flygirl1

My poor kitty

I just brought her home from getting spayed and she is so upset. She wont where her elizabethan collar and she keeps screaming and jumping around. My vet said I have to keep her separated from my other kitty and she must be confined to a really big dog crate so she doesn't pop her stiches out from running around the house(she likes to climb and jump on everything and run laps around the living room). I've tried everything the vet told me to do to calm her down even cover her crate with a sheet and give her pain meds but, she is still really upset.

Anyone got any suggestions to calm her down? Have you had any problems with your cats licking their stiches out? I just talked to my vet and she told me to do the best I can to keep her collar on but, my kitty keeps getting it off or getting her paws stuck in it. I'm just really worried. Has anyone had this problem with their cats? I've only had male cats in the past and their surgery wasn't this tough:(
Fly like a girl

My kitties did the same thing. I stopped trying to calm them down and then they did it on their own.

They would get stuck in the collar, and then work their way out. She'll get used to it. :)
Mine never licked at their stitches, just rolled on their backs trying to get away from them. They feel like there is something they need to get off of them.

Oh, and I took their stiches out myself. Why have an unecessary vet bill? :P:D

Good luck!!!

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

My kitties did the same thing. I stopped trying to calm them down and then they did it on their own.

They would get stuck in the collar, and then work their way out. She'll get used to it. :)
Mine never licked at their stitches, just rolled on their backs trying to get away from them. They feel like there is something they need to get off of them.

She has been doing that too!

Oh, and I took their stiches out myself. Why have an unecessary vet bill? :P:D

Luckily all her stiches are on the inside so I don't have to take her back:)

Good luck!!!

Thanks
Fly like a girl

I wouldn't be too concerned about the stitches.

The vet wouldn't have released her if she didn't look OK. Does she look or act much different than she did when you first picked her up and brought her home?

How long has she been home?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

The vet wouldn't have released her if she didn't look OK. Does she look or act much different than she did when you first picked her up and brought her home?

She has calmed down a little in the last few minutes but, she has been calming down and then getting excited again on and off. I brought her home at 4pm
Fly like a girl

She has calmed down a little in the last few minutes but, she has been calming down and then getting excited again on and off. I brought her home at 4pm

I wouldn't worry about the stitches.

If she were in pain or sick, she wouldn't be jumping around.

She is probably just reacting to being moved from one environment to another, the car ride, etc. She'll carsh and burn from the excitement and be fine.

Why did the vet tell you to keep the collar on? What kind of collar?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Maybe she is getting upset becuase she knows you'll comes and give her attention and fuss.

She has a different cry for that:P besides I tried to leave her alone for a few hours when she first got home and her crying was way worse. She has calmed down a little since I have been fussing over her more:)
Fly like a girl

My little bengal screams her head off in the car, so I asked the vet if i could take her stitches out to avoid a trip. He said as long as the incision looked ok, no problem. It took about 20 seconds and there was no evidence that she could feel it at all. Talk to the doc first if you consider doing it.

-NickDG

I wouldn't worry about the stitches.

If she were in pain or sick, she wouldn't be jumping around.

Thanks:) She seems to have calmed down a little now and I think she is feeling the pain killers because she keeps swatting at imaginary flies:D

She is probably just reacting to being moved from one environment to another, the car ride, etc. She'll carsh and burn from the excitement and be fine.

Yep I bet(hope) she'll sleep well tonight:D She's used to car rides since I bring her along for company when I don't need to get out of the car but, I bet the surgery was pretty traumatic.

Why did the vet tell you to keep the collar on? What kind of collar?

It is one of those really big plastic cone collars that keep them from being able to lick them selves. The vet was worried about her licking her stiches out so she said I had to keep it on her but, she kicks it off the second I put it on or gets her entire arm up to her elbow stuck then flails around in a panic so I let her keep it of while I watch her and she seems to have calmed down a little.
Fly like a girl

My little bengal screams her head off in the car, so I asked the vet if i could take her stitches out to avoid a trip. He said as long as the incision looked ok, no problem. It took about 20 seconds and there was no evidence that she could feel it at all. Talk to the doc first if you consider doing it.

Luckily my vet told me all her stiches were on the inside so I don't need to come back in unless there is a problem:)
P.S How is that kitty and her kittens you were looking after? Did they all find good homes? What happened to their farel mother?
Fly like a girl

Luckily my vet told me all her stiches were on the inside so I don't need to come back in unless there is a problem:)
P.S How is that kitty and her kittens you were looking after? Did they all find good homes? What happened to their farel mother?

She moved them off the porch one night. Weeks went by without seeing mom or the babies, so I thought she either killed them or moved really far away. Then mom shows up alone looking for food. Found the kittens (3) a couple weeks ago. I'm keeping them fed, but since they are wild, the no-kill shelter won't accept them. Unless I can keep coaxing them closer and closer and eventually make them "not wild' and hope the shelter will take em, they will just have to survive or die like cats in the wild. There's no way I can keep them, but they will always be fed while I'm here.

god luck

-NickDG

She moved them off the porch one night. Weeks went by without seeing mom or the babies, so I thought she either killed them or moved really far away. Then mom shows up alone looking for food. Found the kittens (3) a couple weeks ago. I'm keeping them fed, but since they are wild, the no-kill shelter won't accept them. Unless I can keep coaxing them closer and closer and eventually make them "not wild' and hope the shelter will take em, they will just have to survive or die like cats in the wild. There's no way I can keep them, but they will always be fed while I'm here.

god luck

You should look in to trapping them and getting them fixed before they all have kittens too. I would be happy to help you out with the cost. I don't have a lot but, I bet you could get other people to help too. I think Trap-Neuter and return will let you borrow traps and Tell you where the low cost spay/neuter clinics are in your area.

Good luck with them:)
Fly like a girl

Sorry to hear your kitty is not doing well. Hopefully, she's calmed down by now. Since she's refusing to wear her E-collar, keep an eye on the stitches. I've seen one too many animals (dogs and cats) come in after having licked out their stitches, and yeah...they don't appreciate us having to restitch them.

If she hasn't calmed down, see if your vet will prescribe a sedative along with the painkiller...kinda like a "kitty valium." Good luck! :)

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Sorry to hear your kitty is not doing well. Hopefully, she's calmed down by now. Since she's refusing to wear her E-collar, keep an eye on the stitches. I've seen one too many animals (dogs and cats) come in after having licked out their stitches, and yeah...they don't appreciate us having to restitch them.

If she hasn't calmed down, see if your vet will prescribe a sedative along with the painkiller...kinda like a "kitty valium." Good luck! :)

Thanks! She has calmed down this morning. She is still crying and jumping around a bit but, It's a lot better. I found that if I go between spending a few minutes lying down and cuddling with her in her crate and leaving her alone for a few minutes she calms down. She hasn't been licking at her stitches (or what ever they used on the out side of her skin maybe some sort of glue?) yet but, I'm worried she might in a few days when they get itchy. I tried a few more times to keep her oclor on but, to no avail. I'll just keep a close eye on her and take her to the vet if I see any problems.
Fly like a girl

Thanks! She has calmed down this morning. She is still crying and jumping around a bit but, It's a lot better. I found that if I go between spending a few minutes lying down and cuddling with her in her crate and leaving her alone for a few minutes she calms down. She hasn't been licking at her stitches (or what ever they used on the out side of her skin maybe some sort of glue?) yet but, I'm worried she might in a few days when they get itchy. I tried a few more times to keep her oclor on but, to no avail. I'll just keep a close eye on her and take her to the vet if I see any problems.

Good. Sound's like she's OK.

Did the vet tell you how long to use the collar? It shouldn't take long for the incision to heal enough to be mechanically strong enough for licking. I have never heard of a cone collar being recommended after a spay job before.

Re: spay/neuter, I have access to some coupons intended for that purpose. Spay/neuter will be pretty much free.

-NickDG