boinky

I've Been Violated-Question at the end!

Yesterday morning, I headed out to put my skydiving gear into my truck. I noticed that my locks didn't click they way they normally do when I open the truck, but didn't pay it much attention. But when I opened the driver's door...I found out that someone had broken into my truck over the weekend. >:( I didn't notice when I was walking out to load the truck, but the sliding window looking out onto the bed of the truck was completely open.

After careful inventory, it seems that the only things that they took were an ashtray full of change. Probably $4-$5 worth. And a VERY nice poker chip case full of chips. You'll see the stray red chips left in the rear seat. A real slap in the face. B|

There was a pair of Oakley sunglasses, in their case, in the overhead console. As you can see, they left those. And there were cd's in the doors and they left those too. :S Maybe they didn't like my taste in eyewear and music? ;) There was also a spare key to my house under the ashtray. Fortunately, they didn't take THAT, or that could've be real trouble.

I'm upset about the missing things. And more upset about the fact that what they took will cost me more to replace than it will get them for resale. And the money was pathetic. Do you have ANY idea what Ford charges to replace stupid stuff like ashtrays??? :o

But even those things aren't what has me upset the most. I feel personally violated. They went through every single thing in the truck. You never really think about what you have in your vehicle until something like this happens. I had some mail, receipts for repairs and maintenance on the truck. And the original receipt from when I bought the truck. Had they taken those...they could've stolen my identity (not that they would've gotten much).

I did go skydiving, just because I needed to get away and air my mind. But when I got home, it was night. I couldn't sleep. Every time I heard a door slam, I wondered if it was MY truck door. I'm pretty grumpy and tired today. And having a self-pity party. :(

Here's my question for you: Do you know what's in YOUR vehicle? Do you have money? Jewelry? Personal mail? Anything that could help them steal YOUR identity?

I was lucky. No damage to the vehicle and very little stolen. But please use me as a bad example and go out and investigate what you have in your vehicle. Before you learn the hard way. B|
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Be happy that was all they took. in October 1997, my car got stolen at a boogie in TN from the motel I was staying at. I had jumped all day and partied that night and was so tired when I got to the room that I just locked my gear and other stuff in the car. Next morning, car gone. Luckily my roommate was with me and helped me go through the paces with the police and got me a ride back to the airport where I jumped all day with 100% borrowed gear, and caught a ride home with a friend who lived a mile from me. A week later I got my car back after a tip to local police led to it being found in the woods almost without a scratch, but minus the gear.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. It SUCKS having a vehicle broken into, whether or not they got 'expensive' items or not.

I guess if anyone broke into my Suburban, they'd get a whole bunch of Pamper's Pull-ups, some baby wipes, and a whole bunch of loose receipts that I really need to get outta there.

Take care...I wish I could say something to make it better for you. I've had my car and my truck broken into before...but my own stupidity saved me from having the Suburban stolen! I left the lights on, killed the battery, and the would-be thief couldn't start the engine! >:(:D:D:D

Hope things go better for you. :)

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Yup. Very grateful indeed. But no...I would NEVER leave my gear in the vehicle. Hell, when I plan a trip out of town, I've always refused to pre-pack the truck until the morning of departure, for this very fear. [:/]

Nina

I guess if anyone broke into my Suburban, they'd get a whole bunch of Pamper's Pull-ups, some baby wipes,

:D:D:D

The weirdest thing is that the truck supposedly has some sort of passive anti-theft thing. If someone attempts to open the vehicle without a key, I thought it was supposed to make the alarm go off. But I think that's only if you use the door locks to make illegal entry. It has been suggested that there's some sort of tool that can "jimmy" a sliding rear window. Looks like I might need to look into some sort of lock for that, huh? >:(

The keys are computer chipped. It won't start, key-wise, unless a key has been computer programmed. I don't know what would happen if someone broke in and hotwired it though. :S
Nina

Sorry to hear your plight and I feel for you having to go through the feelings of "violation". Geez...if only...if only...we could actually catch the perps red-handed and get a little "personal time" with them before we handed them over to the cops...if only....
>:(

Thanks for the reminder...I should go clean out my truck.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If you leave big money ($10.00 or more), jewlery, and personal mail in your vehicle you deserve to have it stolen identity included!

Deserve?

So because you leave anything outside your house you DESERVE to get it all stolen?

Noone DESERVES to have their private property stolen.

I really hope this isn't how you really think.[:/]

I know someone that said that very thing to me, once. He's presently in jail for larceny.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'm so sorry you're truck got broken in to[:/]. It must be really unnerving to know people went through your stuff! Some people are so selfish>:(

Thanks for posting about it. You reminded me I really do need to go clean out my car. I was really tired last night when I got home from the DZ and of course I grabbed my rig but, forgot my log book, neptune and my flight bag from a flight I made earlier that day. I would be really upset if I lost that stuff especially the irreplaceable log books. I'm going to get them out right now and try to be less careless next time.

Fly like a girl

Some people are so selfish>:(

Yeah....what YOU said! ;)

Thanks for posting about it.

Unfortunately....you're welcome. [:/]
Nina

I have sun shades on my front windows when I'm not in the vehicle. Can't see in the front of the truck. Sliding rear window is heavy tinted, so you can't see into that easily at night. Side windows are slightly tinted, still hard to see into at night.

Upper console doors were closed. No evidence of anything in them.

Ashtry compartment slides into truck dash. Is always kept slid in.

Center console had the mail. Was closed.

Poker chip case UNDER the rear bench seat, BEHIND some blue sun shades and the first aid kit that you see in the seat in the picture.

Nothing was left out in the open to warrant a break in. Just an ordinary, dirty truck.

And did I say anything about a diamond ring or any jewelry getting stolen? :S

Nina

The only thing I have in my car is a few pennies in the ashtray (for those times when you go slightly over at the pump!) and the owners manual in the glovebox.

Nothing to nick and therfore nothing on display.

Sorry for your damage. Bastards! >:(

Sorry for your damage.

Thanks. :)

Bastards! >:(

YEAH!! >:(

The only thing I have in my car is a few pennies in the ashtray (for those times when you go slightly over at the pump!) and the owners manual in the glovebox.

Well, the change is mostly for when I have to go through to those darned toll booths in Houston. Which, by the way, I accidentally had to go through last night. With no change. Guess who had to go through the "full service" booth. [:/]

I'm considering not putting the owner's manual back in there. If they steal that, they are actually pretty expensive to replace. There's no lock on the glovebox. I might have to look into one.

Isn't it a shame when an innocent, basically law abiding individual, has to start spending money just to protect what they legally acquired? There's just something very wrong with that picture. :S
Nina

If you leave big money ($10.00 or more), jewlery, and personal mail in your vehicle you deserve to have it stolen identity included!

Hopefully you didn't mean that how it sounds, cuz it sounds like the opinion of a thief. :S

I think most thieves deserve far more prison sex than they get, and it's too damned bad that they enjoy it so much. :S

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Sorry to hear about your truck and your feeling so nervous!

My husband drives a Hybrid and when the little shits who stole his car could not figure out how to drive it, they took out the manual, sat on the hood of my car, and figured out how to start the thing. I got to drive around with the guy's butt print on my dirty car while looking for the missing one. We ended up getting it back, with some things missing, but otherwise intact. I did not sleep for days.

You did not deserve it, by the way! My logic: if I leave the door to my house closed, but unlocked it does not mean I deserve to be robbed. People are just shits.

That's a bit harsh isn't it?? Calling me a thief??? Since when does what I posted make me a thief?? People inviting someone to break into their car or truck do deserve it. From what she first posted it sounded like everything was out in the open. Also since when can I not post a personal opinion whitout a personal attack???If you don't like what I posted tough shit. Oh and it sound like you know alot about prison sex!! :D

I'd have taken that sweet ass pillow mmmm soft (sorry tired) ;)

My kitty, Annika, said to step away from the pillow and no one gets hurt! :D:D (It's her sleeping spot when we travel)
Nina

That's a bit harsh isn't it?? Calling me a thief??? Since when does what I posted make me a thief?? People inviting someone to break into their car or truck do deserve it. From what she first posted it sounded like everything was out in the open. Also since when can I not post a personal opinion whitout a personal attack???If you don't like what I posted tough shit. Oh and it sound like you know alot about prison sex!! :D

I didn't call you a thief, I said that I hope you didn't mean that the way it sounded, because it sounded like the opinion of a thief. You did it again above, when you said "People inviting someone to break into their car or truck do deserve it." Personally, I think only a thief would regard valuables laying in the open as an invitation to steal them. If I looked into a car I was walking by and saw a laptop sitting on the passenger seat, I wouldn't consider it an invitation to steal it. Would you?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Where did I say it was an invatation for me?? People who break into cars look for easy pickens. If most people don't do what the police advise then they deserve it. What do the police tell people to do at christmas time?? There's that personal attack again and I quote " I think only a thief would regard valuables laying in the open an invitation to steal them".