Sockpuppet

Is drinking too much water bad for you?

So as part of a new health kick I've dropped all the carbonated drinks, coffee etc and now drink only water.

At work I can sink 5 litres a day as I find gently sipping water is easier than feeling the need to snack on crud all day.

Other than making me need to pee a lot is this going to be bad for me in the long run? Worried it may be affecting my kidneys having to process a lot of water.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Sipping it? Not going to be a problem. However, if you chug a gallon or more in a very short time, you can kill yourself.

Sipping vs. chugging is the important distinction. If you're just working on it all day long, 5 liters sould be OK.

Chugging that much, or a bunch more however, COULD cause extreme hyponatremia, also called "water intoxication". The sudden drop in the relative sodium and protein content in your bloodstream allows fluid to leak from your vessels into the intercellular spaces, causing (among other issues) brain swelling. There was a contest at a radio station one time where contestants raced to see who could drink two gallons of water the fastest. Some doctor or nurse even called in during the contest to tell them it was unsafe, but the radio employees thought it was a joke so they didn't pay attention. Sure enough, the winner died. Water intoxication is actually more common in babies, when new parents who just don't know any better keep shoving insane amounts of water into their newborn. A baby has such a small blood volume that it's easier to put them over the edge. Adults really have to try hard to die this way.

But 5 liters/one gallon over the course of the day should be OK. Just make sure your boss doesn't think you're slackin' off with too many potty breaks!

Elvisio "fluid/electrolyte balance is important" Rodriguez

Depend on amounts, you drink water in short time. If you drink water fast in few moments, if you plan to jog, and you can easy water vomits due breathe and stomach pressure. It happened to me, I learned my lesson to not drink 10 glasses of water under 30 minutes before jog.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

Depend on amounts, you drink water in short time. If you drink water fast in few moments, if you plan to jog, and you can easy water vomits due breathe and stomach pressure. It happened to me, I learned my lesson to not drink 10 glasses of water under 30 minutes before jog.

i also was drinking loads of water (0,4-0,5 gallon) liter before i start running...but it didn`t caused me any problem ...i was also wearing a camelback with 0,5 gallon of water..and after i finished my 1,5-2hours running the camelback was empty...i have done this for year`s maybe it`s not healthy?B|

Is drinking too little beer bad for you?

Think of all those assholes in the Middle East who blow themselves & other people up. And they do it for a religion that forbids alcohol.

Coincidence? I Think nOt!

if you've ever been to a Beer Garden you see a bunch of happy, jolly people. Not people who would ever strap a bomb to their chest.

something to think about. some beer is good for you.:D

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

As stated, beware of water intoxication.

I believe that you can safely drink a maximum (for an adult) 10 liters of water a day.

I usually drink an average of anywhere from 4 to 8 liters of water a day.

I do notice that I consume a lot of very salty foods, due to the high consumption of water.

I finish 2 liters of water within the first 2 hours of waking up. The rest is just bonus.

You know that, if overdrink of water. It can drown you. It's like drown oxygen in your body.

Excessive consumption of water can lead to a condition known as, Hyponatremia, which means “water intoxication".

Drinking too much water can flush out the essential nutrients and minerals and if you are drinking mineral water to excess, it can lead to high levels of calcium, magnesium or other minerals that is in the water. Some of these minerals are needed, but not in excess quantities.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

Sipping it? Not going to be a problem. However, if you chug a gallon or more in a very short time, you can kill yourself.

Sipping vs. chugging is the important distinction. If you're just working on it all day long, 5 liters sould be OK.

Chugging that much, or a bunch more however, COULD cause extreme hyponatremia, also called "water intoxication". The sudden drop in the relative sodium and protein content in your bloodstream allows fluid to leak from your vessels into the intercellular spaces, causing (among other issues) brain swelling. There was a contest at a radio station one time where contestants raced to see who could drink two gallons of water the fastest. Some doctor or nurse even called in during the contest to tell them it was unsafe, but the radio employees thought it was a joke so they didn't pay attention. Sure enough, the winner died. Water intoxication is actually more common in babies, when new parents who just don't know any better keep shoving insane amounts of water into their newborn. A baby has such a small blood volume that it's easier to put them over the edge. Adults really have to try hard to die this way.

But 5 liters/one gallon over the course of the day should be OK. Just make sure your boss doesn't think you're slackin' off with too many potty breaks!

Elvisio "fluid/electrolyte balance is important" Rodriguez

I remember when that was in the news and I was surprised.
There was a kid in Basic training for the Air force who OVERHYDRATED and died back in 1999 or 2000.
it was all over the news for a while. I thought it was common knowledge at this point.
My photos

My Videos