psipike02

Windows Vista vs. New iMAC

best analogy for Mac vs PC is Automatic vs Manual..

I presume you mean that the Mac is the manual. I have way more control shelled down to Unix BSD than I ever had at DOS.

And as for apps taking over the whole machine like they do with PC's, don't you wish you could have the joy of issuing a nice kill -9 xxxx ? ;)

not at all.. I dont use 'superman' Apps anyway.. I expect my machine to do exactly what I tell it when I tell it, not attempt to 'figure out' what I want...which is why I wont be loading Vista..

MACs are for people who generally dont want to know how/why something does what it does.. those actually playing with the Unix BSD on their macs are the minority...

even MAC's commercials play to the ignorant masses.. their basic premise is a Strawman Fallacy.

Apple stuff is pure hype. Their products have all the DRM and lockin of Windows(much more, actually) with none of the hardware and software support you'd get from an OS that dominates the planet(Windows).

That's interesting....I have never EVER had to have my OS contact the mother base to "activate" like XP needed to do to run. OS X doesnt need to do that...and never has. they don't need to be registered to receive updates like winblows. But its obviously apple that has much more DRM and lock in that winblows.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

A platform war is totally pointless. The PC vs. Mac debate has become obsolete. Ever since the introduction of the Intel Macs, you can run both operating systems at native speeds.

What’s the best reason to buy a mac? You no longer have to choose, since it can run either operating system.

If you buy a PC, you are stuck with Windows. I don’t think there is a mainstream method to installing OS X on a PC.

Get a Mac.

MACs are for people who generally dont want to know how/why something does what it does.. those actually playing with the Unix BSD on their macs are the minority...

I would say thats exactly the same with Windows. A tiny minority of people ever even get as far as the registry. Most people email, check the internet, the odd bit of word processing maybe, some are gamers, some are creative types. How many actually mess with the OS?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

That's interesting....I have never EVER had to have my OS contact the mother base to "activate" like XP needed to do to run. OS X doesnt need to do that...and never has. they don't need to be registered to receive updates like winblows. But its obviously apple that has much more DRM and lock in that winblows.

The hardware is locked so you need Boot Camp to run another OS, which you'll need to pay $29 for when it goes final. Every Mac I've setup has asked me for registration info when I've installed it, and annoyed me with "Wanna buy .mac?" ads. Mac OS X doesn't need to activate because you can't install it anywhere except on your specific type of Mac hardware. I've had to dig up 10.4.3 disks to reinstall a Macbook Pro because the 10.4.6 disks give me the "this version won't run on this hardware" errors.

The iPhone is another classic "you can do anything you want with our product, as long as it's what we want you do to" Apple-ism. And really aside from video editing, OS X doesn't do anything Linux does without having to fork over the $$$ or being locked into one company's vision. At least with Windows you can play games know that the printer you pick up at Best Buy will work when you plug it in.

But Apple does make really nice hardware and if you're okay with being locked in by them, they provide a really solid user experience.

Exactimundo.....you get the capability to do whatever the hell you want on a Mac....even install Linux using Parallels if you want.

Here's a blog post by a Microsoft employee that Fake Steve Jobs referenced this morning.

Murray

A platform war is totally pointless. The PC vs. Mac debate has become obsolete. Ever since the introduction of the Intel Macs, you can run both operating systems at native speeds.

What’s the best reason to buy a mac? You no longer have to choose, since it can run either operating system.

If you buy a PC, you are stuck with Windows. I don’t think there is a mainstream method to installing OS X on a PC.

Get a Mac.

The hardware is locked so you need Boot Camp to run another OS,

That's interesting because windows runs just fine on my computer NOT using bootcamp. I use parallels which allows me to not have to boot into one or the other. I've used Cider before that to run just windows programs without the need to install windows itself...but you knew that I'm sure.

As far as the registration issue...you do NOT have to register it for it to work just fine. BUT I'm thinking with your massive knowledge base on this subject would know that.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

That's interesting because windows runs just fine on my computer NOT using bootcamp. I use parallels which allows me to not have to boot into one or the other.

So you spend $80 instead of $29 to run Windows on Intel Mac hardware.

There's nothing wrong with Macs except there's just a lot of hype and fanboy-ism surrounding them and right now they're very trendy because of iPhone/iPod.

I still think most people are going to be happier on XP. I've been a Linux user since 1992, a Linux admin since 1997, and still recommend Windows for most people because it's the most compatible OS out there for hardware and software.

How many actually mess with the OS?

I do all the time. I tweak the hell out of it, Break it, fix it you name it.

The real issue here is 1. What are your needs? What do you plan to do with your machine?

If you have a budget with xxx amount of $$$ that you want to spend without digging deep go XP for now. If you you have an unlimited amount of $$$$ than go Mac. Its all suppy and demand.

Wow, well thanks everyone so far for their responses. More than likely my company is going to give me a laptop with XP on it, so i'll just use that for my windows needs.

I've been a PC user all my life and I just want something different, yeah its the most compatible, blah, blah, blah...but I've had more problems and having to install/un-install/fix registry/degrag the shit out of it and defending it from every virus every 10 seconds that its just old now...

I like the Mac and Windows Parallels idea. I may just wait for Mac's new OS to come out: Leopard. I checked it out on apple's site and it looks pretty solid and even comes with Bootcamp on it. It should be out in october so I can hold out...

Thanks guys....:)

Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

There's nothing wrong with Macs except there's just a lot of hype and fanboy-ism surrounding them and right now they're very trendy because of iPhone/iPod.

Well, there is some truth to that but I think the biggest reason is their design. They really are years ahead of PC’s as far as style and ergonomics. The current I-mac design is the perfect example.

Furthermore, the I-phone is only popular because of it’s large touch screen. It’s too big to be a practical cell phone, too small to make a good PDA and too light on storage capacity to make a good I-pod.

I bought a Mac because I need Final Cut Pro, not an I-phone.

I'd have to disagree with you Scott....I love the looks, fit and feel of my new iMac but I'd prefer to use the Mac OS even if it was installed in a Dell box.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Sounds like a good plan...and you'll save the cost of upgrading to Leopard. I'm sure you'll be happy with your Mac. Let us know how it goes..

Wow, well thanks everyone so far for their responses. More than likely my company is going to give me a laptop with XP on it, so i'll just use that for my windows needs.

I've been a PC user all my life and I just want something different, yeah its the most compatible, blah, blah, blah...but I've had more problems and having to install/un-install/fix registry/degrag the shit out of it and defending it from every virus every 10 seconds that its just old now...

I like the Mac and Windows Parallels idea. I may just wait for Mac's new OS to come out: Leopard. I checked it out on apple's site and it looks pretty solid and even comes with Bootcamp on it. It should be out in october so I can hold out...

Thanks guys....:)

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I would say thats exactly the same with Windows. A tiny minority of people ever even get as far as the registry. Most people email, check the internet, the odd bit of word processing maybe, some are gamers, some are creative types. How many actually mess with the OS?

well gamers specifically quite alot.. Competitive types know that they need every bit of performance out of their machines or they will often lose on that alone... Ive spent a good bit of time teaching my 'team' how to optimize their boxes; registry fixes, killing resource hogs, driver conflicts and optimization (the newest driver isnt always the most efficient for gaming needs) setting up RAM drives etc..

up until recently the Mac crowd was pretty much out in the cold

Maybe a better title should be OS-X vs. Vista.

My opinion - OS-X beats Vista hands down. No contest. If you are in a financial and application-agnostic position that you can choose between the two, get a Mac. OS-X also beats XP and Linux, and the Mac hardware is better than just about anything else out there (Sony Vaio comes close).

The one exception is if you do a lot of gaming. Then you should get XP (not Vista). Sure you can run XP from a Mac, but why boot into it all the time? If Windows is going to be your primary OS (for games or whatever), then just get a windows machine.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

The one exception is if you do a lot of gaming. Then you should get XP (not Vista). Sure you can run XP from a Mac, but why boot into it all the time? If Windows is going to be your primary OS (for games or whatever), then just get a windows machine.

flexibility and hardware. ('have it and not need it than...') the IMAC peeps get consistently higher framerates than most windows OS even using parrallels.. that is important enough for some..

but honestly its because I want to be able to use the hundreds of thousands of third party apps that will run in Windows..and occasionally edit video :)

The sad confession...I have too many computers. One of the three WinXP boxes is for PC games, one is for arcade games, and the last one is for my wife's layout and graphic design work. My PowerMac dual-G4 is for audio / graphic work, as is my G4PowerBook. I've got a Win98 box in a cocktail table and a Win2000 box in a stand-up arcade cabinet.

I make money with Macs, and play games with PCs.

At work I'm surrounded. A Mac-based render farm, Mac OS X design studio, Mac OS X high end graphic lab, 3 MacOS X-Servers, 2 Linux servers, my Linux workstation, my MacOS workstation, and the only group of "necessary" WinXP boxes is for the motion capture studio (due to the software we use for mocap).

And...in December we pick up 16+ new iMacs.

- David

[ some of the mocap work from a 2004 project can be seen at virtual vaudeville. ]

Get a Mac.

So I'll agree that the war is rather pointless.

But to your previous comment. Mac's are PC's now. They have been since they went to the x86 arch.