Cashmanimal

Red Bull Air Race

My roommate and I were thinking about driving down from the bay area to San Diego to watch the race in a few weeks. I think they look really sick. I love watching them on TV.

Anybody seen one in person? Is it gonna be worth the hassle for a college student to drive down and watch the races? I have a few friends at Occidental I could stay with.... bit far away, but still, I wanna see it. I wanted to catch it in SF.... but, not for a while I guess.

So anyway, anybody seen 'em, think they are a worthy cause?
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

You should go! I work for one of the pilots in the Red Bull Air Race and have been to several of the races this year....no doubt about it is absolutely amazing! To buy tickets visit www.redbullairrace.com. It is so worth it!!!!!!

yeah, that raises the next question.... do I really need to buy tickets? I mean... can you charge to watch the planes fly, or what do I gain by buying a ticket? I just planned on sitting on a pier or something....
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Gee, talk about serving your corporate masters . . .

I can't recommend anything having to do with "Red Bullshit" but if you do go then root for Mike Mangold.

Mike's a very accomplished skydiver (and all around good guy) and comes to these "races" from the world of legitimate airplane aerobatics. For years he flew his practice routines over Perris and it was a joy to watch.

Red Bullshit pretends to promote, but only "uses" people (skydivers, B.A.S.E. jumpers, etc.) to sell their slop to teenagers . . .

And now they are revisiting the old trick of lowering the altitude (making it artificially more dangerous than it needs to be) so the rubes have to buy a ticket in order to see better. That gag was invented by parachute barnstormers of the 1920s who'd open so low someone off the airport couldn’t see anything . . .

And watch, I'll bet as soon as the crowds start to thin over time, they'll widen the gates a bit and put two aircraft on the course at the same time. I just hope Mike is out of it by then.

NickD :)BASE 194

Red Bullshit pretends to promote, but only "uses" people (skydivers, B.A.S.E. jumpers, etc.) to sell their slop to teenagers . . .

What the fuck is that?

PD pretends to promote, but only "uses" people (Airspeed, PD swoop team, etc.) to sell their stuff to newbies . . .

You don't have to. But tickets are $20 and that lets you watch the race from a really good view point. The race in not nearly as impressive if you are way the hell away. Expect lot's and lot's of people. Hundreds of thousands of people go to watch the air races, in some countries the total number of spectators is over 1 million. I'm sure it may be possible to find a good spot to watch without paying $20 but it may come with a whole lot of hassle. Believe me spring for the $20...it's worth it!
In response to the anti Red Bull guy. From my inside perspective Red Bull does a excellent job supporting extreme sports and treats there athletes very very well....believe me they are not being "used" they are living the life.....getting paid to do what they love.

details?........

I am a bit out of the aviation scene it seems. I don't really stand in any position to say what a "real" air race is. All I know is I like to watch small planes haul ass through a neat course, whether it be 10 feet off the ground or a 10,000. Although I prefer 10 so I could see it. Th RBAR meets MY criteria for some cool shit to watch.... but if there is something as close as Reno, and it is "better"..... that could be an option as well.

Details....

The Reno Air Races are held every year in September at Stead airport. (they're going on as we speak, or type) There are different classes of aircraft ranging from small Formula 1 air racers, bi-planes, T-6's, Jets, Sport racers, and Unlimiteds.

The unlimiteds are mostly WW2 vintage piston-powered airplanes (P-51 Mustangs, Sea Furies, Bearcats, etc.), some of which have been modified to reach speeds approaching 500 mph.............50 to 100 feet off the deck.

The sport class is catching up quickly though, they're kit-built airplanes (Lancair, NXT, Rocket, etc.) that are highly modified and tweaked and are now approaching the 400 mph mark.

It isn't single-ship aerobatics through a closed course, it is side by side air racing down on the deck on a closed course. Close enough you can see it and FEEL it!

See the RARA website for more details.

http://www.airrace.org/indexJS.php

I hope that helps.

They had Red Bull races on tv yesterday that were in Utah recently. Loved it. Flying fast in the valley against nothing but hard ass rock!

Only detractor for me was each time a plane would be diving in to start the course, they would "add in" audio similiar to an WWII fighter plane diving.

Who were they trying to fool?

Otherwise, Red Bull pilots are awesome.

I can't recommend anything having to do with "Red Bullshit" but if you do go then root for Mike Mangold.

Mike's a very accomplished skydiver (and all around good guy) and comes to these "races" from the world of legitimate airplane aerobatics. For years he flew his practice routines over Perris and it was a joy to watch.

And now they are revisiting the old trick of lowering the altitude (making it artificially more dangerous than it needs to be) so the rubes have to buy a ticket in order to see better. That gag was invented by parachute barnstormers of the 1920s who'd open so low someone off the airport couldn’t see anything . . .

And watch, I'll bet as soon as the crowds start to thin over time, they'll widen the gates a bit and put two aircraft on the course at the same time. I just hope Mike is out of it by then.

lol, someone's bitter. Guess what dude, all corporate sponsorship is in the effort to sell their "slop". Get over it.

|>.Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

>>lol, someone's bitter. Guess what dude, all corporate sponsorship is in the effort to sell their "slop". Get over it.
I'm not bitter. My perspective is just a lot different than yours.

Before there was any "sponsorship" in anything outside the mainstream sports a company called "No Fear" showed up at an early Bridge Day. This was before the term "extreme" was coined to separate kids from their dollars. They set up a large booth at our little B.A.S.E. gear trade show hawking their t-shirts and whatnot. The booth is manned by folks who answer those ads for "Outside sales! Young energetic people needed for fun and travel!"

They sat there amidst all the shirts proclaiming "No Fear" but when I asked if they be jumping from the Bridge it was, "Oh no, are you kidding, not us, no way!" But that wasn't the point. There presence was a sore thumb like a Starbucks sprouting up in the middle of a hippy enclave. B.A.S.E. jumping had gotten to where it was with no help from anyone, thank you.

We had it out with the then Bridge Day organizer over "No Fear" being there and the next year they were gone and soon after so was the organizer.

I've got no heartburn with PD playing the sponsorship game because they are part of the community. I don’t mind "Go Fast" doing the same as one of the people that started that company is a jumper and a friend of mine. What I don't like is outside corporations who don't really give a flying shit about our sport except for the dollar signs it represents. They are trading on our accomplishments, our injuries, and our fatalities because it garners them publicity.

So yes, my perspective is just a lot different than yours . . .

If it weren't for those companies who "don't really give a flying shit about our sport except for the dollar signs it represents" there are many sports that would still be operating in the dark ages. The money these corps bring in allow advances in technology and safety that would not be possible without them. Auto racing is a good example. Before the days of huge corporate sponsorships the drivers lives most often depended upon whatever local rescue crews could be rounded up by the sanctioning body. Almost without exception these crews had no idea what they were doing when it came to the trauma associated with high speed racing injuries and many died because of it. If you want further details read the book "Rapid Response" by Dr. Stephen Olvey.

If it weren't for those companies who "don't really give a flying shit about our sport except for the dollar signs it represents" there are many sports that would still be operating in the dark ages. The money these corps bring in allow advances in technology and safety that would not be possible without them. Auto racing is a good example. Before the days of huge corporate sponsorships the drivers lives most often depended upon whatever local rescue crews could be rounded up by the sanctioning body. Almost without exception these crews had no idea what they were doing when it came to the trauma associated with high speed racing injuries and many died because of it. If you want further details read the book "Rapid Response" by Dr. Stephen Olvey.

Very good point, see it goes both ways, the sport pumps money into the corporation, which in turn pumps money into the sport in order to protect their investment. Does it really matter what the CEO actually thinks of the sport? Nah.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?