JohnRich

Houston Jumpers: Mike Goodman

Mike Goodman jumped at Skydive Houston for about two years, from around 5 to 7 years ago. I don't think there are many current Skydive Houston jumpers who will remember him. But nevertheless, for those that do, the newspaper this weekend had this story concerning his untimely death from a non-skydiving cause:
Mother wins wrongful-death suit

"A federal jury on Friday awarded the mother of a man killed by a former Harris County deputy constable about $5 million in a wrongful-death lawsuit.

"Former Precinct 4 Deputy Constable Terry Ashabranner shot and killed Michael Wayne Goodman, a 40-year-old plumber, during a confrontation on April 14, 2002..."
Complete story: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5174259.html

Sounds like the cop had every right to shoot him. Middle of the night your fighting with some guy after trying to get him out of the middle of the road and he trys to kill a police dog.

If the cop had not stopped him and he got hit by a car they would have sued for that.

Sounds like the cop had every right to shoot him. Middle of the night your fighting with some guy after trying to get him out of the middle of the road and he trys to kill a police dog.

I don't have enough data to make a judgement after reading the link, and neither do you.

If the cop had not stopped him and he got hit by a car they would have sued for that.

The article doesn't say if the bicycle had a headlight on it. A headlight that illuminates a minimum of 200ft is required for a bicycle to be ridden on a public roadway at night. Why does that matter? Because it gives the deputy a reason for the stop.

I'm know that this isn't over, there will be many appeals back and forth. The results probably won't make the paper like the initial ruling did. All in all its a rough situation for all involved. Its sad that a person lost their life. Its also sad that an officer was put in that position. [:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The article doesn't say if the bicycle had a headlight on it. A headlight that illuminates a minimum of 200ft is required for a bicycle to be ridden on a public roadway at night. Why does that matter? Because it gives the deputy a reason for the stop.

I'm know that this isn't over, there will be many appeals back and forth. The results probably won't make the paper like the initial ruling did. All in all its a rough situation for all involved. Its sad that a person lost their life. Its also sad that an officer was put in that position. [:/]

**Checking to make sure this IS Bonfire. . . **
You're just biased in favor of the man, man!!:P:P

In all seriousness, this isn't a good situation for EITHER party to be involved in.[:/]

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I would have shot him to get him off of the dog.

Deadly force in defense of a dog is not allowed under Texas law. Even for a police dog. You would go to prison for murder.

Another cop found a gun in the water-filled ditch, about two days later. Was it really Mike's, or was that just planted there to provide the excuse needed to get the other cop off the hook for the shooting? There are suspicious circumstances about that.

If he had the gun all along where he could easily reach for it, then why didn't he just shoot the dog instead of engaging in hand-to-jaw combat? Hmmm? Doesn't that raise your eyebrow a bit?

If a vicious dog was tearing me apart, I'd try and drown it in self-defense too.

Mike may have behaved inappropriately for the circumstances, but he didn't deserve an on-the-spot execution.

I would have shot him to get him off of the dog.

Deadly force in defense of a dog is not allowed under Texas law. Even for a police dog. You would go to prison for murder.

isn't a police dog considered an officer, legally? i thought it made attacking a police dog a crime...

MB 3528, RB 1182

isn't a police dog considered an officer, legally? i thought it made attacking a police dog a crime...

A dog is a dog, not a human.

Some states may have made it a felony to attack a police dog, but it is never a capital crime worthy of the death sentence. Dogs are just property, under the law.

You're entitled to your opinion as am I. Sometimes you pay dearly for your behavior. IMO he got what was coming to him for striking an officer,resisting arrest and trying to drown a police dog.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course. But your opinion is not in agreement with the law. Practice what you preach at your own peril.

Would you like to see all police officers shoot all suspects who resist arrest? I hear that's popular in Burma right now.

Are you banned form the SC again?

There's another opinion of yours which is incorrect, and which could have been easily discounted with a quick, simple search. Perhaps you should look before you leap type.

I have better things to do with my time then research if you have been banned from the SC.

So you've got enough time to make the accusation, but not enough time to find out if the accusation is true or not, even though the evidence is readily available and quickly retrievable.

I see.