swedishcelt

cats and orange antibiotic drops

So poor little Wesa was sick. My little tigger cat who is all about running laps and playing only just became lethargic and snuggly (normally he's way too busy for a cuddle when he could be climbing and jumping on things). I took him to the vet and they said he had a cold which seemed to be turning into a sinus infection and he had a 105 degree F fever. They give me drops cause he won't swallow a pill, trust me, I tried and have the scar to prove it... the antibiotic drops are orange.

Orange for a cat??? Why not gravy or tuna or something? He looked at me everytime like, oh shit Ma, orange??? WTH are you trying to do to me?? I am a freaking cat and all, did you and the vet. miss that?

It's sad when an animal licks his behind to IMPROVE the flavor in his mouth in his opinion. B|

It's sad when an animal licks his behind to IMPROVE the flavor in his mouth in his opinion. B|

It's sad when people do it too:ph34r::ph34r:

My cats need 2 people to give them pills, even then i get scratched:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My steps to giving cat liquid drops:

This requires two people.

1. Sneak up behind cat with very sturdy towel.
2. Ambush cat. Drop towel over cat, and wrap cat up like a baby. Cat will struggle at this point.
3. Wrestle with cat and rearrange towel so that the only part of cat visible above the towel is the head. Cat will not be pleased.
4. Person 1 gets a firm grip on towel with one hand. Scruff cat with the other hand. Cat will stop struggling.
5. Person 2 fills syringe with cat-drops. Gently pry open jaw and shove syringe as far back into throat as possible, and squirt. Fast. Cat will swallow or choke. There is about a 50/50 chance for swallowing or choking. If cat chokes, go back to step 1 and repeat.

2. Ambush cat. Drop towel over cat, and wrap cat up like a baby. Cat will struggle at this point.
3. Wrestle with cat and rearrange towel so that the only part of cat visible above the towel is the head. Cat will not be pleased.
4. Person 1 gets a firm grip on towel with one hand. Scruff cat with the other hand. Cat will stop struggling.
5. Person 2 fills syringe with cat-drops. Gently pry open jaw and shove syringe as far back into throat as possible, and squirt. Fast. Cat will swallow or choke. There is about a 50/50 chance for swallowing or choking. If cat chokes, go back to step 1 and repeat.

I see you've medicated MY cat before! :D:D
TPM Sister #102

One correction to the above, you should put the syringe on the side of the mouth as far back along the teeth as possible and gently squirt it to allow the cat to swallow it and not inhale it. You do not want them to get aspiration pneumonia.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I had a cat on daily heart medicine for years and I tried everything. He only needed 1/4 of a tiny pill to begin with, but as hard as that was to give hime twice a day, I think using the liquid and the small syringe is even harder. And orange flavored??? I feel your pain!

And for those of you suggesting hiding a pill in cheese or some other food, this is a cat, not a dog! They are not as easily fooled- my cat probably tricked me way more times than I got him! If I left the pill piece whole and put it in something he liked, he had no problems eating around it- bowl empty except for the medicine! If I crushed it in his food, he caught on quick and wouldn't eat it all, leaving me wondering if he got enough, and nervous that one of my other cats would get it by mistake. I finally resorted to straddling him from behind (practically sitting on him), prying his mouth open, shoving the pill in his mouth and massaging his throat until he swallowed. But even then, when I was positive we had been successful, there were plenty of times when I would find a dried up piece of pill in the corner somewhere an hour or a even a day later.......:S Most of the time, he still got his medicine though! Medicating cats is an artform!

Is that a procedure or a new Eastern European sport?
I got nuthin

I have been chasing Wesa every day now for 10 days to hold him down wrapped in a towel, force his little mouth open and pour the antibiotic drops into his mouth. I have been going through this ordeal once a day and it's a 12 day medicine. I finally just got sick of fighting the little guy the last two days and I figured he was okay by now so I just said, "Screw it." I put the drops on a little saucer and said, "If you want it you'll drink it." And he walked over to it and lapped it up. This whole time I've been torturing my kitten for no reason and he would have just drank it on his own. When he was done he looked at me for more. B|

Sometimes humans are so stupid. I never thought to just... well... offer it to him. Poor Wesa. His Kitty-Momma just isn't too bright sometimes. How do they survive us? :$