psipike02

TV Mounting

Does anyone either personally or know anyone that has successfully mounted a tv over their fireplace??

Being 3 months into the real world, i'm starting to get ideas for what I want to do with my apartment down the road.

My fireplace is central in my living room and if I want to get a flat-screen tv for it, the most obvious place for it would be over the fireplace.

I've done the measurements and everything and one will fit there, but what do I need to know about the process? It's a gas fireplace, so is escaping heat an issue behind the wall?

Any advice is appreciated.. :)
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

I've got experience in this department and my thoughts are find out if you have actual studs behind the wall before you make a decision.

My gas fireplace did not have studs behind it, and thus no mounting over fireplace for me. It all worked out on another wall anyway. There is this little thing called a firebox behind your wall that can make things very very difficult.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I've got experience in this department and my thoughts are find out if you have actual studs behind the wall before you make a decision.

My gas fireplace did not have studs behind it, and thus no mounting over fireplace for me. It all worked out on another wall anyway. There is this little thing called a firebox behind your wall that can make things very very difficult.

Thats when you break out power tools and put studs !!!!

When I did one for a friend cut our a section of drywall I put 3 cross studs riped down by 3/4" this I put 3/4" 15" 1/2 X 36" plywood then patched the drywall cutout. This alowed a good solid surface overall and also alowed some flexability of movment up down left or right to get things placed exactly where he wanted it and not have to worry about finding a stud. While we were at it we put a recesed Plug and A/V conectors in the wall. Looks very clean

The we put a small mantle to direct the heat out and past the TV instead of straight up the wall thing have been good for over two years.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

You all have made it so I think dirty thoughts every time I see the word, "mounting" in this thread. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

Carry on. :P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Wouldn't the tv get nasty from the smoke in the fireplace?

Ya I forgot to mention that part not good with a wood fire place lol (and yes I've seen some one do that and yes it looked nasty disclored ofter anly a few weeks in the winter)

Check with management before you launch into this project. They may have some guidelines for you to follow because I'm sure it has come up before. That way, you don't get into trouble for it later, either!

Easier to ask for forgivnes then ask for permision:) you do it right no one will see the changes unless you want to put in the ressed part but the rest is compleatly doable. and really dosnt take much more then a dry wall knife and had saw (The ply wood you could get cut at HD0 and three coats of drywall compound and paint. If you use the sheetrock 20 (Drywall compound that sets in 20 mins and very easy to sand) you can finish it all in a day.

LOL--maybe, but you could also end up paying a lot of money for your forgiveness.

stalk stalk.

Guess who has tickets to the Av's game when they come to town?????

I have one more thing to add to the actual topic. How high is the fireplace. I have a friend who did this in his apartment and the tv is wayyyyyyy to high. If you are going to be say 8 to 10 feet back it really should not be but a few feet above sit down eye level, that is middle of screen I believe.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

LOL--maybe, but you could also end up paying a lot of money for your forgiveness.

stalk stalk.

I have one more thing to add to the actual topic. How high is the fireplace. I have a friend who did this in his apartment and the tv is wayyyyyyy to high. If you are going to be say 8 to 10 feet back it really should not be but a few feet above sit down eye level, that is middle of screen I believe.

Well, its a regular standard gas fireplace. I haven't measured the fire place, but from the mantle to the ceiling is about 53"

If I couldn't mount it to the fire place, I could place it to the left or right of the fireplace, but it's off center and that would bug the hell out of me.

Also I thought about just going the entertainment center route, but there's no where to put it.

My living/dining room is a square/rectangle if you will, with the fire place in the center and a big window at the right end of the room.

I didn't want to put the tv on the opposite wall because then the couch won't be facing the fireplace.
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

stalk stalk.

PLEASE tell me that's the game in March! It's looking more and more like I'll be required to visit GA in the spring. . . . I'd better hurry up on that whole A license thing. :)

As for the tv, though, if it's too high, you're definitely going to have to buy recliners. :D
TPM Sister #102

I've ended up putting mine off to the side of the fireplace. It's not ideal, but given the layout of my living room, it's the best solution. Like your living room, the wall with the fireplace really has to be the focus of the room.

I also thought about mounting a flat screen above the fireplace but 1) I don't have one and it's not really in the budget and 2) my living room is not that big and the TV would wind up far too high to be comfortable to watch from pretty much everywhere in the room. So, I make do with it off to the side and so far it hasn't really bugged me.

Then again, I'm not much of a videophile - I've still got an old 27 inch TV that I inherited from a friend when he upgraded to a big screen. :D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke