressed, when they're sad, or when they're happy. Every occasion is a good time for a smoke. They are always there for the smoker, they never let them down.

It is popular to ridicule anti-smoking advocates that want TV shows and movies to no longer have characters smoke. I am against it as a 'law', but think they are right. The movie Independence Day is a really good (bad) example. Smoking a cigar is an indispensable part of the celebration of his air combat victory. He even convinces the Jeff Goldblum character that he should enjoy a cigar when they expect to die. The clear message is that smoking provides great pleasure, it is how adults celebrate. I saw a drama/documentary on the Gen. Eisenhower's preparations for the Normandy invasion. I don't think there was a single scene where he was not smoking. I can't understand how this was necessary or added anything useful to the story.

I couldn't agree more. I wuit 9 years ago. Never again, never since.
Nastied thing we humans can do to ourselves.
It stinks like ass...bad ass at that.
Smells like an electrical fire inside the body...those that fool themselves thinking it doesn't need to get a clue. Everyone around you knows you smoke unless they smoke too. blech...
and all the chemicals in it..it is pure poison.
The effects of smoking killed my father. :(

It is simply a very poor choice on how to treat oneself. There is no gain from it wharsoever.
If you think you actually enjoy it, you are simply addicted.:S

NASTY![:/]

I have 0 sympathy for them when they pound into the ground.

I guess you have not lost any FRIENDS who have made that mistake.

I am pretty sure you have sympathy towards a person at one of your dropzones that this happened to last year.

Actually quite the opposite, I have this attitude because i am tired of seeing this shit over and over. I have lost WAY too many friends, or watched them pound in. Sure it sucks they got hurt, but 99% of the time it was preventable if they had listened or payed attention.

It is about making choices that can save or destroy our lives. You make a bad one, I am sorry for you (that is general you, not you) but that is your choice to make, and the pain you inflict on others is the price that is paid. I have very little sympathy for stupidity. Even my own.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I do - I know the risks but I enjoy it. It is similar to Skydiving in that respect - both are found enjoyable by some people in a way that others cannot understand. Both carry inherent risks that are totally avoidable yet some of us chose to continue nonetheless.

It's exactly like Skydiving in fact its so like it that only smokers should be allowed to Skydive.

Skydiving isn't gross. I think that even cig smokers are repulsed by smoke from pipes, the smoke is very different and more intense than a cig. Cigarette smoke is really repulsive to non-smokers. Even after a smoker is done smoking, they still smell like an ashtray for quite a while.

Of course you enjoy smoking, we all know it provides pleasures that non-smokers deny themselves. If smokers could slowly kill themselves and get that pleasure without stinking up the place and themselves, then perhaps only the people that loved the smoker would care.

Regards

redkite

PS I'm glad you don't jump at my DZ - you come across as a bit of a PITA. Do you lecture fatties as well about being overweight and thus shortening their lives?

There is no comparison between smoking and general skydiving...sorry. You can continue to live in denial, and keep convincing yourself otherwise.

Just like the digits that think they are invincible and will continue to hook it low or fly there canopies way out of range when advised otherwise. You are asking for it. Those that get defensive about my plea to take care of yourself and stop the horrid habit are the ones that have the largest problem.

For those of you who have quit, good on you! if you are thinking I will stand behind you, crappy icky mood and all. You are doing yourself a huge favor, you are doing your family an even bigger one.

As for me being a PITA. When it comes to watching people suffer from stupidty, it hurts. I hate seeing this when it is avoidable. So if me putting up a slightly bitter PSA makes me a pain in the ass in your eyes...thats too bad. People who know me, know that I am far from that when it comes to this stuff. You can form what ever opinion of me you wish, but I am not going to be the one to end up dead from smoking...that simple.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I've posted about this before, but I'll say it again. I lost my ex-father-in-law to smoking, but it wasn't cancer. He had to have a heart bypass because he also made poor food choices, drank and didn't exercise (hmmm, sounds like a lot of skydivers I know). His heart worked great afterwards, but they couldn't get him off the respirator because his lungs were so damaged. He died an agonizingly slow death over 10 days as his organs shut down, one by one. I wouldn't wish that type of death on my worst enemy, it was horrible to watch.

The worst part is that he quit smoking about 6 months before the operation because he wanted to be healthy for the grandkids he was starting to have. He only met 3 out of 10. [:/]

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ladies and Gentleman of the smoking section.....

This is what is commonly known as "TOUGH LOVE". I spent most of my child hood begging my parents to quit, begging my aunt to quit. Pleading and asking them to stop. Being nice didn't work. However if someone would face the reality of the situation and what could happen, I might save a life. I will not sugar coat this situation anymore, I did that most of my life and it got nowhere and I watched my family either dye or are in the process of dying.

If me being a "Bitch" or what other name any of you want to call me can make one person think twice, maybe start to back off and even quit. My work is done. I am not doing this for anyone but you people. I have sat through as a family member now going on round 2 of the after effects of this, as the person from the outside it sucks. I am sure it sucks even more being on the inside, being that person who is laying in a bed all fucked up B|

You can call me what you wish, you can form any opinion of me you wish. But that is between you and your conscious. Nothing you can say about me on this subject is going to hurt me, Most of you people may never run into me. If 20 years from now you end up laying in an ICU all tubed up I will never know, but your family will. This post is to attempt to have anyone else end sitting bedside with a loved one dying from cancer.

eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I had tried to quit on several occasions and failed. I prepared myself to be emotionally strong enough to do this for me. I set this as a personal goal and as something that nobody could take away from. Having tried so many times I also knew that the chemical changes that would take place in my body would also change my emotional state. I had terrible mood swings, but prepared myself to know that they were caused by the toxins leaving my body.

I really wanted to quit for a few years before I actually did. My mother dieing of emphysema was the last straw for me. I knew I had to do it as soon as possible. I was 30 years old at the time. I was already seeing the smoker's wrinkles on me.

I, too, loved the act (habit) of smoking. Again, your smokes are like your best friend. You have to figure out your own motivation or you'll never be able to quit.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

There is no comparison between smoking and general skydiving...sorry. You can continue to live in denial, and keep convincing yourself otherwise.

Smoking and skydiving both include additional risks we take on for one reason or another. Smoking carries much higher risks, and death from smoking will generally be a lot more unpleasant than death from skydiving. However skydiving risks are quite visual and in your face, whereas smoking risks are more "way down the road, when life won't be enjoyable anyhow" for many folks. You, eeneR, are experiencing an in your face exposure to smoking risks, and that's got you worked up. Non-jumping loved ones of skydivers who bounce sometimes get similarly worked up, but not to the same extent because most can appreciate beauty in skydiving, whereas few, if any, people, think smoking has its redeeming qualities.

Bottom line - smoking and skydiving are similar in that they are optional risks that some people expose themselves to, but they vary widely in the amount of risk.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Bottom line - smoking and skydiving are similar in that they are optional risks that some people expose themselves to, but they vary widely in the amount of risk.

But you see...Life itself is a risk. I never said they were not both "risks" they are, but they are not by any stretch in the same category.
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

But you see...Life itself is a risk. I never said they were not both "risks" they are, but they are not by any stretch in the same category.

Each year, approximately one out of every 1000 USPA members (0.1%) will die from skydiving. What percentage of smokers die each year from smoking? (I honestly don't know)

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Aren't you getting tired of having your life controlled by a little fag? No offense to anyone but the term fag is what some people call cigarettes. You pay out the you know what and get taxed so incredibly, can't get life insurance reasonably and on top of that your hair and clothes smell and you have to hide and feel like a criminal to do it nowadays. Just quit now and you'll realize that smoking is killing you! Not that you didn't know.

(I found this on iquit.com)
BTW, I started smoking again. and need to quit again!

I dont smoke. I used to chew but quit after a lot of effort and my wife sent me one of those pic's with half the guys face removed. But I do love a good cigar. I usually puff about 1 or 2 a week. I dont think thats to bad. Sorry to hear for your loss. My mom quit smoking. About 20 years to late but at least she quit. A lot of guys I work with smoke. I dont care. Hopefully that means I will be moving up the seniority list that much quicker.:S

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

What percentage of smokers die each year from smoking? (I honestly don't know)

I think the last commercial I saw said 1 in 3 dies.

Certainly not each year! In my entire life, I've known exactly one person who died from smoking...sort of. He was having surgery on his lungs that the doctors considered routine (by lung surgery standards), got a staff infection, and died from the infection.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Each year, approximately one out of every 1000 USPA members (0.1%) will die from skydiving. What percentage of smokers die each year from smoking? (I honestly don't know)

Blues,
Dave

Damn good question Dave! I am trying to find the exact numbers to correlate with the skydiving numbers, but here is some info to start with.

"Studies from Europe, Japan and North America have shown that 9 in 10 lung cancers are caused by smoking. In 2002, lung cancer killed around 33,600 people – about one person every 15 minutes ."

In the UK, smoking kills five times more people than road accidents, overdoses, murder, suicide and HIV all put together.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_2X_Smoking_and_Cancer_Mortality_Table.asp
http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/smokingandtobacco/
http://www.lungcancer.org/patients/fs_pc_lc_101.htm

I am still looking for the specific numbers to relate to the percentage of smokers that actually do die...I know I saw it somewhere and it was much higher then with skydiving ;)

In one of the articles above it states that smoking can take at least 15 years off of your life. Hell my mom didnt make it to her 52nd b-day.

NM, looks like onyourback and billvon got it.
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I dont think anyone would disagree that Smoking is a filthy habit and horrible for you. It greatly increases the chance of getting all of the problems you mentioned.. However those number that you are quoting are GREATLY exaggerated.

Like Dave, I only know of person that died from Lung Cancer and that was a great uncle when I was very young yet atleast 20 to 30% of the people I know are long term pack a day smokers.

In no way am I saying that smoking is not a Horrible health risk, just saying that those numbers are waaay off.