cdhezel

Dickhead awards

I got coaching whenever it was available, and am fairly skilled, but there were times when luck was involved, but I don't think very many.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

it is interesting to look back at these comments, subsequent a lot more jumps, canopy piloting courses and DZ advise from many people who's skills have my respect ...

in summary, weight is not the deciding factor in canopy size or design, wing loading IS important, but so is skiil, and reflex, the skill comes with practise but the reflex reactions that can make the difference between an interesting situation and a major screw up are found through training, muscle memory and awareness, how quickly one can recognise a situation, analyse and remedy is something that comes with jumps, jumps, jumps.

As a very good canopy pilot and coach once told me, most people downsize their canopy before they can achieve even 70% of the canopies capability's. REmember, you fly the canopy not the other way around.

Blues

CD
When I go, I want to pass away in my sleep, just like my dear old Grandmother, NOT screaming like the passengers in the car she was driving.

...in summary, weight is not the deciding factor in canopy size or design, wing loading IS important, but so is skiil, and reflex, the skill comes with practise but the reflex reactions that can make the difference between an interesting situation and a major screw up are found through training, muscle memory and awareness, how quickly one can recognise a situation, analyse and remedy is something that comes with jumps, jumps, jumps....

Qualifies for a Top Dog Common-Sense Award!
:)
Ahhhh...but alas, it seems these days that fewer and fewer people are watching the awards ceremony.
[:/]

You've heard it how many times?????
I have been landing stand-ups on this canopy for 100 jumps. I'm ready to downsize!!!!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

aye tis true Blue, anyway if I land 100 jumps on my feet then I am not trying hard enough..... seems that the downsizing has become synonymous with progression and improvement.......

Blues CD
When I go, I want to pass away in my sleep, just like my dear old Grandmother, NOT screaming like the passengers in the car she was driving.

Hi VB (did you spend too much time in South Australia, the beer I mean not the virgins, do you know why JC was not born in Melbourne ??)

anyway, the synonymous comment was rhetorical, not a positive observation

too many wannabe sky gods, ;)

I agree with you that selling 135 square foot canopies to newbies is dumb, bordering on criminally negligent.

However, I have recently been involved with selling Sabre 1-150s to two young jumpers. They both held A Certificates and had less than 100 jumps. They are both young women a lot closer to 100 pounds than me.
Tee!
Hee!

The first is a commercial pilot and jump pilot, who shamed the boys with her great accuracy skills on Solo 270, Skymaster 230 and Hornet 190 canopies.

The second customer is also a petite lady, not quite so bold, but she has also demonstrated decent accuracy with Solo 270, Skymaster 230 and Hornet 190 canopies.

I'm not going to agree or disagree but this is my story.
Straight out of my AFF with about 25 jumps i told the owners of the dz i wanted to buy some gear. I am 70kg and he said he knew of a great rig with a saber 170 in it and i should buy it. Looking back now not only did i pay too much but after about 50 jumps i looked really closely at the info on the canopy (it was really worn and hardly readable) and noticed it was a 150! And this guy is a really respected guy in Oz and i guess i was a dumb newbie. Anyway, i'm still walking luckily but didnt find the 150 to hard to deal with.

>What if the newbie in question weighs 100 lbs?

Would lead to an exit weight of say 130lbs. Per Germain's chart, someone with 20 jumps should be at a 170 or larger. Could you push it to 150? Probably, and get away with it 8 out of 10 times.

(Note that a new 100lb jumper loading a canopy at .87 to 1 is at considerably more risk than a new 200lb jumper loading a canopy at .87 to 1.)

that my friend is not quick dealing but fraud, but then again it was up to you to check, I am curious as to what was on the papers, or was that also illegible, if the papers are falsified then I suggest 2 courses of action
1 remove canopy in pod from container and shove it up the riggers.....
2 jum the canopy until you are ready for a new one then return it to the rigger for money returned ... falsifying papers of a canopy contravenes aviation laws... quite serious offence
>:(