alexey

"Bartack" by zigzag machine - any tricks

If you are in the field, and have no access to bartack machine - what will you do to recieve good quality (And good looking) seam on lines, esp thin lines (vectran....)?

P.S. Please, dont tell me to buy bartacker, as I allready have one...
Lexa

Although the ppm states don't try to simulate a bartack by using a zigzag machine.
(don't know exactly where and don't have it here right now)
I think the best result would be obtained by first stitch straight forward and back and then zigzag over that.

Use of a pressure foot with a half round cutout in sewing direction preferred.

Greetings, John J.

Although the ppm states don't try to simulate a bartack by using a zigzag machine.

I believe that he meant do not go back and forth with a straight stitch.

I do it all the time with good results.

As JohnJ said, start with a 1" straight stitch and then go back over it with a zig-zag. Make sure the # of stitches/inch is about 42 on the zig-zag and watch for the width.
Memento Audere Semper

why not just start at one end, go up & back & end at the same spot?

Different manufacturers of machines have their own ways of accomplishing the same result, it's the same in most businesses. No technical reason really just a different way of "skinning the same cat".

Mick.

The bartack can be specific to the application.

If the bartack start/stop is at one end, and will be loaded from a particular side, the start and stop needs to be on the side away from the load so you cannot "peel" the stitching apart.

If the start and stop is located at the center of the bartack, pulling on either end of the bartack will not peel the stitching apart.

Look at the way the load will be taken, and place the start/stop accordingly.

For example, if you're trying to prevent two layers of fabric from peeling apart (a pocket?), put the start/stop on the end away from the junction of the two pieces. When you try to peel the layers apart, the start and stop point should be most distant from where the peel is occurring.

You can do a very nice "bartack" with a zigzag.

Does that make sense?

Another good trick that secures both ends and works well.

Sew the first pass. Pick up the foot and carefully move the material back to the beginning of the stitch pattern. Put the foot back down and sew right back over the top.

Don't cut the thread from the first pass, it will lie right under the zig zag pattern and secure the end of the first pass. and beginning of the second.

It's a common stitch pattern that can be made anything length.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto