dzdiva

Okay computer geeks!

Your request was for free anti-virus, not spyware... Two Different Fights. AVG's spyware is free, but is not an anti-virus. A lot of the application developers have some portion of "free," such as scanning, but the solution costs. For example, Norton will let you download any version of their trialware to scan your system & drives for viruses, spyware, etc. for free, but if you want them removed after the 15 day trial, you'll have to buy one of their packages Norton Free Trialware.

Anyway, the point is... the _free_ AVG is an anti-spyware, not an anti-virus. They do offer a total solution package - for a price, but the free spyware is just the hot dog for going to the car lot to test drive the car.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

AVG still has free anti-virus protection software available.
They were regarded as the best freeware version of av software for a while. I guess that's why they're moving towards a more commercial mindset.

You can still get 'basic' av protection for free here:http://free.grisoft.com/

Not sure what all basic protection covers but you might check it out.
I'm not a network/security guru but I'd think it's probably good enough for home/personal use.

I'm looking for anti-virus downloads. Preferably free.;) Any advice?:)
Where's Kris when you need him?!?:S

AVG is the best free or otherwise out there. But what do I know, I'm a Certified Information Systems Security Professional and Certified Ethical Hacker.

I stand corrected on the number of offerings, however, the full functionality is expressed in the fine print below... And will reiterate... "They do offer a total solution package - for a price, but the spyware freeware is just the hot dog for going to the car lot to test drive the car. "
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

That is a very fair point. However I believe using Grisoft free products, HJT, and a properly configured firewall plus Firefox is much better than something such as the Norton suite. Its what I use on my gaming rig and reccomend to home customers and have very few to no callbacks as a result.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

I have found Avast to be the most pleasing in my experience out of all of the offerings out there, which include free and software which requires a purchase and/or a yearly "subscription" to virus definition updates.

Tip: Don't ever pay for AV software. If it costs you anything, it's not as good as what you can get for free. That also goes for anti-spyware and anti-adware. Also, do not ever purchase anything that claims to block popups. They are useless in this day and age. I never see a single popup.

I'm a Network Administrator, IT Technician and PBX (phone) administrator for Emerson Climate Technologies, have a CompTIA A+ certification, a Network Administration certificate, an IC3 certification and 7 years experience on the job in Information Technology, just in case you're wondering about my "credentials". :)
I personally also recommend Firefox web browser, including extensions (plugins) such as Adblock Plus, NoScript and Cookiesafe. I personally use those and IETab which is also very useful, but not anything to do with security. Adblock Plus and NoScript are very popular extensions.

You can read some articles that I have written on my personal website here:

Antivirus and Spyware Solutions for Free: http://www.chrisgrooms.net/blog/malware/antivirus-and-spyware-solutions-free/
Email: How not to get infected http://www.chrisgrooms.net/blog/security/email-how-not-to-get-infected/
Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus http://www.chrisgrooms.net/blog/security/the-best-anti-malware-applications-how-to-use-them/

Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I'm looking for anti-virus downloads. Preferably free.;) Any advice?:)
Where's Kris when you need him?!?:S

*perks ears up*

Heya, hon!

Sorry, been away a bit. :)
Definitely check out either Grisoft or Avast. I've used both with great results.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™