billvon

Latest bike

This guy's is a lot nicer, but here at the beach, we conserve energy by using the breeze as opposed to the sun.

Only cost is an old bedsheet & a stick.B|:P

I'm actually half-way serious. During particularly windy days or especially during tropical storms or hurricanes you'll see pairs of kids on their skateboards holding a sheet between them. Same goes for people on bicycles. I think they're on to something. And you don't need all that math & stuff.:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

>How would one go about figuring out the the energy/carbon break even point of such a device?

I don't know. There have been a few analyses of solar panel breakevens but I have not seen any for battery manufacture.

>I was thinking of designing a solar powered charging station for mine, but the numbers don't seem to pencil out.

Every analysis I've seen says it's cheaper and easier to put a solar power system on your house and then use regular AC power. That way the panels are always producing power, and you just use the power you need. If you charge the bike at work, the grid acts as a "pipe" to get power from your house to the bike's batteries.

>Are you experiencing any "hostility" from random people because you're
>riding on a "different" device? For instance, when you ride past a spandex
>clad biker, have they ever made a comment that you're being lazy or
>cheating?

Only from serious bikers (the sort you find on an organized ride) and even then they're mostly kidding. "Hey! That's cheating!" they'll say as I pass them. Later often they'll come over and ask about it. (This was on an earlier version; haven't gotten any comments on this one yet.)

> What's your total cost in the entire setup?

Motor $399
Bike $149
Controller $129
Batteries free (recycled telecom lead-acid cylindrical cells)
Battery case $20

Total $697

Optional items include a nifty charge meter/speedometer, bike lights etc.

Silly bike. Low power, slow, and too artsy to be useful. Where do you attach the rack?

Ugh! $7500???:o
For that price I want reactive armor to deal the situations like last week when some jackass hit-and-run driver took out my front wheel while I was crossing an intersection.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.