simplyputsi

Anyone mount a plasma from the ceiling??

I'm looking for anyone that has mounted a plasma or lcd from the ceiling. Not a tiny one either. One over 40inches.
My main question is on the mounts. I don't see how they attach to a stud, or around it. From the looks of it the attachment part is too large for a stud. I would think you have to loop something over the stud??
Ugghhhhhhh. Or if anyone can tell me why there are no studs in the wall behind my fireplace, above it anywhere that would be awesome.

I'm aware this post blows.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

if anyone can tell me why there are no studs in the wall behind my fireplace, above it anywhere that would be awesome

I would think that would be obvious... 1) it would allow a cubby hole to be built into the wall above the fireplace and/or 2) the contractor saved a few bucks on lumber. :P
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I justed mounted a 42" to my fireplace using a 2x6 board and the mounts. The Studs were about 49" a part. We used 4 crew on each side plus 10 pairs in-between. Before we put it up I was hanging from the 2x6 board, im 184lbs. It's been there for about 2weeks now. We painted the board to make it blend in better - looks great. Anyways, thats my 2cents. :-)
Lost a ton of money chasing girls but no girls chasing money. http://whuffofree.com!!!WHUFFO FREE!!!!

I justed mounted a 42" to my fireplace using a 2x6 board and the mounts. The Studs were about 49" a part. We used 4 crew on each side plus 10 pairs in-between. Before we put it up I was hanging from the 2x6 board, im 184lbs. It's been there for about 2weeks now. We painted the board to make it blend in better - looks great. Anyways, thats my 2cents. :-)

I actually almost used your idea. It seemed to be the least invasive and best for short term mounting, which mine might be.

Instead I mounted in on a wall mount built for it, not above the fireplace. Now I've got to rearrange some stuff. Good way to spend about 60 jumps.

Hey it's free till 2009:D:D
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I didn't mount it above the fireplace.

Hiding the wires was part of the reason, but not the main one.
Nothing a channel on the wall couldn't have fixed. You'd be surprised at what that can do when you paint it the same color as the wall. I saw one that you could hardly tell was there once.

Anyway. Now my problem is finding some small shelves to hold all my stuff. Hooray:|

Skymama's #2 stalker -

I place the cords in a special tape that matches wall color. My fireplace comes into the room a few feet so it gave me a "cove" on the right side to hide cords. My digital cable box, dvd..etc..is IN the fireplace now, might get some use out of it :-) I live in Arizona why they put fireplaces here is beyond me. So if you look close you can see where the cords run but they are out of the way.
Lost a ton of money chasing girls but no girls chasing money. http://whuffofree.com!!!WHUFFO FREE!!!!

Before my wife had "the baby" I mounted our 37" LCD TV to the fireplace using concrete anchors. I sealed it just in case. No CO2 leaks and the mount does not get hot.

I drilled a 2 1/2" hole next to that area (Behind the tv) and moved all of my computers, tuners, 6.1 surround sound, 400 disc DVD Changer and WII into the closet at the top of the basement stairs.

It has worked fine so far and it is out of the kids reach when she starts to move around.

Is it code, Hell I don't know I'm not a contractor, but the house hasn't burned down and the TV works great.