psipike02

Windows Vista vs. New iMAC

So I'm planning on getting a new computer. I have always had a PC and have no problem with XP and used to be an avid hater of MACs.....until I started using them at school when we got the two button mouse and now I like them ALOT.

I wanted to know if anyone has Vista currently and can reassure me that it sucks and is a waste of money (as I've heard from numerous people) or maybe that MACS suck. I am also happy with the fact that I can run parallels using my mac if I get one.

Looking for pro's or cons of either. And yes I've gone to the apple site but I wanted personal feedback too :)
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

my mac vs. vista experience was kinda funny. i was in a best buy and wanted to see the newer intel imacs (i have one of the risc models at home). i played with it for a bit, took a picture of myself with the built-in camera, added an effect with photo booth, all in about a minute without ever reading anything. went over and saw a new laptop with vista. i wanted to see what the new interface was like so i opened a couple of windows. solitaire and freecell. the damn thing locked up solid and wouldn't do anything.

which one would you buy? :D i have an xp laptop at home and i haven't had any major issues with it, but it's replacement will be a mac book pro. just waiting for leopard! B|

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

My laptop has vista and it was a bit of an adjustment compared to XP. I haven't even utilized most of the programs yet and I have had this laptop since March. If you get a computer with Vista you must have at least 1-2gig or it wont work right. I haven't noticed any real problems with the OS other than the damn boxes that appear and ask if you want to continue, you say yes and then another box appears and asks are you sure.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Vista sucks ass it is a resource hog when it is just sitting there doing nothing at all.

Mac OS is based on Unix now so it is vastly superior. It runs as well as unix, but you don't have to compile your kernal.

I used to hate the older macs, but the newer macs blow away PCs
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I am replying to you on a new 20" iMac that I have also installed Windows XP using Parallels. (I need Windows to run tax prep programs otherwise I use Mac for everything else) I've had this machine for 8 days and it is awesome!!

The ex-editor of PC Magazine, Jim Louderback, just quit and lambasted Vista in his final editorial Here's a quote: "Why, nine months after launch, am I so frustrated? The litany of what doesn't work and what still frustrates me stretches on endlessly."

I think you will really like one of the new iMacs if you are looking for a desktop machine and there are several ways to run Windows programs on it if you need to...Boot Camp, Parallels, Fusion, and a couple of others I can't remember right now.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Apple stuff is pure hype. Their products have all the DRM and lockin of Windows(much more, actually) with none of the hardware and software support you'd get from an OS that dominates the planet(Windows).

We use Macbook Pro's at work and the best thing I did was install Linux on it and that was after using it for 8 months, so it's not like I didn't give it a chance.

If you're not sure about Vista, just get a PC with XP on it. You can always upgrade to Vista later on.

Apple stuff is pure hype.

Really? Tell that to the three dead pc towers and dead pc laptop I still have in my attic. I've had my macbook pro for 18 months now and my wife has had her macbook for a little over a year. Both still run strong, like they did out of the box...the pc's lasted maybe a year before they died, despite being "protected" with anti-virus/spyware.

I'll take the hype, thanks.;)
Miami

I've owned a MAC since the early 80's. My first one was a 512K with no hard drive. I understand the operating system therefore I prefer MAC's over Windows. I use a Windows machine at work. I just bought a 20" Intel IMAC and installed Bootcamp so I could run Windows. There is a program that I use at home that does not come in a MAC version. Now I have one computer that runs both MacOS and XP. I was told at the Apple store to stay away from Vista. I bought XP and have not had any issues.

There is one benefit of a MAC. At the moment there is no virus or spyware of any significance out there for the Intel Macs. I just ran a freeware virus program that is highly recommended on the MAC sites, and the hard disk was completely clean. That was after using it for a couple of weeks with no firewall or any protection. I now have the firewall and virus software installed, and both were free.

Apple stuff is pure hype. Their products have all the DRM and lockin of Windows(much more, actually) with none of the hardware and software support you'd get from an OS that dominates the planet(Windows).

We use Macbook Pro's at work and the best thing I did was install Linux on it and that was after using it for 8 months, so it's not like I didn't give it a chance.

If you're not sure about Vista, just get a PC with XP on it. You can always upgrade to Vista later on.

Rubbish. I never agreed with mac users till i actually tried one. Mine has been running for 8 months now - not a single problem. Sure PC's are better for some things and vice versa, but as an everyday machine for an average user, Mac every time.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Pros and Cons to both planforms. Dont run out to get Vista just yet because the GUI looks all Cool and shit. Wait for now it still has issues to be worked out of it. Besides XP should be out with service pack 3 near the end of the year.
Well if you just have to have a Mac no problem you may have to dig a little deeper in the ole pocket and remember not as many software games support etc. Well, you can run in emulation but still. Both planforms are good but Vista needs more Time thats all.

Word of advice keep you temp files cleaned out, defrag the bitch every so often, run up to date virus and spyware protection. Your computer is like your car keep it performing good by just maintaining it. Peace out
B|

If you are really going through a thought process like that you should go for MOS(Mac OS).

If there is any competition between win and mac, i'd suggest comparing against windows XP. Vista is a pile of junk. It's so freeking slow, and requires a $500 video card to be usable.

I personally like Linux, particularly Ubuntu. But it's not for the faint hearted.

I love reading the Mac vs. PC threads...

It makes me want to take my hat off to Mr. Gates, because never in history has a product been so loathed, yet so successful. So weird!! ;)

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Had and/or worked with PC's as a programmer on and off for 21 years. Had a G4 iMac fror the last three.

I'll never willingly use a PC again. If it's PC apps you can't live without, run Virtual PC on the Mac with a partition. SLowly but surely, you'll enter the PC partition less and less until one day you delete it.

Pros and Cons to both planforms. Dont run out to get Vista just yet because the GUI looks all Cool and shit. Wait for now it still has issues to be worked out of it. Besides XP should be out with service pack 3 near the end of the year.
Well if you just have to have a Mac no problem you may have to dig a little deeper in the ole pocket and remember not as many software games support etc. Well, you can run in emulation but still. Both planforms are good but Vista needs more Time thats all.

Word of advice keep you temp files cleaned out, defrag the bitch every so often, run up to date virus and spyware protection. Your computer is like your car keep it performing good by just maintaining it. Peace out
B|

Sorry, but this post is the best argument for a Mac I've heard yet. ;)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Had and/or worked with PC's as a programmer on and off for 21 years. Had a G4 iMac fror the last three.

I'll never willingly use a PC again. If it's PC apps you can't live without, run Virtual PC on the Mac with a partition. SLowly but surely, you'll enter the PC partition less and less until one day you delete it.

I have a PC at work. Got an iMac at home a year ago. If I could convince my IT department to let me have a Mac at work, I wouldn't have to deal with my PC anymore (and all the crap associated with it!). And I would be quite happy.

All I need to run on my iMac (for work purposes) is on my iMac. No Virtual PC needed.

If only ...
'Shell

best analogy for Mac vs PC is Automatic vs Manual..

you dont HAVE to have that level of control, but many of us prefer it.

Vista.. it is Windows ME version 2... wont load it on any of my machines for at least a year...

you dont HAVE to have that level of control, but many of us prefer it.

I also traded in my 5-speed SUV for a manual transmission SUV.

Works better in stop and go traffic. And it has more cargo space.

:P:P
'Shell

I presume you mean that the Mac is the manual. I have way more control shelled down to Unix BSD than I ever had at DOS.

And as for apps taking over the whole machine like they do with PC's, don't you wish you could have the joy of issuing a nice kill -9 xxxx ? ;)