simplyputsi

Can't sleep because you are too worn out??

It's something that has been going on for me since I guess I got into pretty good shape.
I would always hate after a triathlon that I was exhausted, beat, tired as could be and no matter how relaxed I made myself I could not fall asleep, it was almost the opposite.

Then yesterday, in my hung over sleep deprived state the same thing happens. I though for sure I'd go home from work and crash. Right right, I wish.

I found myself up a little later than usual wishing I could just crash. It happened finally, but not soon enough I say.

So anyone have this? You're completely run down and can't sleep? What do you think causes such things?
I do not have trouble sleeping usually, and I do not drink caffeine, or pop a pill for it.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Due to a stupid work schedule, I get about five hours of sleep at night. I spend my entire day exhausted and just counting the hours until I can go home, do my homework, log on for online school, and go to bed. Then, the clock hits midnight, and I'm just staring at my ceiling, too tired to relax enough to fall asleep. When I finally do fall asleep, I wake up in five hours and do the same thing the next day. By the time friday rolls around, I've got a migraine (lack of sleep is a migraine trigger for me).

Edited to add: It feels like what causes the inability to sleep is that when you force your body to run on empty for so long, you over-ride the usual off-switches that let you sleep, and they take a little while of relaxing to reset. I've found that taking chamomile pills (a little stronger than the tea) about an hour before I want to sleep helps a bit.

I sound like a broken record lately but...

meditation..

I can sleep pretty much anywhere at anytime.. granted drifting into sleep is something you are supposed to work on NOT doing to meditate, but it is a useful 'side effect' when all I want/need is sleep.

Usually by the time I'm that tired, my ability to focus on anything is completely shot.

which is the perfect time to meditate.. learning to focus when its 'easy' doesnt help much...learning to focus when the world is exploding around you and/or you are on your last nerve is when it pays off..

its the same reason you practice physical techniques to exhaustion THEN apply them.. it illustrates 'where you really are' and reveals the faults you need to work on.

I get about five hours of sleep at night. I spend my entire day exhausted and just counting the hours until I can go home, do my homework, log on for online school, and go to bed. Then, the clock hits midnight, and I'm just staring at my ceiling, too tired to relax enough to fall asleep. When I finally do fall asleep, I wake up in five hours and do the same thing the next day. By the time friday rolls around, I've got a migraine (lack of sleep is a migraine trigger for me).

OMG this is too funny. While I can't blame a work schedule or school work, pretty much everything else you describe is what happens to me. I have slept a tad more this week than on previous weeks, but for the most part I only get about 5-6 hours of sleep per night (sometimes even less). I should go to bed earlier, but often that doesn't seem to help when I can't fall a sleep (the brain just doesn't want to shutdown). Maybe if the cat would stop meowing at 5-6 am every morning I might get an extra hour or two. But I seem to be on this thing where no matter how tired I am (unless I am physically exhausted), I just can't sleep more than 5-6 hours a night. :|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I hear you. I think part of my problem is I've been working out at night after work. I don't get home until 9:00ish, and then I have things to do at home. Sometimes I feel like I've got an endorphin rush going from the cardio, and if I did any strength training I'm beat but still restless. Plus there is job stress and life stress and the bottom line is I just don't seem to sleep well. It feels like just when I'm drifting off to a nice comfy sleep, its time to get up again!

One solution would be to do my cardio in the morning, but I'm not much of a morning person to begin with and if I didn't get a good night's sleep, dragging myself to the gym at 5:30 the next day is near impossible!

I've got some OTC sleep aids, but those work a little too well- I need to plan ahead and go to bed really early or I can't get up the next day. Sometimes I use those just to catch up on my sleep over the weekend. sigh....

Just adding this- I talked to a lady in my cardio class earlier this week. Her doctor has her on Ambien- one night last week she was sleep walking naked and making herself cocktails and drinking them! Her kids told her about it! My restless sleep doesn't sound all that bad in comparison!

Rub one out.

I'm serious, it works.

qft..

a quickie (self works but with a partner helps both sleep) is probably THE most effective sleep aid..

I still stand (sit ;)) by Meditation, particularly as I read more responses in this thread.. commit to practice daily for at least a month and see how it affects your ability to relax.

I know the late workouts are part of the problem, but for now, that's when I can fit them in. I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks even if my sleep is affected. I've had a gym membership for years now, but regularly using it is a relatively new thing for me! :$ Still, ideally I'd like to split my workouts- do cardio in the morning 3-4 times a week and strength train in the evenings.

xanax:D

That was going to be my answer! The only reason I can't fall asleep is on those nights that I just cant' turn my brain off. Xanax does that for me. But I don't use it very often. It comes in handy trying to sleep at boogies, though.

But seriously ... I've been getting a little less sleep overall lately, but feeling better, because I started dragging my ass out of bed early to work out. I end up with more energy for the day. I'm physically tired rather than emotionally and mentally exhausted. Makes my rest more ... restful.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I usually just have trouble sleeping the night before exams. Not due to nervousness but I just can't stop thinking about the material.

What helps me best is MEATONIN

You can buy it at every GNC nutrition store. It's FDA approved and does not need a prescription. Good thing about it is, its a naturally occuring substance in the body and nothing like a sleeping pill. Just take 3mg an hour before bedtime and your gonna sleep great.

Ok people drugs are not the answer to problems. I'm on of those people. Yup that is me.

Anyway. To each his own. The problem is not that I can't turn my brain off. I'm not trying to solve lifes problems while I'm trying to fall asleep. I think my brain is pretty much in the shut off mode, but I can't sleep.

It's really odd because when I sleep these days I'm out and usually within like 5-10 minutes of laying down.
So it's weird that when I'm worn the hell out my body is like la de da lets stay awake, it's fun. I can say that hmm 2 days after my problem I slept like the dead.
Skymama's #2 stalker -