ACMESkydiver

What's the Best Way to Prevent Scars?

I've got these all over both arms right now. -Like I mentioned somewhere else, it's been a sh*tty week. :S:P

So these little gouges and scratches annoy the hell outta me because being very pale-skinned, I scar easily.

So what's the best way to keep these things from permanently scarring? I have enough of these permanent scars on my hands and forearms...any more and people are going to start think I'm a masochist or something. >:(

-I accidently caught the scab on that big one today on some material and it was bleeding again...does peroxide or antibiotic ointment work better to heal these?
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I've got these all over both arms right now. -Like I mentioned somewhere else, it's been a sh*tty week. :S:P

So these little gouges and scratches annoy the hell outta me because being very pale-skinned, I scar easily.

So what's the best way to keep these things from permanently scarring? I have enough of these permanent scars on my hands and forearms...any more and people are going to start think I'm a masochist or something. >:(

-I accidently caught the scab on that big one today on some material and it was bleeding again...does peroxide or antibiotic ointment work better to heal these?

Aloe or Neosporin for the healing. After they are closed up, Vit E directly out of the gelcap to minimize scarring.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

DO NOT USE PEROXIDE!!! It does more damage than good.

Keep those covered with bandaids apply antibiotic ointment liberally, and do not pick those scabs.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I swear by Vitamin E. I participated in a study in college (free money whheee;)) and the obscene amounts they were injecting me with pretty much removed all the years of BMX and Skate scars..

I still take 1000 i.u a day and the surgery scar from where i femured myself several years ago is nearly invisible (its large enough you can see the texture) but the 'shallow' rope burn scars i used to have on my arms are completely gone..

note: not an MD, but between internal and topical Vitamin E i've got nearly no easily visible scars at all despite a life time of use and abuse and i'm a fair skinned type too..

Aloe or Neosporin for the healing. After they are closed up, Vit E directly out of the gelcap to minimize scarring.

I didn't think you could put aloe on an open wound...some of these are opening up as they are getting pinched or scratched again...
~Jaye

I didn't think you could put aloe on an open wound...some of these are opening up as they are getting pinched or scratched again...

I went and bought an aloe plant for these chigger (sp) bites all over my feet. It was the only thing that helped. It's great for sunburn blisters as well.

Don't scratch! It will only cause an infection.

Vit E works wonders on the scarring.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I swear by Vitamin E. I participated in a study in college (free money whheee;)) and the obscene amounts they were injecting me with pretty much removed all the years of BMX and Skate scars..

I still take 1000 i.u a day and the surgery scar from where i femured myself several years ago is nearly invisible (its large enough you can see the texture) but the 'shallow' rope burn scars i used to have on my arms are completely gone..

note: not an MD, but between internal and topical Vitamin E i've got nearly no easily visible scars at all despite a life time of use and abuse and i'm a fair skinned type too..

Ok so you are taking 1000 iu a day in like a gel-cap form? NOT injection any more, right? :P

I can take more vitamins. I can down 23 in one swallow. B|
~Jaye

Scar is best memory on your body. I have a long scar, which it bring me a memory. It's not about beautiful or not beautiful scar. It's about scar memory. :)

Some scars bring back memories of fun stuff or a time that you overcame adversity, etc...

These are not happy. I want them gone.
~Jaye

Ok so you are taking 1000 iu a day in like a gel-cap form? NOT injection any more, right? :P

no no more injections that was only for a 6month period in college. I'm not exactly disciplined about the 1000 pill either, but I take at least 2-3 a week when i remember in the morning..

one thing about taking a fist full of vitamins daily.. you HAVE to drink alot of water otherwise they dont break down very well and you end up pissing most of it out (you'll do that anyway, but the extra water is good for you and helps with absorption)

Aloe or Neosporin for the healing.

I had a student in one of my scuba classes that was a dermatologist, and we were talking about small skin wounds. She mentioned that they've done studies that show that Neosporin and other similar topicals don't do any better than putting plain ol' Vaseline on it. She said they will heal much faster and scar less if you keep them covered in a jelly, but save yourself the expense, and get a small tub of Vaseline instead of Neosporin.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I find the best way is to stop being a masochist. :D
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

no no more injections that was only for a 6month period in college. I'm not exactly disciplined about the 1000 pill either, but I take at least 2-3 a week when i remember in the morning..

one thing about taking a fist full of vitamins daily.. you HAVE to drink alot of water otherwise they dont break down very well and you end up pissing most of it out (you'll do that anyway, but the extra water is good for you and helps with absorption)

thankfully I am pretty good at drinking 4-6 bottles of water per day, minimum. B|
~Jaye

I had a couple nasty scabs from bad landings and tried peroxide and Neosporin. It wasn't until I listened to my grandma and used Bactine that I started to heal. I use it for everything. It seems to help just about any skin abrasion heal quickly. It's antibiotic, which is helpful (things that get infected tend to scar worse). It's a spray, so it's not goopy and won't make any covering stick to you. It's super cheap at any drug store and you don't have to use a lot. You'll have plenty left over (dare I write it?) for next time.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

I had a couple nasty scabs from bad landings and tried peroxide and Neosporin. It wasn't until I listened to my grandma and used Bactine that I started to heal. I use it for everything. It seems to help just about any skin abrasion heal quickly. It's antibiotic, which is helpful (things that get infected tend to scar worse). It's a spray, so it's not goopy and won't make any covering stick to you. It's super cheap at any drug store and you don't have to use a lot. You'll have plenty left over (dare I write it?) for next time.

I'll pick up some Bactine, too...good to have in the medicine cupboard.
~Jaye

Before you take any advice here, please do some research (I'm sure you are) on taking large doses of anything. There is research out (a 7-year John's Hopkins study) that shows large doses of Vitamin E may be more harmful than good. Personally, I'm not sure. It's just what I've read.

Before you take any advice here, please do some research (I'm sure you are) on taking large doses of anything. There is research out (a 7-year John's Hopkins study) that shows large doses of Vitamin E may be more harmful than good. Personally, I'm not sure. It's just what I've read.

Interesting; I know that many fat-soluable vitamins are not recommended for mega-doses, but I hadn't heard of vitamin E. I'll look around.
~Jaye