Pele2048

What's a reserve look like?

That's a big "It depends". The Skydiver's Information Manual has the recommended procedures in the "emergencies" section (the link). Your instructors will go over it with you in the first jump course.

THE VALUE OF THE GEAR SHOULD NEVER FACTOR INTO YOUR EMERGENCY PROCEDURES!!!

Unless you think your life is only worth a couple thousand bucks.

If you could come up with a small, not terribly expensive locator beacon for cutaway gear then you won't have to worry much about paying for jumps.
There have been a few out there, but nothing that's really taken off, usually due to the cost (usually the cost of the ground locator part of the gear).

Would the added weight/volume of something the size of a small cell phone to the control handles of my main really compromise it that much? Is such a minor change really jeopardizing my safety?

My idea is a small low power transmitter that constantly sends out my radio callsign either in recorded voice or morse code on the amateur radio frequency. Such a transmitter can be about the size of a book of matches, along with a pair of AA batteries to power it.

If I have to cut away, land via reserve at the drop zone and go to my car where I have a receiver and a yagi antenna. Yagi antennas are set up to pick up signals in only one direction, so simply wave it around and where ever I hear my transmitter, start heading out that way.

Not a perfect locator, but more of a "Hot/Cold" way of finding things.

Did you see this...

US Patent Issued on April 21, 1987
Estimated Patent Expiration Date: June 19, 2004

Does that mean I can start up a new business?

It sure does. You will problably make twice what the last guy did. :P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Did you see this...

US Patent Issued on April 21, 1987
Estimated Patent Expiration Date: June 19, 2004

Does that mean I can start up a new business?

It sure does. You will problably make twice what the last guy did. :P

Sparky

Does that mean he will sell two? :D

An open reserve is a beautiful sight, especially if it's over your head. Someday you'll know. In the meantime, anytime and every time you see one over somebody else, it's just the same for them. It means we all live to see the rest of our lives.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !