e.a.hernandez

Landing off the dropzone

Just had my first landing off the DZ today on my 26th jump. Landed next to three horses in a small area surrounded by fences and trees. The landing was hard but not that bad. I am glad I did not break any bone or something worst. I am glad I was flying a Nav 200 sqt. Will make sure I down size slowly, get to know my conopy limits, and most important be able to use it on extreme situations. All that talk on AFF about landing off the dropzone paid off.

I'm glad it worked out well. Horses can be spooked by people approaching from the sky...it's new to them, and they could be (have been) injured running from the perceived danger. When I need to land in a horse field I try to make noise to attract their attention when I'm pretty high up so they can figure out what's going on long in advance, then I try to land as far from them as I can, without putting myself at risk.

When I was S&TA at The Ranch we did an accident survey and discovered that a disproportionate number of our injuries were from off-field landings. We spent some effort on remedial training, and it made a difference in our accident statistics the next season. I wrote a feature on the S&TA area of our web site that addressed some of the causes, risks, and strategies for dealing with off field landings. It's still available at http://theblueskyranch.com/STA.php, and is listed as "Article 16, Survival Strategies, Off Field Landings."
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Just had my first landing off the DZ today on my 26th jump. Landed next to three horses in a small area surrounded by fences and trees. The landing was hard but not that bad. I am glad I did not break any bone or something worst. I am glad I was flying a Nav 200 sqt. Will make sure I down size slowly, get to know my conopy limits, and most important be able to use it on extreme situations. All that talk on AFF about landing off the dropzone paid off.

Just wanted to point something out, landing off does not have to be a hard landing. Don't think that just because you must land off, that the landing will be terrible. You still have a flare, its the same landing youve done 25 times before, just not on the DZ. Recon up high, conduct a landing pattern if possible, and land into the wind like always. Of course there are circumstances where a hard landing cannot be avoided, but most of the time, you can pull off a smooth landing. Otherwise congrats, it'll happen again ;)

-Evo
Zoo Crew

One thing to look out for when landing off the invisible POWER LINES that are close. Look for the curvy contours and be cautious of the lines that can snag. Tree limbs can also reach out and grab a canopy.

Yea... I got bit in the ass once by that in Sebastian. Landed on the dirty side of the airport in the only front yard that was decent enough and the guy must have had cable installed or something because all of the sudden there were other lines that weren't there when I had been to that spot before. Didn't see them till last second. Flat turned and took a tree instead of the lines on a new canopy. Definitely a lesson learned! Powerlines and those wire fences will get you if you're not heads up.

edited to add-- I wasn't exactly in the tree, rather like what you mentioned above where the edge of the limbs just snagged me enough to drop my canopy out of flight. Still ended up with a hand fracture and hasty scar and still no bueno.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

:D
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

One thing to look out for when landing off the invisible POWER LINES that are close...

I hate those invisible power lines. They're the worst, especially when they're close. I don't mind so much when they're far away.

Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

...Will make sure I down size slowly, get to know my conopy limits, and most important be able to use it on extreme situations...

Congratulations on your safe landing. Now you may have a bit of understanding as to how adsurd it sounds when some low-timer, who has never landed outside the fence of his huge airport, says he knows everything about landings and is ready to downsize to a ridiculous crotch-rocket. Many, many things can go bad in an off-DZ landing. Treating it lightly can easily get you hurt or killed.

Landing off should be treated as a jump into "enemy territory". Your awareness should switch to "High" and your brain should go into overdrive. Sure, it may turn out to be no big deal and a great jump story to laugh about. But, if things go bad, they will do so in the blink of an eye and if you're not already expecting them, you will be behind the timeline of unfolding events. People frequently use the expression, "Shit Happens", to cover events that they are too lazy or complacent to forsee and avoid.

I've been in many off-airport landings, some with better outcomes than others. When I was new, I didn't listen to much advise and had to learn from my mistakes. I wouldn't expect any Noobies reading this to be any different. Some will survive, some won't. If you're smart, you'll figure it out and live longer. But that's pretty much true of all of skydiving, isn't it?;)

Kevin Keenan

fucking lines ARE invisible until the point of no return.. :S

with cowfences, usually if you're about to hit them, you may still have some range left to flare a little harder, and pulling your legs in will help you get over it..

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Look for the trees without any branches or leaves. Those are a pretty good indicator of where the invisible power lines are. ;)

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Look for the trees without any branches or leaves. Those are a pretty good indicator of where the invisible power lines are. ;)

Yup...

And keep in mind they usually run parallel to a road, exception being the junction to the house in which case it's usually the shortest distance from the road to the house.

No it's not a hard rule but more of a rule of thumb, which can help you out if deciding between a front or back yard. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

No it's not a hard rule but more of a rule of thumb, which can help you out if deciding between a front or back yard. ;)

Another good "rule of thumb" is to avoid any straight lines. Roads, the borders between fields, any "edge" at all.

That's where they hide fences, powerlines, ditches and other not so nice terrain features.

I was taught (and have done so) to pick the center of an open, empty field. Although I had to walk a few hundred yards to the edge of the field and the road, there was a fence and powerlines, and a drainage ditch right next to the road.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Another good "rule of thumb" is to avoid any straight lines. Roads, the borders between fields, any "edge" at all.

That's where they hide fences, powerlines, ditches and other not so nice terrain features.

Tree lines. In some places they love to conceal utility poles/lines along tree lines.

> Tree limbs can also reach out and grab a canopy.

Agreed. It is MUCH better to land in the center of a tree than just clip the corner. Both will collapse your canopy; when that happens it's better to be a few feet above a branch than 40 feet above the ground.

I was also taught to avoid straight lines. On one of my out landings when I was a student I was very concerned about this. The field I chose had *something* running through it - couldn't tell what. I avoided it like the plague. Once I landed safely another jumper who had landed in the same field came over to tell me that next time, if I didn't want to deal with chest high grass, I could have gone for the nice mowed area. Yep, the very straight line I had purposely avoided!:D

I still think I made the right decision. :P

Recon up high, conduct a landing pattern if possible, and land into the wind like always.

During an off-landing, there is a good chance that
there will be no handy windsock to tell you the wind direction.

Part of learning accuracy is to determine your ground
speed relative to objects. People should learn to tell
wind direction at a higher altitude by object movement.

... Once I landed safely another jumper who had landed in the same field came over to tell me that next time, if I didn't want to deal with chest high grass, I could have gone for the nice mowed area. Yep, the very straight line I had purposely avoided!:D

I still think I made the right decision. :P

From 100 feet up, could you tell what it was?

I'm not sure I would be able to.

Surprises at 25' are rarely a good thing.
Agreed that it was the right decision.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Recon up high, conduct a landing pattern if possible, and land into the wind like always.

During an off-landing, there is a good chance that
there will be no handy windsock to tell you the wind direction.

Part of learning accuracy is to determine your ground
speed relative to objects. People should learn to tell
wind direction at a higher altitude by object movement.

...another reason to orient yourself regarding the wind direction prior to every jump, if you can't tell yet under canopy which way to face...try remembering where the sun should be at landing time.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

...another reason to orient yourself regarding the wind direction prior to every jump, if you can't tell yet under canopy which way to face...try remembering where the sun should be at landing time.

I did that before takeoff on a demo 2 weeks ago.

I suspected that there might be no type of wind indication.
It worked out though, there was no wind. :D

The cars were moved from the parking lot into the
primary landing area.
The "out" had been plowed up that week.
The remaining alternative turned out to have hay
bales in it. A parachute slalom course. :)
Obstacles are an important consideration for off-dz
landings. Trees, cows, fences (barbed-wire...), uneven terrain (surprise ditches).