redwings

Dirty Jobs

Not only is there a Dirty Jobs marathon, they're showing penguins!

Mike Rowe can make me go straight any day. :$

Discovery Channel is my best friend.
Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.

I think being a cop has to be a dirty job... They should make him do that for one night...

I should have video taped what went on at my house at 2 in the morning... How would you like to be the dispatcher that gets a call that starts off with someone saying, "Uh, yea, can you please dispatch an officer to (insert address here). There's a body of a girl laying in my yard. She's not moving, and I don't know her."

So, maybe I should turn the TV on and watch Discovery. It'll get my mind off of everything that happened. :|

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Yikes, that is scary. We just had a murder/suicide the other day. Guy stabbed his soon-to-be ex-wife to death and then killed himself while escaping the cops. She was found in her neighbor's yard around noon, not two hours after she was killed.

Yeah, Discovery Channel is good that way.
Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

Oooh there was a Shark Week special he did ... testing shark repellants and shark suits. Boy was I a happy camper.

Yeah, Discovery Channel is my best friend too. And Dirty Jobs is simply an awesome show.

There are a few factors here. First, the fact that some of these jobs, the average person wouldn't have known existed, or didn't think they were as dirty as they actually are. Second, Mike Rowe is nutty as squirrel turds. Third, who doesn't love seeing Dave Barsky hit in the face with slime?

Anyway, awesome show, I'm gearing up for the marathon on Monday.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Yikes, that is scary. We just had a murder/suicide the other day. Guy stabbed his soon-to-be ex-wife to death and then killed himself while escaping the cops. She was found in her neighbor's yard around noon, not two hours after she was killed.

Yeah, Discovery Channel is good that way.

The cops came back today to take pictures of the damage she did when she smacked into the truck parked in the driveway. He said she was just really drunk and seemed to think our yard was a good place to crash. She was arrested and bailed out about 8 hours after the arrest. Along with criminal mischief charges, she was a very drunk minor... Not my problem now, but it wasn't a fun thing to have to call in... Not knowing if she was dead or just passed out. B|

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

I can't even begin to imagine what that feels like. In my line of work, I've got too many horror stories to tell.

Second, Mike Rowe is nutty as squirrel turds.

He solidified that status long ago. The commercials with Pig? Priceless. Between that and Myth Busters, I'm not missing cable TV at all!:D

I got to meet Mike Rowe while he was here in Louisiana filming the segment about oil well drilling mud manufacturing at Francis Drilling Fluids. He was a class act. He left his meal to take pictures with our group, talked about the show, his background as an opera singer and about his work narrating the "Deadliest Catch" series. He seemed like a great guy. We were impressed with how he liked to engage the "locals" haha. Say what you will, he's good with the public.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

There's a body of a girl laying in my yard. She's not moving, and I don't know her

I'm sorry if I got this wrong, but if this happened to you why didn't you just check if she was OK? :S

The place where she was laying was fairly dark and it was 2 in the morning. For my own safety, I'm not going to approach anyone laying in my yard, in a non-lighted place at that early in the morning. I'd much rather have the police take care of it, in which they did.

I don't know the particulars of your case. But remember that it's really easy to save a life. Rolling someone who is vomiting on their side so their airway stays open until EMS arrives, doing CPR on a collapsed cardiac arrest victim, or just being a witness to make sure someone who has already had an awful night doesn't get any worse can be all it takes. Then you can spend the rest of your life knowing that you really made a difference for someone that night, instead of spending the rest of your life wondering if you could've been the one to make a difference.

The rate of survival in a cardiac arrest situation goes down by 10% for every minute post-arrest without CPR. The average police/fire/ems response time can be significant, especially when call volumes are high (i.e. at 2AM). The AHA is stressing the importance of rapid, uninterrupted CPR. CPR doesn't restart the heart, but it does maintain a baseline of oxygenation that really can save a life.

Elvisio "just a thought" Rodriguez

The feeling I get from her post was that, there was a girl in a dark part of her yard, she had no idea what happened to her or if it was a set up. Turn out it was just a drunk girl, but what if it was a set up and a guy was hiding in the shadows to attack her/rob her/ect. Oh and if it would have been a set up and she was attacked everyone here would be on her case for going outside and putting herself in a bad situation. :|

Unfortunately I lived in Houston long enough to prepare for the bad in every situation. If it would have happened at my house, I would have let Sherpa investigate the area 1st (if he is good for nothing else he is intimidating) then go and check on the person.

Fly it like you stole it!

The feeling I get from her post was that, there was a girl in a dark part of her yard, she had no idea what happened to her or if it was a set up. Turn out it was just a drunk girl, but what if it was a set up and a guy was hiding in the shadows to attack her/rob her/ect. Oh and if it would have been a set up and she was attacked everyone here would be on her case for going outside and putting herself in a bad situation. :|

That's the reason I didn't check on her. The police came in no time and brought the medics with them. If there hadn't been a notice on the door about three days earlier about houses and cars being broken in to, I might have gone to check on her, but I wasn't going to put myself in to a situation that I didn't feel safe doing. If she was close to the door or somewhere that I had a lighted visual of what was around me, things could have been different. But, what happened happened, and that's the end of the story.

But seriously, checking on a drunk girl is not what this thread was about. :P

Checking on drunk girls IS a dirty job. What if they barf on you while you're leaning close to check on them?

:D

I'll hold you to that. And I have everyone as witness!

I wonder ... what skydiving related job could we recommend to Dirty Jobs?