PLFXpert

Killer Amoeba? Strange, but True.

my mother who was born in 1919 used to not let us swim in july through august in any water that was still, it had to be cold flowing water, stream or river, she said there was a bug in the water that would eat your brain....never heard anything about it antwhere else until now.....scary...she called the season dog days.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

OK, what's even more strange, but true is this is the first I've heard of it.

I've lived in Florida my entire life. I've always lived on or near water. I've skied and wakeboarded and swam in many lakes in the summer (too cold in the winter), none of which were ever closed.

I also read, watch & listen to the news on a regular enough basis yet, again, this is the first I've heard.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

There were three boys that died here in Orlando this summer from contracting it while swimming/wakeboarding in the lakes. And Normiss is right about one of the family's suing. He was at a waterski/wakeboard complex where they believe he got it and they feel they should have tested for the bacteria. The owners said they did test for it and the boy must have got it from another lake. The whole thing is sad.

same here...for most of my childhood was spent in the lakes all over Winter Have, the Chain of Lakes was my second home!
Swimming, skiing, kneeboard, wakeboard...that IS central Florida life for a lot of folks.
Never would I have imagined this...and I thought the earaches/ear infections were bad![:/]

the first time I heard of this was about 15 yrs ago a kid caught the bug after swimming in Stark lake in Ocoee it scared the hell out of me cause my son was very young at the time and we had been swimming in Lake Fairview all summer and the water was warm as hell
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Story here.

Thought I'd scare the shit out of some hypochondriacs this afternoon.:P

Seriously, though. I could have done w/out hearing about this one.B|

Im not 100% sure, but I think this is what killed a guy I went to school with... He was jet skiing in Lake Parker and in a very short time after wards he was dead. This was back in the early 90's.:S You couldn't drag my ass in any of the lakes around here....:S

The two from Texas happened at Lake LBJ, which is where my mom lives. It's supposed to be pretty rare to get an infection from it, so it's scary to have two cases so close to each other. But the water there did seem exceptionally warm this summer.

between the gators, the moccassins, and the dumping into that lake from the Poser plants...I have always avoided it!
It's too shallow to get a good wake to ski on anyway.
;)

there have been a number of gator attacks in Lake Parker over the years...:|